Eddie Bravo: The biggest difference between Tony and all of Khabib's other opponents

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by FrankDux, Sep 10, 2019.

1. mkess101

mkess101 Not the hero he deserves, but the hero he needs

That's why Tony should press forward immediately and if Khabib shoots and gets in on Tony's hips, Tony should maybe pull guard in the center of the cage and take the fence out of play.

2. kalabula

kalabula Black Belt

Sometimes Eddie has some good insight into these hypothetical matchups. But he also thinks hurricanes are a conspiracy. So you need to take that into consideration as well.

3. HHJ

HHJ Jeg reiser til mørkets dyp der alt er dødt.

I dont agree that he folded worse than conor at all. Dustin actually had moments in the fight. But that 2nd guillotine was his last chance and he knew it. Burned his arm out,all hope was lost. Still,he tried to fight the choke.

Woodstock99 likes this.
  4. Joohnmatrix

Joohnmatrix Purple Belt

Still can't believe the fuckers have denied tony a shot for so long.

5. LeVagabond

LeVagabond Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

"this Bravo take (from his fight companion/jre) is probably the most logical thing I've heard" maybe this is not logic at all, maybe it is just dumb, why do you think all fighters ( 28 fighters ) are trying to get straight back up ? because if you stay on the ground no matter who you are, you are getting smashed, tony aint the first one who got this gameplan, but once they feel the actual pressure, they know they can do nothing ... btw khabib aint kevin lee, khabib goes 5 rounds easy

Woodstock99 likes this.
  6. mkess101

The one time we saw Khabib vs a very capable guard player, he did zero damage, none. He landed 36 total sig strikes. Yes, he controlled him well and easily won. But he damn sure didn't "smash" him.

So maybe you are saying a good guard player may still just be held down and lose a decision even if they take no damage. And that might be true. But we've seen a guy who's capable off his back be there for much of 15 minutes and absorb no damage, so the idea that Tony (who granted is a different style grappler) might be able to do that for 3 rounds and then try to take over late isn't crazy at all.

7. Genisys

Genisys Purple Belt

If Khabib won’t give him space to go throw elbows then how will he land and ground and pound. If you attempt to strike from the top you open yourself to strikes and submission attempts. If he postures up he opens himself to leg locks. I hope this fights happens in December. All of these questions will finally be answered.

Woodstock99 likes this.
  8. LeVagabond

look I have seen an ADCC world champion, best bjj fighter currently in the ufc ( maybe maia is better ) doing nothing from his guard against islam, I doubt tony who is barely a black belt can do something ... but you will support your boy I get it, at the end of the day after khabib destroyed tony for 5 rounds, you will delete this account and find a new fighter to idolize ...

Woodstock99 likes this.
  9. SexyBaroni

SexyBaroni Brown Belt

Lee is actually more explosive than Khabib and has better double.
    But he has worse cardio and Khabib is better overall grappler.
    Tony used striking, pressure and active guard to tire Lee out,
    and even in the mount Lee did little due to Tony's skill.

10. SexyBaroni

SexyBaroni Brown Belt

Man, this fight was 5 years ago.
    Tony has won 5 fights by sub since then... he improved a lot everywhere.
    Bringing up Castillo fight is like bringing up Tibau fight to measure Khabib's skill.

11. WhiteMousse

WhiteMousse Brown Belt

He submitted him that fight you dumb fuck

12. shoorik1987

shoorik1987 Purple Belt

I know, but his recent fight with Lee showed us that his TDD has not improved since that fight, his guard activity maybe a little. he was very active against Castillo as well as Lee. But Lee was so gassed that he decided to take a little breather in Fergusons guard and got caught. I rewatched that Lee fight as well, it was by not means a quick triangle. If Lee had anything left in the gas tank he could have fought it off, but it's almost like he was so tired and check out mentally, that he decided that he didn't want to fight the last two rounds. Also while taking a breather in the guard he got peppered with elbows.

So what do I think.

