eddie bravos books

Richard Emling

Black Belt
Professional Fighter
Reaction score
i cant roll very hard right now becuse im recovering from back surgery so i was thinking or getting some reading matieral has any one read mastering the rubber guard or mastering the twister are they a good read are they easy to fallow?

I have the Rubber Guard book. After you get past the beginning which is all about how he likes weed it is helpful.

But, you need someone to practice with. Reading alone isn't going to help at all if that's what you were planning on.

yeah, recover from back surgery by practising some rubber guard... i think you have already started on the weed and it is affecting your judgement

dude.. your back might not be able to withstand the flexibility its going to need to pull off the rubber guard..

get Marcelo's book instead

randy couture's book is fucking awesome. it opened up my takedown game like dynamite to a dam

I think he is looking to read, not practice. Or at least I hope.

I have both books, and both are very well-organized. I would highly reccomend them.

Just bought his book Jiu-Jitsu Unleashed. It is my first BJJ book. Getting ready to crack it. I believe it is a more comprehensive book than the other two.

But, you need someone to practice with. Reading alone isn't going to help at all if that's what you were planning on.

I have Jiu Jitsu Unleashed and it was an interesting read (the actual reading parts) but I didn't get much of anything out of just reading it on my own. I need to do it to learn it so I 100% agree with Frederik here.

I guess getting the book can't hurt, and depending on your learning style it could be OK. But until I get someone to walk through the stuff with me it isn't doing much for me.

He has the DVDs now so maybe you should just get those instead. I found it way more helpful than the books.

yeah, recover from back surgery by practising some rubber guard... i think you have already started on the weed and it is affecting your judgement

QFT
I don't know your skill level but I personally would recommend against Eddie's books for your condition and if you are fairly new to grappling. One book I think is very under rated is Rodrigo Gracies "Path to the Black Belt". It covers basic fundamentals has some good training philosophy and I think is an overall a very good book for a beginner.

Personally I think Bravo's books should be avoided by people before they have at least a year or two of experience. There are so many fundamentals that should be learned first and jumping right into some of the more "exotic" stuff will distract you from things like good posture, form and technique because you will be focusing on this "silver bullet".

Also you need to be flexible as hell to pull it off and in "Mastering the Rubber Guard" Bravo even states that his own back has gotten pretty messed up so he has to go to a chiropractor and work on his back a lot.

I just ordered Marcelo's book. Easier on the back, and it's supposed to be great for those who like to sweep from guard.

I can't recommend mastering the rubber guard enough but I would ignore rubber guard for now and work the half guard and butterfly sections.

Back