Edgar as a FW?

JimmyTheHand

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Does anyone think Edgar will be more dangerous and finish more fights now that he is fighting guys his own size? Or do you think he will stay the same?
Personally I'd imagine he's going to have to change a bit now that he doesn't have the considerable speed advantage he had over bigger guys like Gray and I think he's definitely a much more dangerous guy in that division now that he isn't undersized.

I think that i havent seen him perform at FW, so i have no opinion.

I hope yours is correct though, TS

I think so. I think too many people read too much into the whole point fighter argument for Edgar. In spite of being undersized he landed with some reasonable power in a few fights at lw. I don't see him coming down and knocking guy's heads off left and right but I think a move down is beneficial to him. He may not have as big a speed advantage but he will still have one and his footwork will still be amazing at fw

I think Frankie will be more dangerous as a FW but only time will tell.

I think hed be best at bw. He said he could make 135..

If menjivar could go from ww to bw, edgar could make it

I think hed be best at bw. He said he could make 135..

Bare in mind, that Edgar also said that he isn't sure wheter the weight cut to 135 would hinder his performance too much or not.

I think so. I think too many people read too much into the whole point fighter argument for Edgar. In spite of being undersized he landed with some reasonable power in a few fights at lw. I don't see him coming down and knocking guy's heads off left and right but I think a move down is beneficial to him. He may not have as big a speed advantage but he will still have one and his footwork will still be amazing at fw

Yeah I never thought he was a point fighter either. I mean he was using his speed and footwork to beat bigger guys instead of slugging and grappling. It'll be cool to see how his approach changes now that his size is less of a factor along with his speed.

The only concern is the loss of the speed advantage for Frankie. I think guys are going to be faster than they were at 155 for him, and he'll have a tougher time using said speed to his advantage.

Edgar loses one of his biggest advantages he had at LW his speed, and I think he still has a size disadvantage at FW.

I think he will be even better at FW, but I don't think he will beat Aldo. Still, Aldo/Edgar is going to be a sick fight no matter how it turns out.

I am fucking psyched!

Impossible to say for sure. It's been proven time and again that dropping in weight doesn't necessarily equate to success. Just because you can make a certain weight, doesn't mean that you will be better in that division. Look at a guy like Hendo. People like to say that he's a natural middleweight, but he's actually always been better at 205. In my book, that means that 205 is his natural class. For all we know, the same could hold true for Frankie. It's possible that being quicker at 155, combined with not having to make the cut, makes LW his best division. Or perhaps he'll flourish at 145. Time will tell.

Either way, this is one of the fights I'm most looking forward to this year.

Frankie will do very well as a FW, his style is just to good. I'm curious to see if he loses to Aldo, whether he'll stay at FW, go back up to LW or drop to BW. It's pretty crazy he could potentially become champ in all three divisions. Not at the same time Obviously, but if anyone has a chance to be the first guy to be a three weight division champ, it's frankie

I think he will beat Aldo....Frankie is one tough little guy...he's no quitter...he will take the belt!

Back