Eddie Wineland - - What's next

He needs to alter his striking offense, more kicks, improve striking defense (tuck the damn chin at least), has to attempt TD's. He's fallen in love with his boxing, that he won't do anything else.

his boxing is actually rather good by MMA standards when you ignore the fact that he keeps his hands down

but yeah, a new camp is a good move, as is keeping his hands up, maybe diversifying his striking a bit

I agree... I have close ties to his gym/camp in Chicago, so it pains me to say this, but in my opinion, he needs higher quality training partners in order to elevate his game. Iron sharpens iron, right? Just look at Nova Uniao's team, they obviously have the big two, but I'm sure they are 10-12 deep with 'elite level talent' close to that weight class (Eduardo being another...).

I'm a huge fan but damn...the guy needs to change his style. Hands down chin up. He's just asking to be knocked out.

Stop being a bitch, get the shit together, and move on.

Oh wait you were talking about Wineland and not his fans?

his boxing is actually rather good by MMA standards when you ignore the fact that he keeps his hands down

but yeah, a new camp is a good move, as is keeping his hands up, maybe diversifying his striking a bit

Yeah keeping your hands down like he does is extremely dangerous. Like you said he gets away with it because he has good head movement, footwork, fakes etc. Also helps that he fights at 135 with a pretty good chin.

I'd like to see him at least try to change his style a bit. It's worked good for him up to this point, but it's clear he'll struggle with the top fighters at 125 or 135.

I agree... I have close ties to his gym/camp in Chicago, so it pains me to say this, but in my opinion, he needs higher quality training partners in order to elevate his game. Iron sharpens iron, right? Just look at Nova Uniao's team, they obviously have the big two, but I'm sure they are 10-12 deep with 'elite level talent' close to that weight class (Eduardo being another...).

So you think he needs to leave Mark's place or bring in better training/sparring partners.

Chin down and his right hand glued to his chin, while using the left shoulder to defend the left side.

Have him fight Mayday since neither are getting a title shot for a while (both coming off of a loss and have lost to Barao decisively)

Tuck his chin.

Get his hands up higher.

Other than that, he's a pretty damn solid fighter.

People are going on about his defense but his inability to adjust to simple yet effective head movement on Eduardo's part played into the loss. So did Eddie repeatedly overextending himself on his combinations.

People are going on about his defense but his inability to adjust to simple yet effective head movement on Eduardo's part played into the loss. So did Eddie repeatedly overextending himself on his combinations.

I agree that he couldn't adjust. He just kept swinging at air until he was eventually countered

So you think he needs to leave Mark's place or bring in better training/sparring partners.

No need to switch gyms in my opinion. I believe the coaching is superb, but I do think some new faces (training partners) would benefit Eddie greatly moving forward. I know Pat Curran was in the gym during the Barao training camp for a day, sparring with Eddie. I don't know the relationship between Curran's gym and NB, but I'm sure they could set something up again in the future. Now I realize not every gym is stacked like Nova Uniao or Team Alpha Male, where you have a handful of legitimate title contenders around the 125lb-145lb weight classes, but there are other ways to bring in superior/equal talent to push the fighters to that next level.

I do agree with what everyone else has been saying.. 'Chin down/hands up'. Also, would like to see more leg kicks and takedown attempts. Hope he heals up fast.

I have become a huge Wineland fan but i think he should get titanium chin plantation or something to help him.

He just got cocky. He thought he was gonna run through Eduardo, as did I and most other fans. I said to my mate before the fight that Eddie would murder him IF he mixed up his game and hit a few takedowns, then used ground and pound, like he did with Jabouin.

He got cocky and tried to trade with a far more refined striker.

No need to switch gyms in my opinion. I believe the coaching is superb, but I do think some new faces (training partners) would benefit Eddie greatly moving forward. I know Pat Curran was in the gym during the Barao training camp for a day, sparring with Eddie. I don't know the relationship between Curran's gym and NB, but I'm sure they could set something up again in the future. Now I realize not every gym is stacked like Nova Uniao or Team Alpha Male, where you have a handful of legitimate title contenders around the 125lb-145lb weight classes, but there are other ways to bring in superior/equal talent to push the fighters to that next level.

I do agree with what everyone else has been saying.. 'Chin down/hands up'. Also, would like to see more leg kicks and takedown attempts. Hope he heals up fast.

I dunno if he needs a new striking coach or not, but he def needs different sparring/training partners. Mark's gym (it's not new breed anymore) doesn't have any guys that are going to push eddie. And I've been saying that he needs to incorporate TDs and leg kicks, Mark told me he freakishly strong for his weight class, he should using it to his advantage. I'd change the striking coach, or at the very least stop making his striking boxing centric.

I dunno if he needs a new striking coach or not, but he def needs different sparring/training partners. Mark's gym (it's not new breed anymore) doesn't have any guys that are going to push eddie. And I've been saying that he needs to incorporate TDs and leg kicks, Mark told me he freakishly strong for his weight class, he should using it to his advantage. I'd change the striking coach, or at the very least stop making his striking boxing centric.

Very true. I've met a few of the guys he's trained with and they're all low level pros and mostly amateurs. It surprises the hell out of me that he's still training there, but that's loyalty I guess. He definitely needs to change something.

Faber-vs-wineland-takedown-defense-ufc-128.gif

Faber-vs-wineland-takedown-ufc-128.gif

Mark is def. telling the truth.

Very true. I've met a few of the guys he's trained with and they're all low level pros and mostly amateurs. It surprises the hell out of me that he's still training there, but that's loyalty I guess. He definitely needs to change something.

I've never met Wineland, but my brother rolls at new breed( I guess the name is the same but changed bjj affiliates) and I've met Mark and know some of his friends. But yea there aren't any high level guys or big names there, by all accounts he's super loyal and has a great relationship with Mark. Personally, I think he just needs to diversify his striking, use TD's to set up GNP, and improve his defense and he should be in the top 5 again

Back