Eddie Wineland to look at big picture during injury hiatus

toe hold

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
http://mmajunkie.com/2014/05/ufcs-eddie-wineland-i-need-to-look-at-the-big-picture-after-broken-jaw

Still not yet 30. I hope that Wineland is able to regroup and continue. Wise to reflect though and look at long term prospects. I know that he is engaged to his long time girlfriend and is building a house in northern Indiana. I always wondered if he was getting enough teaching and tutelage at his current gym. Big fan of his for a long time. Hated to see him get pounded out by Eduardo, though kudos to him.

I don't think he needs to retire. I still think he's one of Barao's toughest match-ups at 135. Dude just needs a more elite camp.

He needs to switch camps and change his style. Hands down chin up brawling style is going to win him a title. He was doing suprisingly well against Barao but his style allows openings to get hit and taken out.

Chin up is only really an issue if you have poor footwork or head movement, never of which is true in regards to Wineland. His only real problem is in over-extending after he finishes combinations, because he nearly almost always ends them with right hands which just isn't a very good idea. I'm pretty sure that Eduardo clocked him with that right hook after Eddie had over-extended while attempting his own right hand.

I agree with the proposed notion of a camp change. He doesn't really train with anybody elite nor does he even train full time and even so, he STILL got a shot against Barao and outstruck him in the first lol dude's talented as fuck.

LOL, feel free to merge the three separate threads citing the same source.

I have had my jaw broken and wired shut and it sucks...I don't blame him for wanting to retire....fire fighters make decent money, he is better off sticking with that

Maybe he can release a rap song or something based on his experiences with his jaw wired shut? Call it "through the wire" or something, I dunno...

He's a guy who wants to be at the top, so getting KO'd twice will be hard to deal with.

Wineland is too good to retire. I hope he regroups his morale and gets back in the gym when he's ready.

Back