Egotistical Training Pratners

Knots619

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I have trained nogi bjj with meny people,; most of witch had excellent attitudes and mantalities and were a plesure to train with...but i have also trained with a few people with massive egos. You know the guys their the ones who:

*"never tap"
*always tend to have an excuse for why you "caught" them
*make you see stars & and joints pain while LIGHTLY working technique
*talk about how good they are...

Among meny other things.

This thread is for people to vent about their expirences with the 'Egotistical Training Pratner'

Never really had much experience with this. The closest is a while back when I was rolling with this dude who seemed to be getting close to a blue belt. The guy was big--outweighed me by about 20lbs--and we were just supposed to be doing light, warm-up type of rolling. Instead, this dude proceeded to power through everything and tapped me about 5 times in about 10 minutes. The guy was more experienced than me so it was kind of surprising that he would go so balls-out. Hopefully he felt better about himself for owning me so fiercely in our light roll.

Not really, I don't have this problem much, and guys that never tap sometimes you are not performing the technique efficiently enough to tap them.

If some spaz is attempting a half ass kimura that he thinks is super tight but really feels like a gentle massage from a young Filipino child I'm not likely to tap. Does that make me a dick or his techniques inefficient? I would say the latter..

Now if you have a good technique locked on and he doesn't tap, he will probably end up injured often and will suffer in his training therefore pwning himself.

I did however have a guy trying to judo throw me on my head the other day when we were just drilling pummeling. That was a treat.

I have trained nogi bjj with meny people,; most of witch had excellent attitudes and mantalities and were a plesure to train with...but i have also trained with a few people with massive egos. You know the guys their the ones who:

*"never tap"

Among meny other things.

This thread is for people to vent about their expirences with the 'Egotistical Training Pratner'

Maybe they'ren ot taping b/c you don't have the move applied correctly and they don't feel the need to tap for a move thats not affecting fully and they still have the opprtunity to counter or escape.

*"never tap"

and i can add:

*thoose who apply 10 times the force when they dont tap you instead of reviewing their technique.
*thoose who janks and crancks their locks and chockes because they have to to get it, since their base and setups sucks.

I gotta be honest I haven't come across many people like this....

Last night I had a RNC on a higher belt and he didnt tap (although his face was purple) but I didnt take it personally I give him a lot of credit for fighting out of it so hard. How is he going to fight out of it in a tourney if he doesnt get used to fighting out of it in class?? Its not personal!

BJJ class is a room of testosterone filled dudes who are competing with one another...of course you are going to bump heads with a few of them once in a while!

I like the guys that are SO serious about their training that they're quiet, tightlipped and never smile. Are these guys even having any fun??

I've had a peekaboo choke on a couple people and they gurgle and hack and their faces turn colors but they refuse to tap to it, luckily while they do all that I can just transition to mount..if they don't want to tap you can always transition to something else.... the only move I've never had problems with people tapping to is an exekial from the back b/c it elicits that "omfg what just happened" flailing arms and legs response.

I know some blues that hate being tapped by whites, so they will not tap from a sub for pretty long.

W/e, if it emulates real competition better i'm all for it. I'm not going to go crank something real hard ala frank mir, but i want to at least know if my submission is hurting them.

I just hate the guys that are like "blah blah blah blah i have 3 years of BJJ experience, blah" and then when i see them training they put nil to no effort into it. And then when i roll with them, tap them out because they have horrible work ethic. I also hate the people that are like "oh i've done this millions of times so i dont have to drill it with the rest of class."

Maybe they'ren ot taping b/c you don't have the move applied correctly and they don't feel the need to tap for a move thats not affecting fully and they still have the opprtunity to counter or escape.

i see where your coming from, with my experience i had a guy in side mount and locked in a keylock, i locked it in correctly and while i was tourquing it his face squinched up and i heard his sholder crackel...(the guy i was training with was brand new to bjj and seemed like he had a "i dont tap" attitude), i let go of the sub, the last thing i want to do is hinder a guys training because hes too stupid to tap, i had a talk with him and such, and i havent rolled with him since. i mean though it really dont help your taining in that situition, i had the sub correctly sunk in, i could of easily broke his sholder if i wasnt paying attention, thats something you shouldnt have to worry about while rolling...

Yeah, I had a friend of mine brand new to grappling in an omoplata, had it pretty much sunk in but I knew he wouldn't tap to it so I had to let it go. He then proceeded to sit on me due to him outweighing me by 60 pounds, even though im about 215.

PS Knots619, check out my avatar. kekeke

Yeah, I had a friend of mine brand new to grappling in an omoplata, had it pretty much sunk in but I knew he wouldn't tap to it so I had to let it go. He then proceeded to sit on me due to him outweighing me by 60 pounds, even though im about 215.

PS Knots619, check out my avatar. kekeke

when you tap out to a guy sitting on you its known as the "Obeasity Crush" hah

Fedor + double fisting ice cream cones = a true champ

I hate when people risk an injury because of their ego.

When i first got my blue belt, I caught a fresh purple in an armbar from guard and had it on real tight. I was pulling a good bit too, and he wouldn't tap. After a few seconds he stood up and did a little slam on me. He was about to get out, so I let go.

I wouldn't have even changed facial expressions if I tapped him, just reset, slapped hands, and gone again. He could have really hurt himself, but hey, at least he got out and didnt get tapped by a blue, right?

i like these type. If you can keep them from moving and tap them with a basic technique then their ego will be shut down. However, if they still keep the ego (against you) its probably because they truly believe that they can catch you, maybe you "just got lucky" in their eyes. Thats why i prefer simple subs when dealing with wild bodies and serious egos as opposed to beating them/subbing them with speed and athleticism.

Just my preference.

Not yet, haha. The people I roll with are all classy when it comes to JJ.

I don't get this either, in one of my first few classes, I messed up my elbow a little bit because the other guy didn't feel me tap, so now I make you I slap the mofo hard and fast. Fuck the ego, a screwed up joint that could force you to sit out a few weeks or months is not worth it.

The non-tappers I dont get. IF you have a choke and the guy wont tap, just put him to sleep, plain and simple. If he is gurgling and squirming, YOU DONT HAVE THE CHOKE, you are just close enough to cause alot of discomfort. Next time get it right and just put him out.

If its a joint lock, and I have a guy who wont tap, I'll wait and hold him ever increasing pressure, if his arm pops, so be it.

But yes the others (ego men on your list) do annoy the hell out of me. But the non-tappers dont, because I dont mind hurting/putting someone to sleep the least bit. I'm not going to take of an arm or put anyone into a coma, but I am also not going to baby an out of control ego either.

I don't have this problem, usually. Even when I tap and I go "Oh, I was tired," I try to re-emphasize that I'm not making excuses.

There's this one guy though, he's new, but he keeps spouting off factoids about fighting right from a book. And he can't roll for shit yet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gladiator47
Back