Edgar is going to do to Aldo what Cain did to JDS

[QUOTE="Rush";79075555]So many fighters have done it yet no one gets people talking about it as much as Aldo, why? JDS held the cage around 10 times against Cain. Aldo has done it ONCE. He defended all of Mendes' 6 other attempts too. People also say it changed that fight, i beg to differ:

iQ8KnG55EuT2O.gif
[/QUOTE]

Thanks, was about to post this about that gif.
Mendes took Aldo 2seconds later and what happened? Geez.....

No worries i made it for the Aldo thread im going to post later. People have very selective memories it seems.

JDS also has amazing BJJ, doesn't mean it's effective in mma. JDS also has tremendous TDD, as having only spent like 13 seconds on his back prior to the Cain fight. And JDS had never gassed BADLY prior tot he Cain fight. Anything can happen.

Gassed "badly" is subjective. JDS had slowed down noticeably in other fights. It's just that he had inflicted so much damage on his opponents that they were unable to pose in sort of threat.

[QUOTE="Rush";79076319]No worries i made it for the Aldo thread im going to post later. People have very selective memories it seems.[/QUOTE]

please include edgars five-six second one both hands, full grip, back to the fight holding on for dear life aswell. just as a comparasin.

[QUOTE="Rush";79075555]So many fighters have done it yet no one gets people talking about it as much as Aldo, why? JDS held the cage around 10 times against Cain. Aldo has done it ONCE. He defended all of Mendes' 6 other attempts too. People also say it changed that fight, i beg to differ:

iQ8KnG55EuT2O.gif
[/QUOTE]

Fantastic GIF. Mendes got the exact same takedown two seconds later and nothing happened. This ill-conceived notion that the fence grab changed the fight has been thoroughly debunked by reality. Next.

Fantastic GIF. Mendes got the exact same takedown two seconds later and nothing happened. This ill-conceived notion that the fence grab changed the fight has been thoroughly debunked by reality. Next.

... not neccesarily ... while it may look like the same takedown ... the first attempt being blocked by the fence grab will sap some of your strength thus it is possible it had a negative affect on Mendes' second attempt.

We cannot know for sure either way but to say it had no effect on the outcome as something factual is foolish.

MMA is a game where ONE mistake ... can change everything as witness in the Koch fight this weekend ... his slip ... cost him a fight he was in total control over.

One possible takedown from Mendes ... might have changed things drastically ... but we will never know if he would have gotten it thanks to that fence grab.

Also takedowns a lot of times are more about element of surprise then power ... Aldo outside of the fence grab ... might have not countered it the first time without the fence as oppose to the second time where he know felt the direction Mendes pulled him.

PS ... I am not saying Mendes would have gotten it or would have won the fight even if he did get it ... but to say the fence grab had no effect is stupid as we will never know fo sure either way.

... not neccesarily ... while it may look like the same takedown ... the first attempt being blocked by the fence grab will sap some of your strength thus it is possible it had a negative affect on Mendes' second attempt.

We cannot know for sure either way but to say it had no effect on the outcome as something factual is foolish.

MMA is a game where ONE mistake ... can change everything as witness in the Koch fight this weekend ... his slip ... cost him a fight he was in total control over.

One possible takedown from Mendes ... might have changed things drastically ... but we will never know if he would have gotten it thanks to that fence grab.

Also takedowns a lot of times are more about element of surprise then power ... Aldo outside of the fence grab ... might have not countered it the first time without the fence as oppose to the second time where he know felt the direction Mendes pulled him.

PS ... I am not saying Mendes would have gotten it or would have won the fight even if he did get it ... but to say the fence grab had no effect is stupid as we will never know fo sure either way.

Stupid? Seriously? I've watched enough MMA to have some idea of how devastating that takedown would have been. Nothing would have changed. Aldo was up in less than 2 seconds. What? Was Chad going to KO Aldo with the first takedown? How much more effective could the first takedown have been? Mendes wasn't trying to suplex Aldo. He was attempting the exact same takedown. You're delusional if you think that takedown would have somehow been any different than the one he landed just two seconds later. The "fact" is that Aldo brutally KO'd Mendes with a knee as he shot for a takedown. Mendes was outclassed, just as Frankie will be come Saturday night.

