Eddie Wineland on Jon Jones drug test and fighter pay.

must be pretty upset to post that while still on the roster, at least for now

He just used that as an excuse to vent off. But he is 100% right.

Yeah, I've got sympathy for the fighters in terms of their compensation relative to what they generate for the promotion, but it weakens the message when he uses the Jones situation as a reason to spout off. It really has nothing to do with it.

Dang Eddie.. You're not as good as Jon Jones. That's why you're not making that kind of money

He has a point about fighter pay.
As for Jones, it was out of competition, so the penalty should be mandatory rehab, and a fine.
A second offense should be a worse fine, suspension, or/add title stripped.
Even as a fan I can't show favoritism.

So he works full time, and fights, and still doesn't make any money? He may want to seriously consider a career change then.

I see his point... but it isn't rational.

I can see what you mean by talking about Jones being a bigger draw/pulling in more money/viewers and all of that, money part aside - but the part about him (Wineland) saying it's pure BS that Jones is being applauded by the boss (and even some fans) after taking a very, very serious drug and the favoritism.. that part isn't irrational at all. Wineland is 100% correct.

Had it been any fighter that wasn't a big star like Jones, they likely would've been suspended, fined, or even released. It's pure favoritism and it's not fair to the other fighters whatsoever.

Why should one guy be allowed to break rules and get praised for it and not get in any trouble from the company and the other guy (the little guy, let's say) will get torn up and shit on by their employers?

It's pure favoritism.

Melvin Guillard was suspended after he tested positive for cocaine, wasn't he? but it's OK that Jones tested positive? at least by Dana's reaction, that's the way it seems, pretty much.

There's something wrong with that. One guy can do it and gets in no trouble from his employers/with the company, but the other guy has to face some serious consequences?

That's pretty fucked up and you and everybody here knows it.

He went off about Jones because of fairness, it connects to him getting busted because of fairness, how other people test positive and get punished and he doesnt, then he went off about other things he finds unfair like Connor's 6 figure contract and the CM Punk signing, and he made a valid point about UFC only seeing $$$, but thats the goal in the end isnt it ? Money ?

I fail to see how his grievances about fighter pay and Jones' positive test have anything in common.

THIS

Eddie Whiiiiiiineland 3-4 in the UFC, 1-2 and KO'd twice in his last three.

Get serious Eddie, your not really top tier and your not improving. Most of all he doesn't sell fights... someone should remind him the UFC is not a charity its a business...

I can see what you mean by talking about Jones being a bigger draw/pulling in more money/viewers and all of that, money part aside - but the part about him (Wineland) saying it's pure BS that Jones is being applauded by the boss (and even some fans) after taking a very, very serious drug and the favoritism.. that part isn't irrational at all. Wineland is 100% correct.

Had it been any fighter that wasn't a big star like Jones, they likely would've been suspended, fined, or even released. It's pure favoritism and it's not fair to the other fighters whatsoever.

Why should one guy be allowed to break rules and get praised for it and not get in any trouble from the company and the other guy (the little guy, let's say) will get torn up and shit on by their employers?

It's pure favoritism.

Melvin Guillard was suspended after he tested positive for cocaine, wasn't he? but it's OK that Jones tested positive? at least by Dana's reaction, that's the way it seems, pretty much.

There's something wrong with that. One guy can do it and gets in no trouble from his employers/with the company, but the other guy has to face some serious consequences?

Always has been and always will be. UFC is not a sport, they are a business, and the guys that sell and are big will always get a little more leeway and such than the smaller less important guys. Welcome to the real world. Happens everywhere and in most businesses IMO.

Every sport treats stars better the rest. I understand what he's saying though.

Conor is paid more than Eddie because more people care about Conor than Eddie.

Its that simple. Could the UFC be better. Absolutely, but the part about COnor and CM punk is wrong.

THIS

Eddie Whiiiiiiineland 3-4 in the UFC, 1-2 and KO'd twice in his last three.

Get serious Eddie, your not really top tier and your not improving. Most of all he doesn't sell fights... someone should remind him the UFC is not a charity its a business...
it's also not a legit sport if we are gonna go on about what it's not.

It's pure favoritism.

The Dana comment is transparent, yes it's PR move and supporting a draw but is just text.

No, it would not be fined, suspended, or fired for a different fighter. Jones didn't break a rule for his sport.

You seem to be missing some details of the situation esp. since you bring up Melvin.

Jones was tested at the beginning of Dec., that's the failed test. That is out of competition and cocaine is not banned in that time period, afaik neither is weed. Jones passed another test later in the month. That suggests it was limited recreational use.

Melvin was busted for it being in his system during the fight and he admitted he recently had used it. Melvin still got a fight after that.

The reason so many fighters get popped for weed is it staying longer in a person's system than cocaine. Also previously the limit was much stricter for metabolites.

More like Eddie Whiner.

Why should he be making big bucks when no one even pays to watch him fight let alone know who the hell he is.

Always has been and always will be. UFC is not a sport, they are a business, and the guys that sell and are big will always get a little more leeway and such than the smaller less important guys. Welcome to the real world. Happens everywhere and in most businesses IMO.

I know, but it's still ridiculous how one guy is basically allowed to do what ever he wants and the boss will basically applaud the guy but if a lesser known fighter did it, they would get treated like a criminal by their employers.

I fully understand how that the guys who sell more will be treated better because they simply just do better for the company - that's just fact, that's just the way it is. But in my opinion, I don't see that as any reason that they can break a rule and be 'praised' for it by Dana but if, again, someone not as well known or doesn't bring in as much money, will have to face the consequences and treated like a piece of shit.

I've seen in a few threads that apparently cocaine isn't an illegal substance? if that's true, then that's really fucked up. One of the most serious drugs in the world.. it's OK to test positive for that but you can't test positive for marijuana, which has been legalized by quite a few states? lol, what the hell is that? you know?

I actually hope NSAC suspends Jones for this. I like Jones, I wish him well, I enjoy watching him fight, he's a great champion and one of the greatest of all time - but in no way should he be allowed to take that and get no sort of consequence. Remember when Guillard got suspended for testing positive for cocaine? it was NSAC that suspended, for 8 months - if Jones doesn't get in any trouble at all, then this whole thing is fucked.

/rant

Back