Eddie Cummings Breakdown

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by TheHereticJay, Aug 28, 2015.

1. TheHereticJay

TheHereticJay I scoff at your belt rankings

This is not my work, but I thoroughly enjoyed it! Seeing the ways he gets to the "411/Honey hole/Top Rock/Saddle" position from the bottom was nice, I never paid as much attention to it and just attributed it to just happening in the scramble and as a testament to his scramble skills.

2. Punchmaster

Punchmaster Banned Banned

Good video. The guy has an amazing butterfly guard. Hope cummings puts out a bottom game oriented leg lock dvd set soon.

So hyped for the bodycomb cummings match. It's top side leg lock entries vs bottom side leg lock entries. Exciting!

3. HuntingtonBeach

HuntingtonBeach ________________

I got to roll with Eddie at a seminar and the guy has freakish leg strength. I was super surprised how easily he was able to lift me up with his butterfly hooks. Even without breaking my posture he was able to manipulate my weight and lift me and I'm probably 30-40 lbs heavier than him.

4. selfcritical

selfcritical Brown Belt

Riley enters from bottom plenty.

Are we not using "phrasing"?

5. Punchmaster

Punchmaster Banned Banned

If you pull guard at a riley bodycomb seminar he will yell at you. Fact.

Also, he really doesn't. He has entries from bottom that exist, but if you watch his competition footage, have gone to recent seminars, or talk to him, he almost always wants to enter from a standing position. Even his sliding ankle lock, where it looks like he is just pulling butterfly and going for the ankle lock, he prefers to enter from standing. I don't think you'll find a bigger advocate for staying on the feet than Reilly. While he will go for leglocks from bottom if he has absolutely no choice what so ever, his preference, game plan, and philosophy involves top entries. He gave me a very long talking to about this when we drafted Magic Origins.

Cummings has entries from top that I've seen him use when he hits a sweep because they guy would rather give up the sweep than his leg, but universally I see him pull guard and work from the seated guard position.

Cummings wants someone who will stay standing over him so he can work his seated guard leg attacks.

Reilly wants someone who will not be standing so he can work his favorite standing leg attacks.

Hence why I said what I said.

6. Ckaa

Ckaa Orange Belt

Excellent video, the part about the 411 was great and new for me

7. selfcritical

selfcritical Brown Belt

In earlier comp footage, you'd see Riley attack in transition while recomposing after escaping a bad position. The problem being that he didn't always successfully escape. Over time he's spent a lot less time under people though.

Mostly I just wanted to make an Archer reference, though.

8. TheHereticJay

This is pretty true, the two years I trained with Reilly I got to see how his game changed from a bottom entry guy to a more top entry guy. I started with him right after the Ultimate Absolute, to give an idea of where his game was... and a lot has changed over that time period. Reilly can, and is very good at, attack from the bottom but he wants to float and be dynamic on the top for his entries.

I'm super stoked for this match...but I can't order FloGrappling because I don't have anything except a bank card that they don't accept...so I can't watch until after!

9. Zankou

Zankou Bringing peace and love Staff Member Senior Moderator

Entry to 411 is sweet and something I like to do as a side control/KOB defense against a standing opponent.

Technically it's a form of reaping, but ....

[​IMG]

10. Anthas

Anthas Yellow Belt

I'm trying to figure out how to go to the honey hole from knee on belly... But it will be the same movement as if going for a kneebar?

11. Anthas

Anthas Yellow Belt

Also... What is that K sweep from the video... Never heard of that... does it have any other name? Looks like I could use it... Actually I'm kind of surprised about how much my game resembles the one from Eddie (with the obvious differences) I'm going to start watching him a lot more now!

12. TheHereticJay

It's just an underhook sweep. Here's a little instructional on it, but it's pretty effective. He kind of turns it into a star sweep type thing into a reverse KoB. I started using it yesterday at open mat, you really need to make sure you get them when they're posturing up or else you end up turtled with them hooking the far leg and having good control over you.

13. Anthas

Anthas Yellow Belt

Thanks! This sweep (I know it as the flower sweep) is one of my main sweeps, but it looked to me that Eddie went the other way, and I thought it would combine well with this one... Is that the star sweep?... I'm going to look it up!

14. Gambledub

Gambledub Brown Belt

[YT]Z1qU4u5pp_c[/YT]

15. Anthas

Anthas Yellow Belt

That's it! Thanks!

16. Uchi Mata

Uchi Mata Preaching the gospel of heel hooks and left kicks

[​IMG]

And I am so stealing that top rock entry from the bottom.

17. Uchi Mata

I like Reilly a lot, I've bought, studied, used, and taught a lot of his game, but I have a feeling he's going to get killed in this match. Mostly because Eddie just has access to higher level training partners (and Danaher) and doesn't seem to spend nearly as much time building a brand, making vids, and teaching as Reilly does. ADCC rules would actually favor Reilly as I think he standing game is eons ahead of anything I've seen from EC, but Cummings is so damn efficient at implementing his game that I have a hard time seeing Reilly be able to keep up for the whole match much less get ahead enough to attack much. I hope I'm wrong and it's super competitive but I really only see Eddie attacking and Reilly defending until he can't anymore.

18. cjd

cjd Blue Belt

I'm inclined to agree - the renzo crew has a knowledge of transitions and understanding of breaking pressures that seems far beyond anything else out there. While Riley's game is great, it still seems firmly rooted in 'Leg Lock 1.0'

19. Uchi Mata

I don't know if I'd say leg lock 101, Reilly is a very good leg locker and his stuff is way ahead of most of what you'll see the average BJJ BB teach, I just don't think he's had the training partners and analytical talent of a guy like Danaher to finish the system so to speak. Reilly's stuff seems firmly rooted in Sambo, which much like Judo is more about quick attacks and snatching something than positional control through transitions leading inexorably to a sub. With Reilly I think you'll have to defend 2-3 attacks and then you'll probably be okay, with Eddie I feel like you have to defend continuously until you either get ahead of him or get him out of position, and that's extremely hard to do given the level of expertise he's built up in these positions. It would be a little like trying to keep Marcelo off your back...it can be done, but he's so much faster mentally in transitioning to the next angle and he has so much more experience attacking in that manner than you do in defending that your odds of survival aren't good. Eddie's certainly not the level of grappler MG is (not that he's not still improving rapidly), but it still takes really special people like Tanquinho to be able to survive his pressure.

20. cjd

cjd Blue Belt

Just to be clear, I said 1.0 not 101 :) - not that Riley's approach is basic but that Eddie seems to be operating in a different paradigm. EDIT: I hate myself for using this much corporate newspeak.

I've been to seminars with both - their approach is actually fundamentally rather different. Eddie actually doesn't like a lot of the leg control concepts that Riley espouses - their system seems built around fast transitions, counters, and being able to apply breaking pressure from very unexpected places.