Eddie Wineland claims fight stopped early.

Referee should not stop fight till one of the fighters dies.
So the loser won't complain.

Agreed. The way the word "finished" is used currently in MMA just makes a mockery of the word. The only way to truly finish a fighter is to kill him, and possibly his children if he has any (his blood line and all).

"Defend yourself at all times"

Come on Eddie, you were gonna be in for a world of hurt if that fight kept going any longer.

I don't think it would've changed the outcome, but I don't think the ref gave him an adequate chance to get out of danger. We've seen lots of cases where a fighter recovered from that spot. The majority of the time, they don't, but it happens enough where it does leave a bit of a question mark.

I didn't think it was early at all. Barao wasn't going anywhere. He would have just pummeled Whine-land.

Whether or not Wineland was really out, as was stated here, he was face to the ground. I didn't see Barao connect much with clean follow-up power shots on the ground, but Wineland definitely wasn't intelligently defending himself. He can blame himself for not rolling over into guard.

So, this is the guy who got TKD kicked by Barao yesterday night?

Barao is an animal, he would have hurt "this guy" even more. He should be secretly thanking the ref and train harder than ever to never, ever be in that situation ever again.

I thought it was early. He didn't look hurt at all after. Popped right up. He was defending the GNP.

I believe the figth couldve gone a little bit longer...

IT wasnt the kick that caused the stoppage it was that first follow up punch that decimated Eddie and sent him crumbling to the mat. Still hated to see it though, rooting hard for Eddie.

So with 12 hours of revision and multiple slow motion replays, you concluded it was an early stoppage? The ref has to take the decision in a split second, it's the fighter's job to protect himself intelligently.

Revisionist history can't change a split second decision.

I thought it was stopped a little too early myself. I mean just look at the Jorgensen fight where he came back and got the TKO! I'm not bothered by it too much though. I can't wait to see Barao put a beat down on Cruz when he returns.

This why I NEVER complain when a dude gets over killed. I hate seeing guys complain after getting rocked and the refs stop the fight.

The early stoppage was the first thing that crossed my mind, but that kick WAS brutal.

I also agree it *probably* wouldn't have changed much had the fight been gone on longer, but I believe in title fights the refs really should try to give each fighter as much time as possible to recoup until it's absolutely necessary to call the fight for that fighter's safety.

In this case, Wineland got clocked, but he wasn't "out" per se. Barao PROBABLY still would have won, but letting the fight continue to make sure Barao would have won would have been best, in my opinion.

couldnt agree more

Stoppage was ok but imo Barao got quite lucky in the fight...he didn't show much hope of getting a takedown and on the feet he was losing.
Maybe in the later rounds if Wineland slowed down.

At first I thought it was early until I saw the replay a couple of times. Dude was out and just covering up not trying to advance position.

Back