Edgar vs. Penn who do you see winning it?

His first challenge will be making weight.

Then being hydrated enough to perform at top level.

THEN fighting Frankie.

Good luck Buritto BJ Penn.

So the kid free knee pad wearing dude from all that grainy footage they still use for his highlights?

I don't think the UFC owns a time machine, while BJ has been ballooning himself on food and sitting around on the beach Edgar has been keeping busy.

I don't even think BJ makes 145, yet alone makes it competitive this time.
Edgar has been busy accumulating 2 wins in his last 7 fights. Perhaps a little Beach time is in order for Frankie as well.

Penn isn't as outmatched as people think. If he gets his jab going like in the first fight Edgar is going to have a lot of problems. BJ will keep timing him when he tries to come in

Edgar has been busy accumulating 2 wins in his last 7 fights. Perhaps a little Beach time is in order for Frankie as well.

BJ has 1 win in his last 6 fights and I think Fitch won their fight, while absolutely hating Fitch.

He should be 1-5 in his last 6, instead of 1-4-1

I accept the fact that Edgar won, but don't try to say it wasn't debatable. We know Frankie won officially, but many would argue it was bad decision.

Sherdog ranked that fight as the 8th worst decision of all time.

Almost the entire media plus Fight Metric scored the fight for BJ.

I watched that fight and didn't feel that it was a bad decision. Close fight and totally expected BJ to get the nod but I thought Frankie won, at the end of the fight.

I am willing to bet there are more than 8 UFC fights that had worse decisions than that one.

I watched that fight and didn't feel that it was a bad decision. Close fight and totally expected BJ to get the nod but I thought Frankie won, at the end of the fight.

I am willing to bet there are more than 8 UFC fights that had worse decisions than that one.

go ahead and name them

shit it doesn't even matter no matter how you spin it the controversy speaks for itself

I agree that decision should have went to Penn but it didn't, so he didn't. The first 3 rounds were close, but Penn definitely did a bit more than Edgar in every one of those rounds, statistically and otherwise.

I disagree however with whoever said he "couldn't beat" Edgar. At least back then, Penn definitely could have, but he just got unlucky with some confused judges. Still, I see it as a 2-0 Edgar situation. It's not 1-1 as some people have been contesting.
I addressed exactly that contention. It appears we are in agreement.

That may be true, but if you break it down round by round, there's no argument that has ever made sense that Edgar should have won any of the first 3 rounds. Penn landed more and landed more significantly in each of those first 3 rounds (a statistical fact). Penn also landed the best shots of those rounds, and he's the naturally harder puncher over Frankie to begin with. Edgar did not have Penn retreating, and Penn owned the center of the octagon. There was no real grappling any of those rounds so the only thing to really score those rounds on is "effective striking" where Penn had perhaps a small but still decisive advantage.

Maybe it felt more like Edgar won the fight because he got stronger as the fight went on and dominated round 5, but that doesn't mean anything, all that matters is round by round.

BJ has 1 win in his last 6 fights and I think Fitch won their fight, while absolutely hating Fitch.

He should be 1-5 in his last 6, instead of 1-4-1
A point that I agree with.
However, are you somehow saying that Edgar is not 2 wins in his last 7 fights?

I beg your pardon! I, willin, am quite happy with my 65 plus years of accumulated wealth, a 38 year marriage and highly successful Children.
I simply brought up the undeniable fact that in Maynard/Edgar 2, while being battered by Maynard in R1, Edgar turned his back on the fight and grabbed the Cage Fence with both hands. His own Corner had the towel rolled and were screaming for the Referee to " stop the fight, stop the fight". Are you denying that any part of that occurred?
So, one or the other. Frankie Edgar is either the most egregious Cheat ever in the History of UFC Title Fights, OR Edgar was "out" and finished, had no idea what he was doing and the fight should have been stopped at that moment.
Again, for the umpteenth time, was Edgar "finished? Or is he an egregious cheat?
Which is it for you?

Oh sweet jesus, not you again.

That may be true, but if you break it down round by round, there's no argument that has ever made sense that Edgar should have won any of the first 3 rounds.

I agree. And that goes for Penn too.

If anyone actually won those rounds it was by a margin so incredibly small it's not worth mentioning. That's why I scored them 10-10.

Penn isn't as outmatched as people think. If he gets his jab going like in the first fight Edgar is going to have a lot of problems. BJ will keep timing him when he tries to come in
Clearly, if that is a three round fight, Penn's chances of winning increase exponentially.

If anyone actually won those rounds it was by a margin so incredibly small it's not worth mentioning. That's why I scored them 10-10.
Although it is one of the few Edgar fights that I didn't attend live, I was mildly shocked at the decision. A 50-45 Card? Ridiculous.
Actually, I saw Penn being more "Effective" in the first rounds than Frankie in the last two. And I was pulling for Edgar.

"New Jersey", huh? My expectations are lessened immeasurably.

That's rich coming from someone with personal ties to Gray Maynard.

Now proceed to go out of your way once more to say you 'like' Frankie Edgar before centering yet another post around how much Frankie is a cheat, lost his rematch to Gray, is '2-7 in his last 9 fights' and cry about how he grabbed the fence and how much that played a part in Gray not being able to finish someone who was already 'out'. Go on. Tell us more.

Although it is one of the few Edgar fights that I didn't attend live, I was mildly shocked at the decision. A 50-45 Card? Ridiculous.
Actually, I saw Penn being more "Effective" in the first rounds than Frankie in the last two. And I was pulling for Edgar.

While I totally disagree with the 50-45 card, I can actually understand how it was possible given the scoring system and judges reluctance to give out 10-10 rounds. It really isn't farfetched. 50-45 is not always indicative of a blowout, as it can actually be razor close. And again, I totally disagree with a 50-45 card.

I think that's an exaggeration as to how close the first 3 rounds were. Even if Penn only landed the same number of times in those rounds (he landed more), he definitely landed the cleaner, more effective shots. Edgar is not exactly known for being a particularly hard puncher anyway while Penn packs a pretty good wallop for a LW.

But, I think it's a moot point anyway. In all likelihood the 2nd fight is a better representation of where each of them now stand and it's possible the disparity has even grew wider. Penn has simply not been on the cutting edge of the sport for quite some time and it can be very difficult for fighters who were once the best of their time to change their ways and habits - especially Penn.

I'm still 'wtf' about this being @ 145. Why, BJ? Anybody got a rational answer for that? I watched his interview on FS1 the other day and don't remember the subject being talked about. I do remember him saying (before the Dolce announcement) that the set weight was still iffy as well as exactly when and where.
I met this "145" with consternation equal to yours.
However, the gist of the charade, imo, is Penn/Edgar on TUF propping up what has become a staid and tiresome Reality Show. The idea is nothing short of genius.
The Fight, if it occurs at all, will surely be a catch weight; probably 150 lbs.
Doesn't that sound more realistic to you?

Back