Edgar vs. Mendes How does their striking match up?

Discussion in 'Standup Technique' started by fortheo, Aug 26, 2015.

1. fortheo

fortheo Steel Belt

As the title says, I'm curious about how you guys think their striking matches up against each other. I'd critique them myself, but I suck at it and I'm more curious about the opinions of more knowledge striking fans.

2. fortheo

fortheo Steel Belt

I guess I'll get the ball rolling by saying that I believe Edgar's feinting game has improved, and that he could just confuse the fuck out of Mendes for the whole fight, similar to the Faber fight. Another aspect to keep in mind is that I don't think Edgar has fought someone who is as good at cutting the cage off as Mendes is. That is honestly the extent of my striking analysis abilities. We need some of the striking guys up in here.

3. Wayweary

Wayweary Silver Belt

Could go either way. I hope it's not a long point-fighting affair... but if they go to war, it just makes them more battle-worn when one of them inevitably goes up against Conor (on more than two week's notice).

4. Rico

Rico Franklin Platinum Member

As good as Mendes is, he gets himself trapped on the cage too much. He has decent footwork but there doesn't seem to be an "endgame" to it and he ends up backing straight up and getting stuck on the cage. Edgar will prob look to take advantage of this with his movement and pressure.

I see Frankie getting tagged a few times but squeaking out a Dec.

5. Eternalfutility

Eternalfutility White Belt

when the.............

6. Pseudo Sane

Pseudo Sane Brown Belt

Rewatching the fight, Conor immediately sprints across the cage and threw a kick so that he could start the fight with chad having very little room to maneuver.

Conor really had Mendes backing up the whole time the fight was on the feet, and it really caused him problems.

7. MuffinGod11

MuffinGod11 Flaming Gentleman's Turd of Justice Belt

Mendes is way better boxer Faber is and a much better wrestler at that, couple that with Mendes hitting even harder and being a better athelete and I think Edgar has his hands fool.

Tbh Edgar will be the one pushing the pace, Mendes will let him go to him and he'll set the traps and use his counters to stiffle Edgar. Mendes ain't no defensive master but he can control distance very good and doesn't get hit that often and Edgar isn't a really tall guy, so I think Mendes will try to get pressured, run around and use his lateral movement and catch Edgar.

I think Mendes should do what he did in the Aldo fight and use sound boxing instead of imitating TJ, that shit doesn't go with him.

Regarding grappling, Edgar holds the advantage here, his top game is way more developed and dangerous than Mendes's, but I don't think Edgar can take down Mendes, and I feel Mendes will win most of the scrambles there. Mendes should make use of his leg kicks and try to take out the base of Edgar and also catch Edgar coming in, that's what Aldo did most of the time.

8. fortheo

fortheo Steel Belt

Yeah, say what you will about Edgar dancing around too much, but he's usually pressuring, so I hope he took notes because Mendes doesn't look that great while pressured.

9. nrock5555

nrock5555 Orange Belt

I'd think because Edger feints so often and always throws in combination, he'll reduce the effectiveness of Mendes' counters. Edgar should out-volume Mendes by a fair amount, so Mendes is going to have to land much cleaner shots to win rounds. Mendes probably has a smaller margin for error so I'd favor Edgar.

10. fortheo

fortheo Steel Belt

I agree with most of what you said except I think that Mendes' defense is still very untested. He looked great when he was beating wrestlers to earn his title shot, but against strikers he has been hit a lot IE Aldo, Conor, Even Lentz was tagging mendes more than he should have.

I know that a lot of people say Frankie is very hittable, but since he's been at 145lbs he really hasn't been hit that much. Not as much as Mendes has been in his past few fights anyways. If we compare both Mendes' and Frankie's performance against Aldo I think we'll see that Frankie had the better defensive striking, and the better grappling, where as Mendes had the better offense (specifically his wrestling to strikes set ups)

11. fortheo

fortheo Steel Belt

This fight is in less than a week. Anyone else got some observations they want to add? I'm so pumped for this fight. I was re-watching the Aldo vs. Edgar fight last night and noticed Edgar running into the pocket and being countered a bit more than I'd like—it will be interesting to see if Mendes can capitalize on that. However, Edgar has been a bit better with entering the pocket behind jabs and feints in recent fights and exiting on angles.

12. shpboris

shpboris Blue Belt

IMO, it will not be that easy for Mendes to counter Edgar because Edgar is quite good with feinting. Technique-wise, IMO, - that is exactly what you should do against a guy who likes to counter. Also Edgar is all about in-out-movement which is also a good thing - he will be in range for counters for a very limited amount of time.

Though in reality there are more aspects than just technique in such fight. Mendes is a very gifted guy physically and that may change everything.

13. ProLuchaX

ProLuchaX White Belt For Life

I honestly believe these dudes will cancel each other out.

Expect a snooze-fest.

14. Higus

Higus Silver Belt

I think it's a great match up. Mendes has great timing and will be aiming for the counter as Edgar comes in. Edgar has a power disadvantage, but he will be looking to use his feints and takedown threats to keep Mendes guessing. Edgar has better takedowns and top position, but Mendes has a scramble second to none and will be a real bastard to keep down.
    It could go either way, but I'm predicting Edgar by decision.

15. right hand lead

right hand lead Green Belt

I can see Edgar getting rocked or dropped early in the fight. If I had to choose who wins, I guess I go with Edgar to eek out a decision. I think Edgar's footwork and speed will do well against someone who doesn't have a huge height/reach advantage

16. PivotPunch

PivotPunch Red Belt

Edgar will move in and out, mendes will stalk while throwing single counterpunches and he either misses, slows down and outboxed or he does catch Edgar hurts him and wins a decision

17. Steve08

Steve08 American Fedor Belt

Edgar by decision IMO. Better kicks and he seems to understand the value of deception to a greater extent. The way he uses his body punches to set up takedowns is truly beautiful. I think Frankie is a better overall MMA striker. However, Chad is a more powerful athlete. It's a really interesting fight. Can't wait to see it!

