Eddie Bravos Book: Jiu jitsu Unleashed.

--Shogun--

White Belt
Reaction score
In another thread I heard this is a pretty good book.

But im just curious.. for those who use his techniques successfully did you learn them from a class or fromt he book itself.

What I mean is, does the book describe the techniques properly so that when you read it you will be able to make all the proper movments? and be able to use them when u grapple even if u just practice them with a friend.

first off, it's a great book, second, just by reading the descriptions and looking at the pictures you can easily figure out what's going on and use it in your next training session

I learned the half guard from his excellent dvd, the Smoking Machine,
and I learned his rubber guard from the book.
I just try at my BJJ school & keep working details wether it is successful or not.

works very well for me.

Saw the book yesrterday and am saving up for it already

Some of the basic moves, I can figure out as a beginner. The more advanced things I haven't even tried.

I have picked up a lot of the half guard sweeps from the book and can use them very effectively. Great book!

VampireMonk:
LMAO, Is that the actual name of it? You gotta love that guy, such a role model LOL.

--Shogun-- said:
In another thread I heard this is a pretty good book.

But im just curious.. for those who use his techniques successfully did you learn them from a class or fromt he book itself.

What I mean is, does the book describe the techniques properly so that when you read it you will be able to make all the proper movments? and be able to use them when u grapple even if u just practice them with a friend.

The answer to the question you didn't ask is yes, you can learn MMA without attending a dojo or receiving formal instruction. Evan Tanner began this way. But read: began. This is massively inferior to practicing under the eyes of someone who can see your mistakes, because YOU CAN'T. Believe me, you can't.

However, if you're gonna go this route, I suggest video instruction (this is what Evan did). You need to see the whole motion. Books like this one are resources Sherdoggers who formally train. Eddie teaches groundbreaking techniques and his own unique system that isn't our instructors'. Since we're already familiar with the basics and positions, it's easy for us to just throw this stuff in and give it a whirl with our rolling partner.

You could check out that DVD by Eddie. After that, check out Mario Sperry and Saulo Ribeiro. The sets are pretty expensive, so you'll probably have to choose.

http://www.budovideos.com/shop/customer/home.php
They carry just about everything, including DVD's by the aforementioned masters.

http://www.groundfighter.com/
Strictly groundfighting. An exceptionally streamlined inventory, only the best. They also carry Mario and Saulo, but they don't have Eddie's stuff.

VampireMonk said:
and I learned his rubber guard from the book.
I just try at my BJJ school & keep working details wether it is successful or not.

works very well for me.

Is there anyone who have a link for "the Smoking Machine"? Never heard of it, is there such a thing? I couldent find it at budovideos.

Happy Camper said:
Is there anyone who have a link for "the Smoking Machine"? Never heard of it, is there such a thing? I couldent find it at budovideos.

It is also referred to as Twister.

Talk about a book with a lot of buzz. Is this the 6th thread we've had about this book already?

Just bought it last night, its an awsome book, the introduction is a GREAT read. the techniques are greatly explained. I was a victim of his half guard not to long ago, craziest thing ive felt in grappling, its just so damn confusing.

Thanks. I have seen the twister. Was hoping that Bravo had made an instructional.

Great book, has helped my game alot. I now prefer the half guard over the full one.
One thing though, alot of eddies techniques require flexibility, so if you are a stiff guy, loosen up before trying eddies stuff :D

Back