Neither has Edgar. He gets hit a lot, he's durable.
And I think the former part of this gets overlooked a bit more than it should. While some members constantly cite the 5th round of the Hominick fight to somehow represent Aldo, despite his numerous more consistent performances, they give a pass to the fact that Edgar tends to make his share of glaring mistakes. He suffered two very unnecessary upkicks at the hands (feet) of Bendo and took a repeat beating from Maynard early in his fights, constantly being dragged into deep water, giving all Edgar fans that familiar heart attack experience.

Edgar is certainly resilient, but Aldo is a patient and methodical finisher, who easily hangs with Edgar on the feet, as well as solid all-around skills. I don't think this is a decisive fight for either man, but if the 5th round of Aldo's homnick fight is constantly going to be raised as an example of Edgar's potential path towards victory, then we've seen that much more evidence of Edgar being on the brink of defeat, before going to a decision.

I'm still going with Aldo, as he's fought the likes of Faber and Mendes (two equally resilient, quick fighters, with tons of heart). What I hope we don't see, is another immediate rematch, regardless of the outcome.

Edgar's was a solid five-six seconds, BOTH hands full grab, and back turned to the fight.

Selective memory much?

Not selective memory, I'm an Aldo fan. I just simply have to re-watch the fight. I was probably inebriated quite a bit.

please include edgars five-six second one both hands, full grip, back to the fight holding on for dear life aswell. just as a comparasin.

That WAS NOT my point, you guys may have misunderstood.

All I said was that Aldo's fence grab was ONE of the MOST BLATANT fence grabs in UFC history.
And you're gonna deny that?... Don't be silly, guys.

Not selective memory, I'm an Aldo fan. I just simply have to re-watch the fight. I was probably inebriated quite a bit.

It's a really great segment, where edgar is getting punched around all over the cage, on rollerskates, trying to cartwheel, grabs the fence, both hands, closed grip (maynard had to drag him loose)

Meanwhile while all this is taking place edgar's corner is hysterical screaming for the fight to be stopped.

And I think the former part of this gets overlooked a bit more than it should. While some members constantly cite the 5th round of the Hominick fight to somehow represent Aldo, despite his numerous more consistent performances, they give a pass to the fact that Edgar tends to make his share of glaring mistakes. He suffered two very unnecessary upkicks at the hands (feet) of Bendo and took a repeat beating from Maynard early in his fights, constantly being dragged into deep water, giving all Edgar fans that familiar heart attack experience.

Edgar is certainly resilient, but Aldo is a patient and methodical finisher, who easily hangs with Edgar on the feet, as well as solid all-around skills. I don't think this is a decisive fight for either man, but if the 5th round of Aldo's homnick fight is constantly going to be raised as an example of Edgar's potential path towards victory, then we've seen that much more evidence of Edgar being on the brink of defeat, before going to a decision.

I'm still going with Aldo, as he's fought the likes of Faber and Mendes (two equally resilient, quick fighters, with tons of heart). What I hope we don't see, is another immediate rematch, regardless of the outcome.

This.

Well written and intelligent post.

Sticking with my gut feeling that Edgar will beat Aldo. Aldo has fought exceptional boxers and grappler but nobody exceptional at both. He's never been in against a top, diverse fighter like Edgar who constantly moves and mixes up his strikes and takedowns. Everyone Aldo has fought has been uncomfortable with his standup. Edgar is the type of fighter who only needs one round to adjust to a style which makes him so difficult to beat decisively.

Last edited:
Maybe it seems like i dont like Jose Aldo, i am a big fan actually. I just dont see how he is going to defeat Edgar.

I sure hope so. The Aldo hype train must be derailed immediately. Aldo is going to be in trouble fighting Edgar.

this a horrible comparison...this isnt a rematch in which edgar was knocked out in 1 minute nor do these fighters possess the same skill sets as jds and cain...completely diff. fight...

Back