18. TheFinerDetails

TheFinerDetails Orange Belt

I personally hope it's not a war in standup... They are both incredible grapplers, and have crazy good ground and pound. While the general audience of MMA can't appreciate grappling, I want to see a brutal war on the ground. Some more of those bombs mendes reigns down.

19. wisdom blows

wisdom blows Gold Belt

If the Mendes who fought Aldo shows up, I think Edgar is getting TKO'd.

20. fortheo

fortheo Steel Belt

I'm sure there will be some fun scrambles.

Also, people are right when they say that Mendes has the power advantage, but edgar can definitely take more punishment than Mendes can.

Fuck I'm excited for this fight.

21. MuffinGod11

I think Mendes after the Conor fight may have gave him a bad rep but I think he can beat Edgar. He's a better boxer and wrestler than Faber is and I don't think Edgar can consistently take Mendes down without eating a few good bombs. I think the x-factor is how well Mendes reacts to Edgar's feints. Edgar's defense isn't top notch and he's getting old. I pick Mendes by DEC or KO.

22. fortheo

fortheo Steel Belt

I'm curious about wheter or not Mendes can stalk and cut off the cage against Edgar. He did it beautifully against Lamas, but Edgar is no Lamas.

23. MuffinGod11

Depends on what Mendes wants Edgar to do, it will probably serve him right to let Edgar come to him rather than go at him like he did to Aldo. Mendes just isn't a consistent fighter, so I don't think he'll keep constant pressure, for 5 rounds. Mendes is a much better athelte than Edgar, except maybe cardio wise and that's because Edgar rarely sits on his punches.

I don't see Edgar winning the wrestling exchanges most of the time, Edgar was able to win scrambles vs Faber but Mendes is just a different beast and Edgar didn't blew Faber out of the water at all. Mendes is way craftier in his overall boxing game, maybe it's just that I think Edgar's boxing is overrated or something but I don't see Edgar really landing anything significant to make Mendes think twice.

24. fortheo

fortheo Steel Belt

Frankie won more than just scrambles against Faber. He took Faber down 5 times and passed guard twice and defended All of Faber's take downs. Though, like you said, Mendes is a different beast all together.

I think if Mendes doesn't try to stalk Edgar, then Mendes will just be waiting for that perfect counter opportunity, but that moment probably wont come because of the little commitment that frankie puts into his punches.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2015
  25. aries

aries Silver Belt

I think Frankie has the definite advtange in terms of movment and speed but Mendes definitely has the ability to finish a fight with his power. Maybe he'll be the first to actually stop Frankie, but they'll be fighting at FW where Frankie has survived bombs from the likes of Gray Maynard at LW and Edgar recovered quickly as ever.

26. PivotPunch

PivotPunch Red Belt

Yeah but that could be a bad thing not a good thing. Frankie has been in wars, is old for his division and at some point every chin cracks

27. aries

aries Silver Belt

True. I have the feeling if Mendes hits him as hard as Gray did in that first round that Maynard somehow survived Mendes would finish the job.

28. fortheo

fortheo Steel Belt

Very true. One comfort I have as an Edgar fan is knowing that these past few years at FW has basically been a vacation for Edgars chin; he really hasn't been damaged that much lately. On the other hand, Chad has been finished twice and has shown that he can be broken.

I'd love to get some of the other striking analysts in here and hear their opinions on this fight. Someone who could break it down.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2015
  29. roventu

roventu Brown Belt

i see mendes catching frankie. frankie is best when he is mixing up striking with takedowns, but i dont see him taking down mendes for long. so if its on the feet, frankie usually tries to outpoint his opponent with combinations + footwork. luckily mendes has literally the best sparring partner to train against combinations + footwork in Dillashaw. so i think he'll catch him coming in eventually

30. fluffball

fluffball Brown Belt

Don't think Mendes strikes succinctly enough to catch Edgar with one of those big bombs. He strikes with unusual athleticism. He will catch Edgar, but not enough to stop him.

Here is the unusual power he brings. Try to picture "Li'l Ferret Edgar" getting hit with that. I can't.

[​IMG]

In a pure kickboxing match, I take Edgar 9/10 times.

Editor's Note: My wife has tried to get me to bet on MMA repeatedly because I pick the winner so often (in her opinion). I refuse to. I think nearly every fight is 50/50. It's pure chaos.

31. roventu

roventu Brown Belt

well a lot of fans like to view frankie as some elusive, untouchable fighter. but the stronger slower guy will catch up, eventually, especially with age. check my avatar for further proof lol

of course, we haven't seen frankie exactly "decline" yet, but his fight vs faber wasn't spectacular.

32. fluffball

fluffball Brown Belt

He IS pretty tough to touch. His built in defense compliments his iron chin, unlike our typical MMA legend who compliments his aging chin with a face plant.

[​IMG]

(GIF shows a stronger, slower guy.)

33. roventu

roventu Brown Belt

iirc, Faber hit him with a few good rights in their last fight. i mean, thats all that Faber was aiming to land, but he still got him a few times. everyone gets hit. and mendes doesnt have to knock him out cold, just daze him enough to draw out a TKO, mendes pounces on ppl pretty quickly if he senses they're hurt. of course we're just talking hypothetical situations here, so i'll just look forward to the fight