Eduardo Dantas helps favela surfer achieve his dream

ShaolinSubzz

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Hi all, its been a while since I've been on Sherdog. I'm busy in the final stages of editing my documentary on the MMA fighters from the favela of Santo Amaro in Rio - please follow the film on facebook - its real close to getting finished!

Anyhow - I thought I'd bring you this uplifting story which is a theme that runs through all my interactions in the favelas - one of a community with some outstandingly giving individuals who make it their prerogative to help others - no where is this more true than in Santo Amaro.

http://sportv.globo.com/site/combat...e-vida-dudu-dantas-patrocina-bodyboarder.html

Basically to summarise

Eduardo recognised the sacrifices a surfer was being forced to make to persue his dream so he personally sponsored the surfer getting him flights to Chile to a bodyboarding tournament that the young surfer then won.

d1.jpg

A heartwarming story - common in the world of sports - an MMA fighter and a bodyboarder. Santo Amaro favela fighter Dudu Dantas, owner of the Bellator bantamweight title ssympathised with the boy's life story, a world junior champion of the sport of bodyboarding who lives in a favela in Copacabana.

Companion of Jose Aldo, Dudu Dantas decided to support the campaign of the young surfer this season just to know the trials and difficulties that the fellow must pass the beginner career and bankrolled his trip to Chile 's stage, which begins on Friday, in Arica, valid for the World Bodyboard. - I knew the story of Socrates and identified myself.

The early career is really complicated, especially when it is not in football, which has more investment in Brazil. In the struggle it is very difficult to have a support at the beginning, bodyboarding like MMA is no different.

"When you are born in the then slum, everything gets complicated (laughs). But we can not give up. I did not give up, he did not give up. Socrates is a very special young, too talented and a good person. We chose the path of sport to succeed in life, and is already reaping the fruits of it. He won the world last year, and I'm cheering for him to be champion this year, as I was champion of the Bellator (laughs). It is a pride for the Brazilian people, it is the result which shows that it is worth investing in the sport. I am very happy to work a little with his victory in life and at sea" - said Dudu to Combate.com

Fan of mixed martial arts, Socrates knew the work Dudu Dantas - who recovered the Bellator belt by beating Marcos Loro - and reveals inspiration in the history of compatriot.

Socrates had this to say - He was born in a poor community and still managed to conquer his dreams. This is inspiring, and when we met in person it was amazing. We exchanged many ideas, he gave me many tips. I'm competing with the professionals this season, and he told me to go up boldly show everything I know, just as he did when he began to fight more experienced guys. I was honored with this partnership because I know he did it from the heart. I still gave more motivation to win the championship, and I will do everything to come back from Chile with the title of the stage.

Pretty cool of him. Thanks TS.

Socrates Santana is such an awesome name that I wished he went into MMA.

Wait bro...dudu like doo doo?

With a name like Socrates, he could have been a Ninja Turtle had he chosen to go that route.

Hey guys, thought I'd give you an update!

The man with the best name in all surfing won the competition stage in Chile!

This is a translation of his facebook update

I'm champion! I'm champion! I won the opening of the stage of the circuit. Very stoked for this achievement! Happy birthday to my brother @igoorsantana_ who wcame third. Santana Brother's // Happy that I won the first event of the state tour and had the pleasure of having my brother Igor Santana coming in 3rd place. The Santana's brother!! Gt BoardsMillfield Prep SchoolFelipe Lima-SougeniusWet Dreams Brazil

13667776_1383590754989174_1774431743588391346_o.jpg

13876665_1382916411723275_57760087744066828_n.jpg

How much of a surfer does the guy who came in second look lol

Back