Edgar will end another prospects hype

You're probably right.

But there is always that chance that this is the guy, this is the match up that the elite fighter finally loses to a young prospect similar to Faber vs Rivera.

Rivera is a beast though. He was decisively winning fights, not pulling submissions out of his ass.

I am interested to see what Frankie’s tactics will be. I see a number of comments alluding to the Yair fight but I would be a little surprised if Frankie decides to take this to the ground. I believe he can out box Ortega but Ortega seems pretty durable so should be fun.

Well, I usually don't like it when UFC derails hot prospects too early, but Ortega was basically next in line for a title shot, so if he's supposedly on that level already, then he should beat Frankie as well. Although I would give Ortega a better chance against Holloway than I do against Frankie.

Frankie’s gonna kick in the door and wave the four-four.

faber wasnt on the level frankie was, ever. i get the comparison but frankie is one of the top 10 best fighters across all divisions, faber really didnt do much once aldo dominated him
exactly. Faber has been overrated since WEC. He's a cool dude and is good but not on the same calibur as Frankie

ortega will finish frankie.

easily.

Loosing to Edgar has nothing to do with hype. If you are not world class forget to even think about winning against him. Even nowadays he still gets underestimated with how high quality his game is.

Edgar imo has the best transitions into takedown and does all the changes of distance seemingless.
Maybe the most sophisticated fighter of all time regarding this aspect of mma. TJ comes very close.

No shame at all in loosing to him. This can still mean that you are top5 and a serious title contender.

Yeah, I really like Ortega, but I've got Frankie in this.

Ortega is getting better on the feet, but he wasn't beating Cub there and he's been outstruck before. The kid always seems to find a way to win though, which is awesome.

I just see Frankie being too sharp on the feet, with too much cardio, better wrestling and the experience and skill to avoid the submissions on the ground.

Going to be a fun fight regardless. It's a bit of a shame though: Frankie was next to fight for the title and Ortega was afterwards. Would've been way better if things had just played out like it was originally planned.

Ortega is not a hype train he has proved himself, where in the hell did he get associated with a hype train?
Uh has he retired undefeated with belts in at least three divisions with 100% finish rate without ever losing a single round?

No?

Then he's a overrated bum who fought hand picked match ups in a shallow division and would be exposed if he ever fought whoever my favorite fighter is. If you don't believe me I'll post a gif of him getting punched in the face once to prove he's the worst fighter ever

Ortega is getting better on the feet, but he wasn't beating Cub there and he's been outstruck before. The kid always seems to find a way to win though, which is awesome.

This is something a lot of people miss about Orgeta. He's said in interviews that he stays standing to lull his opponents into getting relaxed, comfortable, and thus allowing him better opportunities for the submission/take down later on...which he's proven. People think he pulls these subs out of his ass, not so. I'm not suggesting that Frankie will get pulled into that game...but don't think for a second his neck/limb can't get snatched in the later rounds. It's not about tiring Frankie out (he doesn't), it's about him thinking he's doing his game, then boom. Should be an interesting fight.

He talks about it at 2:40

This is something a lot of people miss about Orgeta. He's said in interviews that he stays standing to lull his opponents into getting relaxed, comfortable, and thus allowing him better opportunities for the submission/take down later on...which he's proven. People think he pulls these subs out of his ass, not so. I'm not suggesting that Frankie will get pulled into that game...but don't think for a second his neck/limb can't get snatched in the later rounds. It's not about tiring Frankie out (he doesn't), it's about him thinking he's doing his game, then boom. Should be an interesting fight.

He talks about it at 2:40

Yeah, nah, I get ya about Ortega. It's one of the things that makes him so exciting. That said, he was losing pretty handily to Clay and pulled the knockout of his ass instead in that one.

I just don't see him pulling off that gameplan on someone like Frankie. Frankie is just too slick everywhere. A big part of me would love to see him snap on a sub though.

Rivera is a beast though. He was decisively winning fights, not pulling submissions out of his ass.

What?? It's literally the opposite of what you just said. His fights always go the same way, he is losing decisively on the scorecards until he pulls a submission out of his ass. Submissions is all he has, and so far it has been enough. Reminds of Liam McGeary, once he met someone who could neutralise his submissions the game was up.

Hopefully Ortega wins
I'm sick of Edgar's 100 title shots
He's earned every shot except arguably the first time against Aldo. And that was an injury replacement too so......

It takes skill to pull off those submissions. It takes heart to fight through what he has and still be able to find a finish. These are qualities of what a champion has. Ortega will be a champion or at the very least, fighting for the belt in the future.

It’ll just be in the not too distant future, not immediate future, because he is losing to Frankie. Frankie has better stand-up and is a better grappler. Ortega might have the edge off his back, but, Frankie on top is pretty much like having Luke on top of you. He’s relentless and is very strong on top. He’s been training with Ricardo Almeida for years so he knows what to expect from Ortega. It can still happen, but, smart money should be on Frankie.

But, to those saying Ortega is hype, have you guys not watched his fights? How can you say he’s hype? He’s not tapping guys with miracle leg locks 25 seconds into a fight. Plus he just tapped Cub. A lot of people wanted Cub to get a title shot or thought he was pretty close to one. I think that victory solidified him as a contender, not a hype job.

He's earned every shot except arguably the first time against Aldo. And that was an injury replacement too so......

I also don’t get this whole “i hate frankie getting another title shot”

I’m not sure when he even got all these shots. He was the champ after he beat BJ, gave him a rematch, beat him again. Had the draw vs Maynard, then beat him in the rematch. Fought Bendo for the title, lost a close fight. Got a rematch, lost.

Moved down to 145 because Koch got hurt and Aldo needed an opponent. Aldo got into the motorcycle accident, came back, fought Frankie. After that, Frankie fought and beat Charles Oliveira. Finished BJ, finished Cub, dominated Faber and KO’d Mendes. He earned his 2nd shot because there was nobody left at the top at FW besides Aldo.

Stephens been beating people lately, lost to Frankie, Yair was the next big thing, lost to Frankie. With Aldo already getting a rematch, there’s nobody left at the top for Max that deserves a shot besides Frankie really. Ortega is the next one after. This fight makes sense and the winner getting a title shot is fantastic.

The UFC always tries to get their prospects over on Frankie's name but it's not gonna work again.

Well, what should they do then, only let Edgar fight someone close to his age?

Edgar lost twice to Aldo when he was Champion and it's rare we see a 3rd fight when someone has won the two fights prior to it. I'd watch them fight again, but if I had to pay for it, I'm not so sure I would.

At least with Holloway it was a fresh match up and I think Ortega is the right replacement. A lot of folk seem to think the UFC have it in for Edgar - and maybe they do - but he got an immediate rematch when he lost to Henderson (same as Penn did when he lost to Edgar) and then a title shot against Aldo coming off those two losses.

I don't consider Ortega a prospect at this point. He's a legit contender as far as I'm concerned.

This.

In what world is Ortega a prospect? He’s been in the UFC nearly 4 years and he’s only fought guys with big names and not just beat them but finished them all. His fight against Cub was a contender eliminator match.

I love me some Frankie but this is a dangerous matchup for him and quite franklie (no typo) I’m surprised Edgar took this match. I’ll be bummed if he loses. He should be next for sure and should’ve just waited. A loss sets him back at least 1 fight and win to get another shot and who knows how many fights he has left.

Shocked the ufc made this fight.

It kept Edgar far away from Conor for 3 years. Guess it is more about the money than the hype.

Ortega is a rangy striker and is effective, he also has a nasty game from the bottom, it’s a tough fight for Frankie imo.

He is such a badass for taking this.

Back