Egg Protein Safe?

spiff1242

White Belt
Reaction score
So I'm considering trying out some powdered egg protein cause I found out I'm allergic to my whey stuff. However, I found a few warnings online from multiple sources saying to stay away from powdered eggs as the process causes them to have oxidized cholesterol. Just wondering if you guys know if getting just the powdered egg white is ok or will this have the same danger? I'm assuming the other articles were talking about powdered whole eggs. I'm thinking of just forgetting about all these powdered proteins and just throwing a bunch of fresh eggs in my shakes.

If you just get egg white powder you will be fine. Egg white powder does not have cholesterol in it.

Wolverine
///

spiff1242 said:
So I'm considering trying out some powdered egg protein cause I found out I'm allergic to my whey stuff. However, I found a few warnings online from multiple sources saying to stay away from powdered eggs as the process causes them to have oxidized cholesterol. Just wondering if you guys know if getting just the powdered egg white is ok or will this have the same danger? I'm assuming the other articles were talking about powdered whole eggs. I'm thinking of just forgetting about all these powdered proteins and just throwing a bunch of fresh eggs in my shakes.

raw egg whites shouldn't be consumed and must be cooked for optimum digestibility.. egg yokes however, should be consumed raw because cooking it will oxidize the lecithin and cholesterol.. :wink:

supersudo said:
raw egg whites shouldn't be consumed and must be cooked for optimum digestibility.. egg yokes however, should be consumed raw because cooking it will oxidize the lecithin and cholesterol.. :wink:
Is that right? I know about the bioavailability problems involving the protein in raw eggs but did not know it didn't pertain to the yolk. Not that I'll be separating my eggs and yolks any time soon, but that's very interesting. Any source for this?

Overeasy or sunny side-up should solve the problem then/

Urban said:
Is that right? I know about the bioavailability problems involving the protein in raw eggs but did not know it didn't pertain to the yolk. Not that I'll be separating my eggs and yolks any time soon, but that's very interesting. Any source for this?

are there proteins in the yolk?.. i just thought there were good fats among other lipids and things like vitamins, minerals.... (the good fats turn into bad fats when cooked.. all vegetable oils turn into bad oils when cooked in fact.. and u should only be frying stuff with saturated fats like butter, ghee, lard, or coconut oil bcuz they are the only oils 'stable' at cooking temperatures)

anyway, just make sure that the yolk is well-formed and not runny.. the yolk also rich in zinc and other good nutrients.. what i do, is whenever i'm making eggs.. i crack open the shell and drop the whites onto the pan while holding the yolk in 1 half of the shell.. move it back and forth between shells so the extra whites drop some more... and gulp down the yolk whole while its still cold from the fridge.. does wonders for my skin! :D

and i read it in a book.. my parents who are also expert cooks have told me this as well..

I may just start tossing the yolk in my morning smoothie then. Also, much easier than straining the yolk back and forth in the halves of the egg shell is just dumping it in your hand and straining it out in with your fingers (your hands are clean right? you wouldn't cook with dirty hands would you? ok, just checking).

Urban said:
I may just start tossing the yolk in my morning smoothie then. Also, much easier than straining the yolk back and forth in the halves of the egg shell is just dumping it in your hand and straining it out in with your fingers (your hands are clean right? you wouldn't cook with dirty hands would you? ok, just checking).

yeh.. that's what my mom does sometimes too.. :D

supersudo said:
are there proteins in the yolk?.. i just thought there were good fats among other lipids and things like vitamins, minerals.... (the good fats turn into bad fats when cooked.. all vegetable oils turn into bad oils when cooked in fact.. and u should only be frying stuff with saturated fats like butter, ghee, lard, or coconut oil bcuz they are the only oils 'stable' at cooking temperatures).

so scrambling my eggs in olive oil is not a good idea then? could you further explain why cooking with butter would be better?

the headhunter said:
so scrambling my eggs in olive oil is not a good idea then? could you further explain why cooking with butter would be better?

all vegetable oils become 'unstable' at cooking temperatures.. omega-3 chains are expecially fragile and unstable and easily broken meaning that high temps break their molecular chains causing an abundance of free-radicals..

