Edson Barboza's chin

Dontevenguess93

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I know it's hip around here to knock the chins of pro fighters, Barboza is at the forefront of these kinds of discussions. What I want to know is how you guys can think his chin is that bad?

Barboza ate as many if not more shots from Pearson than did Sanchez yet Edson was never hurt or in trouble let alone dropped. He was hurt against Castillo but to be fair Castillo decapitated his next opponent with the same punch and had almost finished Johnson by strikes as well. Varner speaks for himself in that he's rocked everyone he's fought in the UFC with his punches.

Do you guys ever stop to think about things situationally? I know it's hip to say this guys chin sucks or that guys chin sucks but you have to look at it on a case by case basis. In my opinion as a fan, not a fighter, how hard the punch is itself isn't as important as when the punch lands. Cerrone's jab is the epitome of that as it caught him coming in and still it wasn't like he was brutally KO'd.

All in all, the guy has one KO/TKO loss on his record of 15 fights, and has only been dropped twice in his career. Do you really think his chin is garbage? Or could he just need a lot of work on his defense?

People talk way to much crap about Barboza's chin, i mean sure he doesn't have a great chin but it is not as weak as everybody says it is.

People talk way to much crap about Barboza's chin, i mean sure he doesn't have a great chin but it is not as weak as everybody says it is.

I can agree with that. Another example of that IMO is Bendo. Bendo is durable as he'll but he gets dropped left and right even against guys who are notoriously not power punches like Edgar, Miller, and Guida. The difference is Bendo is so well rounded in scrambling and so experienced guys never land the necessary follow up shots to finish the deal. In addition he's hard to submit as well.

I don't think his chin's as bad as his ability to avoid punches. FWIW, I think he's in the 'chinny' bracket compared to those who we know take a shot.

I can agree with that. Another example of that IMO is Bendo. Bendo is durable as he'll but he gets dropped left and right even against guys who are notoriously not power punches like Edgar, Miller, and Guida. The difference is Bendo is so well rounded in scrambling and so experienced guys never land the necessary follow up shots to finish the deal. In addition he's hard to submit as well.

Bendo usually gets caught while he's off balance and recovers fairly quickly. Barboza just gets blasted.

Not a suspect chin, just very poor defense and way to much confidence in his striking! Barboza has amazing striking but his head movement/feints and defense are somewhat lacking! Varner is a awesome boxer with tremendous power for 155 pounds(Reminds me of Gomi as far as devastating power) and Barboza should have known better then to try to box with him! As far as the Cowboy fight its seems he once again took his opponent lightly and just charged in without being defensive. He paid for that mistake dearly, hopefully he can learn from those losses!

Not a suspect chin, just very poor defense and way to much confidence in his striking! Barboza has amazing striking but his head movement/feints and defense are somewhat lacking! Varner is a awesome boxer with tremendous power for 155 pounds(Reminds me of Gomi as far as devastating power) and Barboza should have known better then to try to box with him! As far as the Cowboy fight its seems he once again took his opponent lightly and just charged in without being defensive. He paid for that mistake dearly, hopefully he can learn from those losses!

I don't know if he really has too much confidence. He said before the Cowboy fight that he was not going to outpoint him. His intention was always kill or be killed and make an action packed fight. I think he could have kept distance and out pointed cowboy by speed alone but that was never his intention. He came rushing in trying to take Cowboys head off from the opening bell and paid for it.

He has also mentioned on several occasions he values being exciting over winning.

Uhh what? Please elaborate on that. Varner hits hard but he's far from the hardest hitters in the division. Trujillo took his hardest shots and then starched him

Uhh what? Please elaborate on that. Varner hits hard but he's far from the hardest hitters in the division. Trujillo took his hardest shots and then starched him

I'm not the one who wrote that but to be fair Varner does hit very hard. He has hurt every opponent he's fought and Trujilio fought a remarkably gassed Varner who took yet another fight on short notice. By the time Varner boxed with him he was stumbling around due to exhaustion.

Not a bad chin at all. His defense is what lets him down

His chin is fine. But his boxing defense is lacking. He react normaly when getting hit clean in the chin.

(eating power shots like candy is not a normal reaction)

Instead of pro fighters we should knock the chins of posters on here. I bet a bunch of you have a rating of 1B at most.

Instead of pro fighters we should knock the chins of posters on here. I bet a bunch of you have a rating of 1B at most.

Biggest face palm in recent memory on here was the thread of whether or not you could have eaten the jab from Cerrone that dropped Edson.

Literally half of the posters think they could have eaten that punch and been ok.

I know it's hip around here to knock the chins of pro fighters, Barboza is at the forefront of these kinds of discussions. What I want to know is how you guys can think his chin is that bad?

Barboza ate as many if not more shots from Pearson than did Sanchez yet Edson was never hurt or in trouble let alone dropped. He was hurt against Castillo but to be fair Castillo decapitated his next opponent with the same punch and had almost finished Johnson by strikes as well. Varner speaks for himself in that he's rocked everyone he's fought in the UFC with his punches.

Do you guys ever stop to think about things situationally? I know it's hip to say this guys chin sucks or that guys chin sucks but you have to look at it on a case by case basis. In my opinion as a fan, not a fighter, how hard the punch is itself isn't as important as when the punch lands. Cerrone's jab is the epitome of that as it caught him coming in and still it wasn't like he was brutally KO'd.

All in all, the guy has one KO/TKO loss on his record of 15 fights, and has only been dropped twice in his career. Do you really think his chin is garbage? Or could he just need a lot of work on his defense?

Cerrones flick jab knocked him senseless ... His chin is definitely suspect

I think Barboza just has an average chin, not good or bad. Varner hits real hard and it was a barrage of punches that took him out and he persevered against Castillo and won a decision. I think Cerrone just surprised him with a very sharp jab and once he went down Cerrone didn't give him a chance to recover.

Anyone who gets hurt from strikes has a bad chin according to Sherdog, it's as if there is no weight given to defense and how many big strikes are taken by the fighter.

Remember, it wasn't long ago that it was common Sherdog fact that Cain has a glass jaw because he got momentarily affected by those flush power shots on the chin from Kongo.

Any punch can rock anyone for god sake. Look at the gif's below...which one looks like the harder punch?

tumblr_n2j8ebsh701qaa8d1o7_250.gif

diazlawler.gif

Ofcourse Hendricks hits harder but the shot Lawler took from Diaz he didn't see coming... just like this jab

Jab-Donald-Cerrone-vs-Edson-Barboza.gif

Back