Eddie Bravo: The biggest difference between Tony and all of Khabib's other opponents

He's gonna get smeshed

usa_today_10334424.0.jpg
Who won that fight again? Tony isn't Conor, dude. He doesn't flail about until he decides to tap.

That isn't Tony's fault. I'd pick Tony to beat Kevin even quicker in a rematch.
It's not about being his fault, it's about him getting all the credit. Lee is in a dark place right now, his head coach died and he is only starting to rebuild himself. He is nowhere near ready for any kind of mentally challenging fight. If he gets his shit together in the future, a healthy Lee has a very good chance of avenging his loss.

I don't know man, waiting there on the bottom waiting for a sub on kabibh seems like a bad plan to me. It is quite easy to avoide subs from the top when you a high level

Tony presents a lot of threats that others Khabib fought haven't.

khabib presents 1 threat best than all the others
suffocating top control, relentless ground and pound.

tony has faced wrestlers and strikers, but he has never faced the best grappler at light weight period.

People keep saying khabib will just pound on him. I say this.so what.
Khabib is not a smashing machine gnp savage like people like to make out .
If we look at actual facts khabib has just two wins in his whole ufc career by tko stoppage. Let's look at the bold:
Darrell fuckin Horcher
And the other was in 2013.
Dude doesnt hit as hard on the ground and isnt that devasting. Facts. If he was, with his control, he would be beating people unconscious or at least until the ref stops it.

So what if he doesn't finish the fight with GnP. His punches are powerful enough that it makes you cover up and switch positions which gives him room to pass.

He didn't finish Michael Johnson nor Barbosa with punches, but the punches hurt them enough to be on the defensive the whole fight.

Khabib is all about positions, I've never seen him sit in someone's full guard and risk getting elbowed and submitted. Everything he does is to improve position including punches. He's always knee on belly, on your back, or trapping your legs when he's on top.

It's hard to imagine Tony landing any elbows when Khabib is in side control or riding on his back

always thought khabib is open to chokes when going for takedowns. no one is better than that than tony, and off his back. khabib can be whooping tonys ass for 24 mins and i wouldnt be suprised to see tony pull off a sub win

Exactly! Tony got D'Arces from days and odd angles. If this fight doesn't happen next
<codychoke>

A common argument I see from the very same fans who point to the Castillo/Ferguson fight from 2014 as evidence of Khabib's advantages over Ferguson are the same people who say the difficult 2012 fight between Khabib and Tibau is no longer relevant due to how long ago the fight occurred.

Just an observation.

One thing is for sure Khabib has never fought a guy who uses the rubber guard. Will Khabib bring someone in to train this position? I doubt it... he might be seeing it for the first time in the fight. If nothing else it makes it interesting

Tony is the type of guy, that is going to lie down on the center of the cage and invite Habib in guard, so that he can beat him where he is best.

Imagine this is how the fight starts...

He just rushes to the center and lays down , open guard style

What a mind fuck for khabib..what a statement it would be..

Of course Eddie is going to vouch for his own guy, but even he said he is uncertain Tony would win, that should tell you something.

Tony attacking off his back will just leave holes for Khabib to expose considering he is vastly superior on the ground.

Tony has only fought two wrestlers in his career and he looked extremely vulnerable against both of them, and Lee and Castillo are not 1/10th the fighters Khabib is.

Khabib has superior wrestling but Tony has superior submission skills, Dustin almost caught him in a guillotine, Tony would have got it.

khabib presents 1 threat best than all the others
suffocating top control, relentless ground and pound.

tony has faced wrestlers and strikers, but he has never faced the best grappler at light weight period.

Just like Khabin has never faced someone who brings what Tony does. The most important aspect that's worked for Khabib is his opponent's fear of the TD. Prolific strikers become super timid against him. There won't be any of that w Tony. He'll let his hands fly and use his pressuring style and WHEN he does get taken down, If he uses his rubber guard to protect himself from Khabib's GNP, he has a very good chance. If Ortega was bigger, he'd be a threat as well. Nobody wants to play in his guard. Not even Khabib.

The only two wrestlers Tony has fought are far less impressive wrestlers and grapplers than Khabib, and still made Tony look vulnerable.

People are pretending Tony is a wizard off of his back. No, he just gets taken down easily and has a streak full of guys who aren't good wrestlers. And his next fight will be against one of the best wrestlers we've ever seen in the sport.
It was 5 years ago (castillo).

Khabib has superior wrestling but Tony has superior submission skills, Dustin almost caught him in a guillotine, Tony would have got it.

You should maybe listen to what Khabib said in the press conference about this guillotine and what Javier mendes said to Ariel helwani.

You should maybe listen to what Khabib said in the press conference about this guillotine and what Javier mendes said to Ariel helwani.

I heard Khabib say it was on tight but I'm not going to go out my way to listen to an Ariel interview, was that not the case?

It's not about being his fault, it's about him getting all the credit. Lee is in a dark place right now, his head coach died and he is only starting to rebuild himself. He is nowhere near ready for any kind of mentally challenging fight. If he gets his shit together in the future, a healthy Lee has a very good chance of avenging his loss.
Doubt it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
herrsackbauer
Back