Edson Barboza vs. Dan Hooker Set For UFC on FOX Milwaukee

Who Wins?

• Edson Barboza

• Dan Hooker

Results are only viewable after voting.
Kind of disappointed

I thought it was going to be Gathje vs Barboza

With Barboza's weakness to pressure and boxing, Gathje likely would've ran Barboza over!

Hopefully gaejthe-lee in the main and might make the trip from Chicago

Disappointed- really wanted the gaejthe Barboza to be penned
I think that Gaethje said after the Vick victory that he wants a bit of a break as he's had a busy last year or so (4 hard fights : Johnson / Alvarez / Poirier / Vick) in the last 13months, so I think they're gonna rest him for the rest of the year. I recall him saying he wants to buy a house and hang out and relax a bit and all that stuff.
My guess is might be Jan or Feb or March before we see Gaethje next fight someone. Everyone needs a break and he had 3 wars and then one quick victory. That's a lot of training and hard-graft for 12months straight. Plus i'm sure he will be negotiating a new deal with the UFC in the meantime.

I think that Gaethje said after the Vick victory that he wants a bit of a break as he's had a busy last year or so (4 hard fights : Johnson / Alvarez / Poirier / Vick) in the last 13months, so I think they're gonna rest him for the rest of the year. I recall him saying he wants to buy a house and hang out and relax a bit and all that stuff.
My guess is might be Jan or Feb or March before we see Gaethje next fight someone. Everyone needs a break and he had 3 wars and then one quick victory. That's a lot of training and hard-graft for 12months straight. Plus i'm sure he will be negotiating a new deal with the UFC in the meantime.
Well Edson coming off 2 beatings and last was April or May so I'd be fine waiting. Gaejthe might be " exciting" but hasn't shown me he's top 10 material yet and Barboza has been getting his clock cleaned. They're a combined 0-4 against top opposition in their last 4 (again talking top guys).
Imo, just a no brainer fight to pen.Oh well-----

EXCELLENT matchmaking. Damnit for once!
Yeah, doesn't make sense for Barboza though. Takes one guy to take useless risks without any incentive to get the things going. No wonder it's pretty rare

Yeah, doesn't make sense for Barboza though. Takes one guy to take useless risks without any incentive to get the things going. No wonder it's pretty rare

Nah he has two losses in a row, he needs a step back against a rising profile to prove he still have it and is still top 10 material, and it gives a new contender a chance to rise so it makes sense for both but for different reasons

Fucking sick!!!! Love watching these two fight. December is too long to wait for a fight as good as this.

I like Hooker but Barboza even in his recent losses has been sharpened by the tougher steel. But great match making two action pack style fighter...

200w.webp

Nah he has two losses in a row, he needs a step back against a rising profile to prove he still have it and is still top 10 material, and it gives a new contender a chance to rise so it makes sense for both but for different reasons
Nope, still doesn't make sense for Barboza.

He is ranked number 6. Either he fights somebody ranked in the top 10 to make him advance in the rankings, either he wants to get back on track and fights someone that isn't that good, not a young prospect that is on a tear... He has nothing to gain in this fight, everything to lose.

Michael Chiesa, or waiting for Ferg vs Pettis/Al vs Kevin Lee outcomes would make more sense from Barboza's point of view.

Last edited:
Nope, still doesn't make sense for Barboza.

He is ranked number 6. Either he fights somebody ranked in the top 10 to make him advance in the rankings, either he wants to get back on track and fights someone that isn't that good, not a young prospect that is on a tear... He has nothing to gain in this fight, everything to lose.

Michael Chiesa, or waiting for Ferg vs Pettis/Al vs Kevin Lee outcomes would make more sense from Barboza's point of view.

Well if he wins against the young wolf that is making waves he regains his status of perennial #6 in the division. Just my opinion btw

great booking even if I was hoping Barboza would get a tune up fight after his last two beatings. amazing opportunity for Hooker & well deserved. a three fight skid will be rough for Barboza, but I’m going Hooker here.

Barboza fan since his debut but Hooker is killing LW right now. And after watching him spar HWs going 100% theres no doubt in my mind he wlits Edson unfortunately...

Barboza is a shot fighter. Hooker is getting better, and is finally getting the respect from matchmakers. Hope he keeps his streak of finishes going (he’s finished all 7 of his wins in the UFC, including last 4 straight).

This fight makes me sad cos I don't want either to lose.

This is gonna be one HELL of a fight. I got Dan Hooker but their is NO DOUBT in my mind that Barboza could land the night ending shot. This fight I will pay to see

Kind of disappointed

I thought it was going to be Gathje vs Barboza

With Barboza's weakness to pressure and boxing, Gathje likely would've ran Barboza over!

You're not a fan of Hooker?

This is gonna be one HELL of a fight. I got Dan Hooker but their is NO DOUBT in my mind that Barboza could land the night ending shot. This fight I will pay to see
Sean Shelby and/or Mick Maynard did a great job with this one.

Barboza got mauled twice by Khabib and Lee and UFC has a way of giving favored-fighters (Barboza is one of those, for good reasons -- he is a Trooper) a break after 2 or 3 hard losses.
I doubt this goes to the ground, except *maybe* briefly by Dan Hooker. I expect a short exciting fight, 2 rounds maximum, and a stoppage.

Dan Hooker has a historical habit of finishing people, and he knows very well that this is his Big Opportunity so i don't expect him to waste it with even a decision victory.
KO or sub by Hooker. (all respect to Edson, he's hard-core and a top dude).

Barboza by 1st round clean KO.

I like Hooker, but unless he imposes a wrestling-pressure gameplan on Barboza he will lose in the striking exchanges.

Back