1. I think yes, Ferg will get taken down at will. He will not be stuffing no take downs from Khabib, no way no how.
    2. I think that the sub threat is there, but Khabib will push him up against the fence though unlike Ferg and Castillo who took him down in the open. By the cage there will be a lot less room to manoeuvre and scramble.
    3. I think the sub threat when he goes for the take down will look different, because he won't go for the doubles against Ferg, but will use the Greco-Roman clinch take downs and will not expose his neck. If you look at his different fights he uses different approaches for different opponents. He has a very wide arsenal of TDs and is not a one trick pony when it comes to that. He has singles, doubles, trips, greco-roman style tds from the clinch and by the waist.
    4. In the standup, Ferg has a MASSIVE reach advantage and wider variety of techniques, but he has a weaker chin and has been dropped a lot in his career which makes me think that if Khabib lands the Henderson overhand like he did against Conor he can K.O. him. Khabib was the first guy to drop Conrad on his ass after all. But in general Ferg will have an advantage here.
    5. Submissions, I don't think Khabib will get subbed by Ferg. The reason I think Khabib gave Dustin his neck so much is first and foremost because he didn't respect his ground game and also to make him burn his arms out.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
    Woodstock99 and SexyBaroni like this.
  13. SexyBaroni

SexyBaroni Brown Belt

Lee is a very explosive wrestler, his power double is better than Khabib's.
    He has great control and beat Barboza worse than Khabib.
    Khabib has better cardio and overall grappling, tho.

Tony tired Lee out by being active from bottom, sub threats and unorthodox tempo striking.
    Lee just got overwhelmed and when things didn't go his way, started to fade.

14. Kdup

Kdup Blue Belt

Khabib will take tony down at will. You have to see this.

Woodstock99 likes this.
  15. mkess101

Ramos was on absolute queer street when it hit the mat. If course a guy who got blasted like that won't do anything when he barely knows where he is.

LMAO I won't delete this account dum dum. And in fact I've said both guys have paths to victory so I won't even be shocked if Khabib wins. But you are still ignoring the point. Khabib fought a guy who isn't a super highly decorated grappler (he's good but not an ADCC champ or anything) and Khabib did ZERO damage in that fight. None. So it's possible we see something similar for 3 rounds and then things change.

If Tony wins my guess is you'll leave for sure, or will pretend Khabib doesn't exist and just tell everyone that Machachaev is the guy you worshipped all along.

16. Redfish

Redfish Yellow Belt

There's only one ghost monster. Ever held down a ghost? No, I didn't think so

17. Redfish

Redfish Yellow Belt

In before the........Kevin Lee says hi replies....he lost.

18. chiefwiggum

chiefwiggum Red Belt

Connor had moments as well.
    With a fighters mentality it’s never your last chance. Unless you give up on yourself.
    Which Dustin did.
    That’s why tony is different. Those guys tried and then accepted defeat.
    Tony isn’t like that.
    As awesome as khabib is. I would never bet against tony.
    for The reasons I stated earlier.

I’ve seen conor khabib a lot. But I can’t recall the sequence before the neck crank
    And if Connor just gave it up. I’d have to watch it again. ( which I will)
    I’m a big fan of all three of those fighters and Dustin too.

Dustin is getting more credit because he’s a nice guy and humble.
    But as I said Many fighters quit today. And in mma their is all sorts of ways to quit.

I mean if Dustin can only go for 2.5 rounds without burning out. That’s a knock on Dustin.

At the very top of the sport journalists and avid fans should be critical of him. But they’re not and I suppose that’s fine as it’s more accepted today.

But make no mistake about it. Dustin literally rolled over.
    And going by his post fight statements he sounded like he was beaten and doesn’t think he can ever beat khabib. As he rolled over and submitted and Dustin knows it.

19. LeVagabond

lol ramos had 4 minutes to work ... 4 minutes is a damn long time

20. LeVagabond

I am not a khabib fanboy like you are a tony fanboy, I picked dustin to beat khabib, but I know grappling better than you obviously, if an adcc champ couldn't do shit in 4 minutes, your boy who is no where near the same lvl of grappling won't do shit either ...