Egyptian judoka refuses to shake Israeli's hand after match

Beyond the religious/political aspects involved in this case, I think MMA has more fairplay than Judo & other sports.

Anti-Semitism is one of the three acceptable forms of identity discrimination - didn't you know?

Anti-Semitism is one of the three acceptable forms of identity discrimination - didn't you know?

No, its not, its probably the least accepted.

Also the official greeting is bowing, not shaking hands.

Would have been better if he won.
Exactly. If you're going to be a cocky c*nt at least be good. Now he just looks like a big baby.

Has Egypt won anything yet? I know those beach volleyball players lost to the Germans and this guy got tossed around by an Israeli. Poor showing it seems.
Is that why they have laws against Holocaust denial and bigotry in Europe?
Also the official greeting is bowing, not shaking hands.
He didn't even do that until the ref told him to though.

He didn't even do that until the ref told him to though.

Of course, because not bowing would get him penalized, since its the obligatory form of greeting in Judo.

Shaking hands is not, you can get away with not shaking hands in judo.

Violates the spirit of the games for sure.

Of course, because not bowing would get him penalized, since its the obligatory form of greeting in Judo.

Shaking hands is not, you can get away with not shaking hands in judo.
Its clear he was a sore loser is what I'm saying. If he refused the hand shake but bowed instead it wouldn't be a big deal to me but he tried to avoid doing even that.

Did he bow?
When the ref forced him to and apparently he just nodded his head, kind of like how a little kid mumbles an apology when they're forced to apologize by an adult.

Surely there is some hate crime legislation that can be leveraged against him

Its clear he was a sore loser is what I'm saying. If he refused the hand shake but bowed instead it wouldn't be a big deal to me but he tried to avoid doing even that.

Im merely stating why he wasnt penalized for unsportsmanship. you have to bow before and after combat, otherwise you are out.

I was replying to the notion that the IJF is ok with antisemitism because they didnt do shit to the Egyptian guy for lack of sportsmanship.

What the hell are you talking about? In a lot of countries you get thrown in prison for expressing anti semitic beliefs.

What the hell are you talking about? In a lot of countries you get thrown in prison for expressing anti semitic beliefs.
Do you really get thrown in prison? I thought those laws established fines as the punishment and not imprisonment.

Do you really get thrown in prison? I thought those laws established fines as the punishment and not imprisonment.
I remember reading about some guy in Germany who got jail time but maybe I'm misremembering.

Back