Edwards performed pretty well against Usman

Luckyme

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
I just watched Edwards vs. Usman and am impressed at how well Leon did on the ground despite the loss. He showed fairly good TD defense, was able to get back to his feet when taken down, and even threatened a few submissions from the bottom. Usman didn't get off a whole lot of GnP on him either and really had to work for most of those takedowns. Mind you this was a few years ago so he's only improved since then.

Now I'm rethinking Khamzat's chances against him. If Khamzat struggles to take him down, his path to winning becomes very narrow. Yeah he's got KO power but Leon can stand and trade too plus we don't know what Khamzat's cardio is like. Thoughts?

It doesn't matter brudda, Leon gonna get smeshed on ground or smeshed on feet

Leon will work Khamzat out toward the end of the first round and outwork him from round two onwards.
Leon’s timing is arguably the best in the entire division. Khamzat is going to have to be prepared to eat some elbows.

Leon is legit, no doubt about that. It's just hard to make a prediction cause we really don't know all that much about Khamzat. But if Leon can keep this fight on the feet, I'm inclined to think he will win a decision. His footwork, distance management, and technical striking is very good. Elite point fighter (as boring as that is).

I just watched Edwards vs. Usman and am impressed at how well Leon did on the ground despite the loss. He showed fairly good TD defense, was able to get back to his feet when taken down, and even threatened a few submissions from the bottom. Usman didn't get off a whole lot of GnP on him either and really had to work for most of those takedowns. Mind you this was a few years ago so he's only improved since then.

Now I'm rethinking Khamzat's chances against him. If Khamzat struggles to take him down, his path to winning becomes very narrow. Yeah he's got KO power but Leon can stand and trade too plus we don't know what Khamzat's cardio is like. Thoughts?

Leons legit champsionship material... I know people dont like him but he has the skills. Gonna be laughing when he tools Khamzat every round and gets a boring decision.

Even like Leons chances in a rematch against Usman too. Wouldn’t surprise me if he ends up being champion eventually.

UFC just being UFC is all

cant be having belts change hands like that .. we need stars with title defenses

<Goldie11>

He defended few poorly executed TK's from Usman but he still got taken down and held down by Usman. He was dominated and Khamzat is arguably stronger then Usman

Leon has to win. I hope it's by decision. That way, hazmat can still improve, smesh fools and be a future champ. Seeing Leon lose, even though he comes off as a prick, would fucking suck. Plus hazmat hasn't tested himself the right way by fighting through contenders. He hasn't been tested. It's like cody all over again.

He defended few poorly executed TK's from Usman but he still got taken down and held down by Usman. He was dominated and Khamzat is arguably stronger then Usman
Not seen enough of Khamzat to even argue how strong he is lol

Do you think Leon's technical striking beats Hazmats striking? ..Since you said Hazmat will probably lose if he can not take Leon down?

Leon is one of those Technical Fighters...very technically sound. Leon is a smart guy..smart fighter. He reminds me of a Smith..Maurice Smith was smart at being technical to win a fight. I had to grow in watching his fights to like him. Leon reminds me of that.

It is hard to judge a technical fighter. Like a counter punch fighter. They can always turn the fight.

I think Leon is a true test for Hazmat and fans. We do not know where to put him yet. So far he is looking scary.

American wrestling has nothing on caucasus wrestling. Not even close. Khamzat wont have a problem running through Edwards.

If you’ve got any morals, you want Leon to win. It’s that simple.

uSKqzCxtrRfbLfK5IhZjf_dmYx7Sr-0Su8TeNSXDIVugfF51vZ17Lmz3s93riuwOx5pPguzvZgPJSk3KaZn1ojFP

Big jumps up in class are rarely fruitful. Leon batters him.

Borz will finish Edwards in devastating fashion on the feet after wearing him down on the ground. This is his real coming out party. No doubt Leon has improved since that fight. For his sake I certainly hope so, because Khamzat absolutely wrecks that Leon.

Last edited:
American wrestling has nothing on caucasus wrestling. Not even close. Khamzat wont have a problem running through Edwards.
Caucasus wrestling (freestyle) is good at taking people down. American wrestling (folkstyle) is much better at keeping guys down.

Everyone is sleeping on Leon. Before Giblerto was on his current tear everyone was hyping him as the man (with hopefully a bit more improvement) to decision Usman, now he'll lose to a 1-0 MW? This is the most hyped I'll ever be for a Scotty fight because I know I'll be making easy money.

Caucasus wrestling (freestyle) is good at taking people down. American wrestling (folkstyle) is much better at keeping guys down.

Freestyle doesn't belong to the Caucauses. Countries all over the world from Cuba to Japan train in freestyle and it's used in Olympic competition.

Trips, throws, single leg, double leg, and other takedowns are standard techniques practiced by all kinds of wrestlers. Khamzat's takedowns aren't that different from other wrestlers like Usman.

What differentiates him from others is the mat wrestling. That's where he'll have the advantage if he can take Leon to the ground. The Caucaus style that Khabib popularized - tying up your opponent, advancing positions while GnPing, etc - is one Khamzat also utilizes and is far more effective than what pure D-1 wrestlers like Usman, Colby, and Askren can do.

Back