Educate Me on Michael Chandler

Ether13

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Seems to be a lot of hype around this guy, but how good is he?
I don’t follow Bellator, but I see he has a decent record. Dan Hooker is good, but is a win over him worthy of a title shot in one of the deepest divisions?

UFC is really pushing this guy down our throats. Should I bet on him or Chuck?

From a technical perspective, i think he's good at beating people up. when he punches others in the face, it hurts pretty bad. and when he kicks, it hurts too. Sometimes he punches and kicks his opponent more times than he gets punched or kicked, in which case he usually wins.

I really think if he can stick to his strategy of punching and kicking his opponents more than he gets punched and kicked, he can really go far in the UFC.

Last edited:
Usually wins but has a few bad loses. Can give out much more that he can take, he’s a physical specimen but is short for the division. He’s tough and has a huge heart but likes to brawl a bit too much for my liking.

Hes been been one of the best LWs in the world for many years now. I think hes likely at the tail end of his prime, but he got fast tracked into this title fight I believe hes gonna win. I dont think he will hold the belt very long but good for him he deserves it

Would not bet on that fight. He could win, but he could also get caught in a sub pretty easily.

He is good. You don't beat Hooker and dominate Bellator by being a total fraud. Is he great though? I guess we're about to find out.

I don’t follow Bellator, but I see he has a decent record. Dan Hooker is good, but is a win over him worthy of a title shot in one of the deepest divisions?

He should have had another fight in the UFC but what can you do with Poirer chasing Mcgregor for the money.

He is your typical wrestle/boxer and has a hell of a overhand When he gets beaten he generally gets finished in decent fashion.
He will not go on a long run but could definitely hold the belt. He is the type of guy that will lose a fight and look terrible before coming back and having a string of awesome fights before losing again. If he came to the UFC earlier he probably would have held the belt pre Khabib, lost it and then won it again if that makes sense.

low-test-lanklet-beta-high-test-manlet-alpha-manlet-fantasy-52673552.png

Strong wrestle boxer with big power in his hands. He’s looked top level for several years, but isn’t unbeatable. Only true loss he has in the past 6 years is Patricio Pitbull, who is very legit. I think he can hang at the top of the division but wouldn’t bet on him consistently beating the best. I think he can beat Oliveira but not one I’d bet on.

Last edited:
How are people actually asking this stuff? Like where have you been? I’m always fucking around when I make fun of ufc casuals but it’s actually a thing. How do ppl just watch UFC? Like how is it possible to just watch one promotion when there’s so many good fighters out there? Do you honestly think the UFC is the “best of the best” and nobody else out there is any good? This really is the dumbest shit I’ve ever seen.

The UFC has a ton of great fighters but their champs are not always the best in the world and there are plenty of guys outside who can be in their top 5. You are missing a large portion of this sport if you only watch UFC. I couldn’t imagine watching McGregor as the LW champ in 2016 and actually thinking he’s the best like Gaethje and Chandler wouldn’t have come from WSOF and Bellator and smoked him easily. It’s crazy to me.

Top 5 quality guy, hits really hard, great offensive wrestler. Not better than Poirier, Gaethje, or Olivera imo.

hype???? the man puts in hard work everyday and starches hooker.. go claw back under the rock

I wouldn't bet on this fight. Chandler is one unpredictable fighter. He either does really well or does really poorly against fighters who are similar in their levels.
Well put, especially the betting (or not) advice. Chandler is coming off several 1st round KO wins, but none of the fighters he beat were elite. (No, Bellator shills, the 37-year old corpse of Bendo is no longer elite.) Before that he was KO'd in the 1st round. So he hasn't been in a long fight or taken to deep waters in quite a while. I know he's a very confident/positive person, but I have to wonder if he's being overconfident or looking past this fight. He's already talking about challenging Khabib's legacy in a few years and going to WW.

The next 3 years will determine where Chandler really stands in the supreme organization of this Sport. All of this other stuff is just pure speculation on the side.

He joined parlor but adopted a black kid so reddit doesn't know if he is racist or not.

As a Div 1 wrestler (UCLA) and black belt in BJJ it is clear to me that a BJJ can not take down a Div 1 wrestler. Maya is an exception of the rule. So this fight will be 80% standup with some scrambles and Chandler ground and pound then getting back up. In my opinion, Chandler is a better striker , better TDD and will win.

Back