Eddie Alvarez refutes notion that all the best fighters are competing in UFC: ‘It’s complete crap’

I don't think anyone is claiming that all the best fighters are in the UFC.

The UFC has the best depth of fighters. Other promotions may have one or two top tier fighters, but 6 or 7 of the top 10 will be in the UFC in most divisions.

The number 5 fighter in the UFC will be rank #7 or #8. The number 5 fighter in One or Bellator will be #20 or so.

Of course, in most cases, the top fighter IS in the UFC.

When looking at the average talent level of rosters the UFC's is superior to their competition BY FAR. Nobody is claiming that there aren't any UFC champ level fighters outside the UFC.

Did he say this when he was on the UFC’s roster? Of course not...

They don't have all of the top fighters but they have most of them. To become champ in the UFC legitimately is the toughest org to do it in.

Alvarez is the best journeyman to win a title

Like fuck dude split decisioned his way to a title shot, won the title in impressive fashion, then got knocked out by a 145er who has not won a fight since.
people throw around journeyman and gatekeeper alot now adays. eddie has won a title in every major org hes been in. i know fighter records arnt everything, but hes been in 37 fights. hes hand his raised 30 times. hes better than people who arnt considered journeyman.

Obviously hes gonna say that when the ufc didnt give a fuck about keeping him on the roster. Man became a journeyman lw in the ufc and hes talking shit about its not top fighters in the world. GTFO here, Alvarez was honestly gifted a decision even beating Melendez and lost to Cerrone. Imho I don't alvarez is even close to top 5 lws in world while the guys I do feel that way about are actually fighting in the ufc top 5

Last edited:
“That whole theory is crap that everybody who’s the best is a UFC guy,” Alvarez said when speaking to MMA Fighting. “It’s complete crap because I was the guy who didn’t fight in the UFC. I went there and won the belt. I beat arguably the best lightweight in that history. [Rafael dos Anjos] at the time was killing everyone. Like literally murdering the who’s who. So to go to the UFC, win the belt and be a guy from the outside that never fought there, I’m the guy you’re talking about.

“I wasn’t a UFC fighter per se but I went there and I won the world title. If I could do it, isn’t it true that anybody from the outside could possibly go there and win the title? It’s not arguable. It’s fact. The best fighters in the world, they’re all over and they’re virtually unknown.”

“As a fight fan myself, it’s clear that the level of striking is easily in the favor of ONE Championship. That can’t even be argued,” Alvarez said. “When you watch ONE Championship, and when you watch what goes on in the Muay Thai bouts and even the MMA bouts, the striking is vastly better in ONE Championship.”

ONE Championship has a strict set of rules when it comes to weight cutting for its athletes, which essentially means athletes are competing up a division while still technically fighting at a weight class below. In other words, Alvarez is fighting at 170 pounds, which would mean he’s a welterweight in most promotions but in ONE Championship that makes him a lightweight.

Alvarez has faced that type of adversity in his first two fights where both Nastyukhin and Folayang were visibly bigger than him but he knew that would be a problem on the day he signed with ONE Championship and opted to compete in the lightweight division.

“It’s an adjustment that I agreed to. The guys are bigger. My opponents are bigger but they’ve also been fighting in ONE Championship and made that adjustment for years,” Alvarez explained. “I am just now making that adjustment to fighting at a high grade at 170. I’m not going to come in as the biggest 170-pounder. There are advantages and disadvantages to that. I can sit here and say ‘oh they’re bigger’ or I can focus on the good things like I’ll be more conditioned because they have to move around more weight or I’m faster because they’re more muscular. There are pros and cons.

“Being bigger doesn’t always correspond to being better. I’m a true believer that fights aren’t won in a size discrepancy. Fights are won and lost in the spirit of the two guys inside the cage.”

https://www.mmafighting.com/platfor...&utm_source=twitter&__twitter_impression=true
Eddie is right...I have said this for the last 15 years...t-wood became champ after coming from strikeforce as well as DC and Luke just to name a few.......dana has always been a con man to the those who are uneducated in MMA

Obviously hes gonna say that when the ufc didnt give a fuck about keeping him on the roster. Man became a journeyman lw in the ufc and hes talking shit about its not top fighters in the world. GTFO here, Alvarez was honestly gifted a decision even beating cerrone. Imho I don't alvarez is even close to top 5 lws in world while the guys I do feel that way about are actually fighting in the ufc top 5
He lost to Cerrone. Your casual is showing.

he's right, no matter if he's biased.
UFC probably has 80% of the best talent, but there are very good guys in other promotions.
UFC ain't always the best-paying option for fighters

It's strange ever since Edgy Alvarez left UFC all he does is talk about UFC!

Eddie kinda has to say this, he just got bodied by a guy without a wikipedia page.

Obviously there are very talented, even elite fighters in other companies, but the vast majority of the best MMA fighters in the world are in the UFC

It makes no sense with the weight cutting. If you are 170 vs another person who is 170. How are you shorter and less muscular than someone who weighs the same? There obviously is some sort of weight cutting going on.
When he says the other fighters have adjusted to 170, he means they've figured out how to cut weight

They don't have all of the top fighters but they have most of them. To become champ in the UFC legitimately is the toughest org to do it in.

Alvarez is the best journeyman to win a title

Like fuck dude split decisioned his way to a title shot, won the title in impressive fashion, then got knocked out by a 145er who has not won a fight since.

Yeah he wasn't even the best Bellator fighter in his division(close though) back when he and Michael were basically all Bellator had but an old folks home. ONE isn't close to being as good as the UFC and Eddie's case revealed Eddie received EXTREMELY deferential treatment in his path to the title(compare what he did for a shot to people in the low 10 and top 15 at 155 and you see my point who else is getting a title shot off a few split decisions in 3 round fights? They don't do that for anyone.) Might seem small next to Conor but they apparently really wanted to break up that Chandler rivalry.

That being said ONE is now a third major MMA organization and the UFC doesn't have ALL the best fighters or close, they are a very clear cut number one but they are nowhere near a monopoly anymore. I remember when the UFC had a monopoly and had every top fighter in every division except one where they had 8 out of 10. ONE has at least one of the best versions of a division though it's borderline voluntary given why(MM the mass cutting etc). Also think their 135 division is at least on par with the UFC's reason I'm saying maybe is cause the UFC's best 135'ers fight each other so rarely we honestly have no fucking clue how good these guys are. So ONE has at least one(no pun intended) division that is the best in the sport. But again Eddie's division is not the division that's given his org credibility, when a champ with zero defenses comes over to ONE and gets KTFO, that says more about Eddie than it does the UFC cause no one really thought he was the best in the UFC even when he was champ. It's different if someone like MM, Jones or GSP went over there and lost to a relative nobody.

Eddie kinda has to say this, he just got bodied by a guy without a wikipedia page.

Obviously there are very talented, even elite fighters in other companies, but the vast majority of the best MMA fighters in the world are in the UFC
Wikipedia or no Wikipedia, nasthyukin actually seems fairly talented, very good striker but seems to lack the ground game based on his record and what I've read about him. His fight against Eddie he certainly seemed UFC caliber

Eddie was 4-3-1 in the UFC, with a dubious win against Pettis, won the belt only to lose it in his very first title defense which he called an easy fight going into it, he isnt exactly wrong, but his UFC run was not really special other than he got to win the belt.

It makes no sense with the weight cutting. If you are 170 vs another person who is 170. How are you shorter and less muscular than someone who weighs the same? There obviously is some sort of weight cutting going on.

One doesn't reveal the weight cut or the hydration level. It's a scam.

Back