Efficacy of Ammonia Packets

deadshot138

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
Tons of people use these so they must work, but I don't believe I got anything out of them when I tried. Are you supposed to sniff them gingerly or take it like a line of coke?

What were you hoping to get out of sniffing ammonia?

What were you hoping to get out of sniffing ammonia?
I actually used them to get through the intense phase of smolov but whenever I used them I didn't feel the need to yell or scream like the people you see use them at meets or going for a max in the gym.

but whenever I used them I didn't feel the need to yell or scream like the people you see use them at meets or going for a max in the gym.

Hmm. Have you considered that.....this actually has nothing to do with smelling ammonia?

Might get better results trying an actual line of coke.

Is it an issue of no effect(jolt of adrenaline) at all or just that it didn't meet your expectations?

No effect at all aside from burning my nostrils.

https://digitalcommons.odu.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1000&context=hms_etds

" Within the limits of this study, there was no ergogenic effect of ammonia inhalation on dead-lift performance in recreational male and female weightlifters. Based on these findings, it is not recommended to strength and conditioning professionals to incorporate inhalants into their training programs. Given these findings, if athletes and/or coaches feel that ammonia inhalants have a psychological benefit for their programs, there is no basis to encourage or discourage their usage if their athlete has no prior medical issues or history similar to that which was screening in this study."

https://digitalcommons.odu.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1000&context=hms_etds

" Within the limits of this study, there was no ergogenic effect of ammonia inhalation on dead-lift performance in recreational male and female weightlifters. Based on these findings, it is not recommended to strength and conditioning professionals to incorporate inhalants into their training programs. Given these findings, if athletes and/or coaches feel that ammonia inhalants have a psychological benefit for their programs, there is no basis to encourage or discourage their usage if their athlete has no prior medical issues or history similar to that which was screening in this study."
Makes sense, I usually lift without any sort of stimulation besides caffeine.

I've used them on 3rd attempts for deadlift at most of my recent meets and testings in the past few years and occasionally in squat in max effort situations. For whatever reason I get light headed on some heavy deadlift attempts, and it seems to help combat that, pretty sure it's just placebo and I'm cool with that.

I've used them on 3rd attempts for deadlift at most of my recent meets and testings in the past few years and occasionally in squat in max effort situations. For whatever reason I get light headed on some heavy deadlift attempts, and it seems to help combat that, pretty sure it's just placebo and I'm cool with that.
It dilates the nasal passages I believe so you could have more oxygen in the blood than normal. That's my broscience guess.

Back