Eddie Bravo: The biggest difference between Tony and all of Khabib's other opponents

always thought khabib is open to chokes when going for takedowns. no one is better than that than tony, and off his back. khabib can be whooping tonys ass for 24 mins and i wouldnt be suprised to see tony pull off a sub win
friggin dreamers in here all hopeful of Khabib getting subbed LOLOLOL.
Just no, if you watch Khabib fight , he doesnt just get top control , he pins your arms and legs before giving you the smesh.

For English not being your first language, your posts are not hard to understand at all. I think you are doing just fine.

Thanks mate, it's a global language, so yeah I have too, and I'm living in London so obviously it helps.
(It's actually my third language and Spanish my fourth)

You don't have to type down word for word
<JagsKiddingMe>
Could have fooled me since you said Khabib will smash Tony and I used loses when it hits the ground. That is basically the same thing. I know you don't think it is but suffice it to say it actually is.

One fact to bring up- hasn't Khabib been as tall or taller than all his opponents? Tony seems to be the biggest one and def. Taller. He has a 6.5 inch reach advantage on Khabib.

...most of the guys that Khabib takes down, they are spending all their energy trying to get back up, and then get taken down, and then drag themselves back up and then get taken down again and back and forth (and that's where they lose the fight, gassing themselves). Tony is not going to do that. He's going to attack from his back. Khabib has never dealt with a guy that's like "okay, we're on the ground, let's do this." It's a different ballgame when Khabib's trying to keep a guy on the ground who's trying to drag himself up vs. a guy that will just square up and is like "ok, let's attack". Tony will get taken down, and there will prob. be some attempts here and there to try to get up but for the most part Tony won't do what every other guy does is freak out and try to expend all this energy trying to get up. He'll embrace the position and attack from his back which Tony is very dangerous from.

I'm paraphrasing, but this Bravo take (from his fight companion/jre) is probably the most logical thing I've heard in discussing why Tony has the best chance of any fighter to beat Khabib.
hes right.. but on the flip side its also hard to tell whether that will work on khabib or not. only time will tell. as Eddie said.. nobody has ever tried that with khabib.

<JagsKiddingMe>
Could have fooled me since you said Khabib will smash Tony and I used loses when it hits the ground. That is basically the same thing. I know you don't think it is but suffice it to say it actually is.
Quite the imagination you have there

There is no clear definition for "Smesh"
"As soon as it hits the ground" as a definition is your creation

Dear god this fight just needs to get announced SOON!!

Khabib was winning black belt divisions 7 years ago, Tony got his black belt like last year. There are levels to this

Quite the imagination you have there

There is no clear definition for "Smesh"
"As soon as it hits the ground" as a definition is your creation
I never once claimed ANYTHING about a clear definition. I simply used "As soon as it hits the ground" in favor of the idiotic word you and everyone else prefers in "Smesh"

I never once claimed ANYTHING about a clear definition. I simply used "As soon as it hits the ground" in favor of the idiotic word you and everyone else prefers in "Smesh"
I never said you did say it was the clear definition
I'm pointing out there is no definition when you say "it's basically the same thing"
It isn't.

Plenty of Khabib's fights were not "over as soon as they hit the ground" but still people say they were "Smeshed".

Hard to have an offence when someones giving u damage via gnp

"Tony won't do what every other guy does is freak out and try to expend all this energy trying to get up"

You say that, but here's the thing.. Tony has enough energy to power 397 cities across the globe, his cardio is the best in UFC in any weightclass in my opinion. His energy is insane and he is so intense. He could probably run from USA too Antarctica and then too North Africa and not have a ounce of sweat on him. Because Tony is the type of guy...... :D you know the rest :D

I'm pointing out there is no definition when you say "it's basically the same thing"
So you are nit picking for what reason then? Whether someone uses the word 'smeshed' or 'over as soon as it hits the ground' it's saying Khabib will win. You are almost disagreeing with yourself lol.

Yeah Tony was a straight savage off his back against Lee alright...

I feel like if Tony gets taken down, Khabib's face is going to be shredded by Tony's elbows.

It's going to be a great fight IMO.

Khabib usually rides people from the back, he doesnt really take people down and sit on them in their guard.

Will be hard for Tony to hit him with elbows if he's stuffed sideways into the cage.

Should be a great fight though.

Khabib shoots in > takes him down > Rubber guard > tony drops elbows from the bottom > choke
that;s how i see it
I see it the same way as gegard mousasi vs king mo. Khabib is going to bleed being in Tony’s guard. Khabib if going get uncomfortable and freak out and he’s going to get caught.

Agreee completely.

Another big thing is Tony does not back up. He will press forward. So Khabib wont be getting takedowns against the fence. If he wants a take down, itll have to be in the middle of the cage. And if he does get a takedown and is on top in the middle, he probably wont be as affective. He'll also be at risk of getting subbed during every takedown attempt. The person thats being pressured is usually the one thats thinking and thus spending more energy. I think Tony is the one that will do the pressuring.

I got Tony in this fight.
I honestly dont think Khabib wants this fight. He's probably going to fight Conor, then GSP and call it quits after that.

Agreee completely.

Another big thing is Tony does not back up. He will press forward. So Khabib wont be getting takedowns against the fence. If he wants a take down, itll have to be in the middle of the cage. And if he does get a takedown and is on top in the middle, he probably wont be as affective. The person thats being pressured is usually the one thats thinking and thus spending more energy.

I got Tony in this fight.
I honestly dont think Khabib wants this fight. He's probably going to fight Conor, then GSP and call it quits after that.

They signed four times for it, and khabib already said 4/5 times that Ferguson deserve the title shot.
They both want it.
The one who doesn't want it is obviously Dana fucking White.

They signed four times for it, and khabib already said 4/5 times that Ferguson deserve the title shot.
They both want it.
The one who doesn't want it is obviously Dana fucking White.

Yeah, but Khabib has grown his brand enough that he has some leverage now. Dana can't make him fight Conor or GSP. Khabib can basically tell Dana that it's Tony next, and Dana is then backed into a corner and he'd have to make this fight. What's he going to do, strip Khabib LOL? Not a chance. Khabib is growing the UFC in places nobody else has so far. They want him happy. Obviously if Tony wins that puts a big dent in that and that may be what Dana fears...that he now has a 36 year old champ that will never be hugely marketable (and only has a couple years left in his prime anyway-at the most). The thing is, even if Tony beat Khabib there's still a path that's lucrative for the UFC. They'd likely make Conor vs Tony next, which of course would sell huge. Then they'd make Khabib vs winner of Gaethje/Cowboy as the #1 contender fight. Likely Khabib smashes either of them and Tony slices up Conor. Then you have a rematch of Tony vs Khabib that would be huge.

In short, Dana lowballing Tony in an effort to keep him away from the title fight seems shortsighted. Even if Dana's worst case came true and Tony was the champ, the division still moves along and is compelling with big fights.

Back