Eddie Bravo's No-Gi Hypothetical Question

gocubs1815

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
Has anyone read "Mastering the Rubber Guard"?

There is a section in there regarding a hypothetical question involving two students, one stricktly Gi the other strictly No-gi.

I think its the best, funniest part of the book to be honest. I showed it to my mom and she about damn near peed her pants laughing.

What do you guys think? Does he make a point?

I have since sold those books so I can't really reference the section you are talking about....synopsis?

I read that part and it was so funny...can you image a massive tattoo of Jesus on the cross wearing a gameness gi!!!

He makes a point.

I have since sold those books so I can't really reference the section you are talking about....synopsis?

I believe he's talking about GI vs no-GI, where two students are taught by the same instructor, one strictly in the GI, the other strictly no-GI. The GI goes on and wins mundials and the no-GI wins ADCC. He then asks if the two students were to have a no-GI match, who would win?

He's basically arguing that if you want to do well in no-GI, you should train that and not GI.

Long story short.

One student in East LA (a mexican) trains exclusivly with the Gi
Another student in Compton (a black guy) trains exclusivly no-gi

Both train under Royler Gracie equally.

Then the trash talk begins and they have a no-gi, no points, no time limit match.

Who do you bet your house on?

I believe he's talking about GI vs no-GI, where two students are taught by the same instructor, one strictly in the GI, the other strictly no-GI. The GI goes on and wins mundials and the no-GI wins ADCC. He then asks if the two students were to have a no-GI match, who would win?

He's basically arguing that if you want to do well in no-GI, you should train that and not GI.

I forgot but how many ADCC champions has Eddie Bravo produced?

The situation is slanted towards no-gi...what if the students were to have a Gi match?

Who cares?

Train in both.

Long story short.

Then the trash talk begins and they have a no-gi, no points, no time limit match.

and they were both world champion in their respective style.

it is like this other hypothetical question:

A legend and a douchebag compete against each other in ADCC, who wins?

both

eddie beats royler = dbag wins
leo dominates eddie = dbag loses

Damn, I feel like eddie since i made a public statement and brought up eddie beating royler.

Now, if I could go tone deaf and grow a dbag soul patch I could be another step to becoming the fungus that is Eddie Bravo.

The situation is slanted towards no-gi...what if the students were to have a Gi match?

Who cares?

Train in both.

I think that was the point he was trying to make. A lot of the older generation BJJers at that point advocated training with a Gi regardless of whether they were competing gi or no-gi. He was pointing out that is you ONLY plan to train No-gi, training No-gi from the start is ok or even better than everyone starting with Gi training.

Who cares?

Train in both.

I think Eddie point was that if you want to compete in NOGI.

you should only train NOGI which is against the belief that GI training makes you NOGI better..

who cares? just another NOGI vs GI thread! :icon_neut

Did you show your mom the part where he tells you to smoke pot?

I know this is wildy off topic but Ive always wondered why this board is so anti marijuana. Why is that?

I know this is wildy off topic but Ive always wondered why this board is so anti marijuana. Why is that?

huh?

I've always considered this board rather pro-marijuana. That doesn't mean people have to like that Eddie wastes big parts of his books raving stupidly about drugs.

Long story short.

Gi guy by clock choke or bow and arrow.

Back