Effectiveness of BJJ in Judo?

Mentioned nothing of Japan, got some issues there dude?

Maybe you can have a Brazilian fetish instead, 'neftinha' could be your nick name?

If anything my nickname is a Chillean fetish because it's after a great poet. You bash bjj for no good reason for other than you did a little judo.

Ok, so i've fallen in love with the Ezekiel Choke (I believe, sode guruma jime in Jodo). It's super easy to set up, and nobody that i've rolled against so far has seen it. I remember reading though that you're not supposed to be able to finish from their guard, why is this? I've actually had pretty good success by stacking them, locking it in, then just flattening out to make it deeper. Is this just because i'm a tall guy, (about 6'3"), or am I just having beginners luck? Also, how do I defend against it when it's close to or actually locked in?

with the restrictive rulesets of Judo, you won't be able to use much bjj. Funny how some judokas here talk about "BJJ rules" favoring the bjj guy when in fact bjj has the least restrictive ruleset in all grappling styles. Every move in judo/wrestling can be used as long as it's not a twisting heel hook or a spine lock.

scores > rules for determining fighters and judo has by far the best....in an even field of skilled athletes.

I had an judo instructor, who was a 3rd degree black belt in judo and a brown belt in bjj. His judo class consisted of a great deal of ne waza. And while knowledgeable on throws, he often said he took people down in competition because he knew he had a greater chance at winning. He knew sweeps, more knowledgeable on submissions... So I think it can work very well, just depends on your technique and how you apply it to your game. Conversely, if you're ippon'd before you grapple none of that really matters.

Judo in BJJ :

YouTube - Rafael Pereira x Olianas Clement by X-COMBAT

I have the chance of training in a club with that guy and many top level judokas of France, and in that club bjj and judo is practiced equally.

The problem with bjj in judo, once a judoka has passed your guard he will stiffle your game in a pretty frustrating way by just sitting on his ass, in side control and just pressuring you hard. If the guy is bigger than you, it's gonna be a hell to get up, and obviously you won't have time for that.

I do agree that a lot of black belts in judo can have a sub part ground game, but most of them have a blue belt level in subs. That being said, I often find they're incredibly more athletic, which is an obvious advantage. The amount of strenght and explosivity required to practice decent judo is a lot more important than in bjj I think.

I could write pages and pages about what it's gonna bring you but in short...

Judo in BJJ :

-obviously tremendous help on your stand up (although you need to do a bit of wrestling too and to mix em up well, which I find pretty tough).
-you'll find yourself using your understanding of throws also on the ground too, I don't know how to explain it, but you'll see.
- you'll be a way better turtle. :p

BJJ in judo :
-way better newaza than the average. Better subs, incredibly better sweeps.

I find the hard thing rolling with judokas is to never leave them an opening to pass, if they do, they just control you and wait for the clock which is unbearable at times (esp against bigger guys). The other frustrating thing is guys turtling and doing nothing. a judoka with a slight bjj training turtling is just really really hard to sub.

On the positive part, at an equal level of experience you're gonna play with them in your guard like toys.

EDIT : on the trips thing, I don't really understand it either. I see a lot of judokas not really using any trip. One reason could be the range required to use them, and the precentage of effectiveness. Trips look less effective than a brutal arm throw on the whole. Then again, it also depends on your body type.

Last edited:
Back