saturated fats like butter, are 'stable' at cooking temps meaning their chains don't break and free-radicals aren't formed..

free-radicals are positively charged particles that 'scavenge' ur body for electrons sticking to and often tearing electrons off of other tissues.. and most of the free-radical damage occurs in ur liver.. this is the main reason why fried food is essentially 'bad' for u.. the fat and grease are secondary.... well IMO :D

Hey guys, you might want to check out this article about raw eggs: http://www.mercola.com/2002/nov/13/eggs.htm
If you scroll down to "What about raw egg whites" you'll find some interesting info. In summary, this researcher used to recommend cooking the egg white but not the yolk like Urban suggested. However, after further research he found it's better to eat it raw. The problem with raw egg yolks is it has a some protein that binds with B vitamins that gets destroyed when heated. Two things to consider though: 1. heating the egg white destroys all the other good proteins hurting much of the nutritional value and 2. you are actually fine if you eat the white and yolk together because the yolk is one of the best sources of vitamin b and it more than makes up for whatever the egg white binds to. So throwing out the yolks like some people do is actually not good.

Supersudo hit it right on the button about stable and unstable fats. Olive oil is not a saturated fat and will get damaged as you cook your eggs in it. I use butter on my eggs, but also be careful not to go too high on the heat. Butter has other stuff in it besides fat that will get burned (some milk solids still remain), which is why a lot of people use clarified butter or ghee so they can use it at higher temperatures.

Don't ever use powerded eggs. Bad stuff. Use real free range organic eggs from a chicken, duck, ostrich, whatever :))

spiff1242 said:
In summary, this researcher used to recommend cooking the egg white but not the yolk like Urban suggested.

ah hemm.. like 'sudo' suggested.. :wink:

:D lol

spiff1242 said:
Hey guys, you might want to check out this article about raw eggs: http://www.mercola.com/2002/nov/13/eggs.htm
If you scroll down to "What about raw egg whites" you'll find some interesting info. In summary, this researcher used to recommend cooking the egg white but not the yolk like Urban suggested. However, after further research he found it's better to eat it raw. The problem with raw egg yolks is it has a some protein that binds with B vitamins that gets destroyed when heated. Two things to consider though: 1. heating the egg white destroys all the other good proteins hurting much of the nutritional value and 2. you are actually fine if you eat the white and yolk together because the yolk is one of the best sources of vitamin b and it more than makes up for whatever the egg white binds to. So throwing out the yolks like some people do is actually not good.

nice site

one other thing that was mentioned though..

"Fresh raw egg yolk tastes like vanilla and is best combined with your vegetable pulp. You can also combine it with avocado. Only stir it gently with a fork, because egg protein easily gets damaged on a molecular level, even by mixing/blending."

guess that means you should mix it gently then add it to your shake instead of chucking it in the blender .. hmmmm

also does that mean you should not be mixing the egg with milk? or any fruits you chuck in the shake ?

Whoops, sorry bout the name mixup, sudo!

Hmm, not sure about whether it's good to mix your egg with other stuff. I'm thinking it should be ok, because I believe it is the oxidative process that damages the fats and stuff in the egg. So my guess is that exposure to air is probably the most damaging thing. The antioxidants in the fruit might actually help after the egg is broken apart. Not sure, though.

Ring Shark98 said:
So what are the chances of getting salmonella from a raw egg?

if u make sure the egg yoke is still cold from the fridge, well-formed and not runny.. that'll greatly decrease ur chances..

also, if u have strong intestinal flora (probiotics) they'll kill any bad bacteria u consume before it gains any kind of foothold :wink:

I think the stats on getting salmonella from eggs are on that link I posted above. For your normal supermarket egg, your chances of getting salmonella are 1 in 20,000 according to what I've seen. Now, that is assumming that you close your eyes, pick up and egg and eat it. If you actually visually inspect the egg for cracks and look to make sure it's not cloudy when you crack it, the chance is way way lower. On top of that, if you get free range organic eggs where they don't keep the birds in cages bleeding on each other and living in crap, you are pretty darn safe.
Also, if you do get salmonella, eating some cultured yogurt (with live culture written on the package) or taking a bunch of probiotic pills should take care of it. Eating eggs raw is really quite safe.

Back