Eddie Alvarez' ONE 8 figure deal

Its 8 digits. Yen.
Means 6 digits in usd, could be 300k a fight. Good.

Like alot of people said 10 million really isn't crazy for eddie if the details are weird like "30 years" and probably 20+ fights. So he's getting 500-400k an actual fight and some off the top for signing.

And now we know the big name he was hinting is DJ.

Like alot of people said 10 million really isn't crazy for eddie if the details are weird like "30 years" and probably 20+ fights. So he's getting 500-400k an actual fight and some off the top for signing.

And now we know the big name he was hinting is DJ.

I don't think any org is handing out 20 year contracts or 20+ fight contracts. Plus he said the contract is for as long as some might think it would be.

Truth probably is Eddie is just trolling us more or less and it probably is in YEN's.

If by some miracle there is some truth to in US dollars. It would have to be a very odd ball contract with a lot of ifs, ands , and butts in it. Something like 300K a fight x 8 fights, hooked him up with some top sponsors willing to pay him maybe a total of a few million over the course of the contract, and some type of job awaiting him at retirement(he is in his mid 30's). Add it all up and he can make his 10 million.

P.S.: Let's not forget ONE could only use Askren on certain shows because he cost too much money.

Lol at paying in Yen. How stupid. ONe has never even put a show on in Japan.

He’s past his best before date. Good for him.

Hey Eddie, I don't think you're supposed to count the digits after the decimal.

But seriously, I've never seen One, I'm guessing I'd have to stream it? Is it free then, legally?

Singaporese dollars???

Looking online the conversion rate is 72 cents American for every Singapore dollar. So 8 figures...lets call it 10 million, translates to about $7.4 million for 8 fights. So he's looking at $875K per fight.

Not sure I believe this at all, but I guess we'll see what happens. I've always liked Eddie Alvarez but at this point in his career I can't honestly see anybody paying that kind of money for him. If it's all true then good for him!

But seriously, I've never seen One, I'm guessing I'd have to stream it? Is it free then, legally?
All events are streamed live and for free on youtube

For what it's worth, assuming it's at least $12,000,000 altogether (I don't think it's fair to just automatically assume that, during contract negotiations, bare-minimuming 8 figures would come off as strongly as people make it think), I think it's clear there's some kind of retirement package included.

Considering Eddie's gonna be considering retiring in 4 years anyways, if it's 8 fights and Eddie fights twice a year, he'll have run through the fights on his contract by then, and even if the company folds by then he'll still be making more money per-fight now than he is in the UFC just by opening up sponsorships [even in SEA, the amount of eyes on ONE compared to Bellator and Reebok means Eddie's gonna be making more off sponsors than he would anywhere in the U.S. by a good amount, and Eddie's mainly gonna be used for Japan, where he's got some connections already thanks to his DREAM experience]. Eddie's an extremely smart independent contractor, he wouldn't have signed with ONE if he wasn't getting an upgrade on his per-fight pay.

So Eddie's still better off now for the immediate future than he would be otherwise. It can take 4 years just to earn a title-shot nowadays in the UFC. And Eddie knows he's been the recipient of some decisions he had a 50% chance of losing, he knows how even when you do your best, victory isn't always guaranteed, especially over 4 years. If you assume he never would have won another UFC title again and you assume that ONE won't follow-through with their retirement-package deal, he'll be in the exact same situation in 4 years with his retirement looming. Except he's making more money per-fight now than he would be in the UFC and Bellator.

There's also the chance that ONE won't fold and they'll follow through, so I should just acknowledge that. In 2014 people were saying, "Pfft, yeah, right, ONE's gonna still be around in 2017, whatever" and now they're like Global Warming apologists and have to keep pushing the deadline back to prove their point that expecting something bad to happen is the road to happiness.

Regarding ONE's finances, It's been confirmed they're worth at Least 250 million dollars-- that's what a base capital value is, the Minimum you're worth. In Singapore or U.S. it's a lot. They've had a hundred million dollars worth of investments this year alone, that's how they can afford to poach two former UFC champions.

ONE gets their inflated billion-dollar valuation largely through "intangible assets"-- like how you can't really put a price on brand-recognition or on the growth-ceiling of the market you're in. Those are both 100% relevant when it comes to buying a company, for obvious reasons; who buys RC Cola compared to Pepsi or Coke, and who buys Zevia compared to RC Cola? ONE's brand-recognition is very strong, which is undeniable. 1's billion-dollar-valuation-based-on-brand-recognition is kinda Pandora's box-ish like that.

Intangible factors are what draw in investors, it's what allows you to overcome things like debt-versus-revenue when you're trying to keep a company alive, and being able to identify these intangibles and take a chance is what makes individuals millionaires, and millionaires billionaires. Chatri Sityodtong is a master businessman, which means he's almost-psychopathically charming in person. That's how he. That's what Dana White, in his own way, has done with the UFC. He swindled a couple of billionaire gambling-gangsters into putting money into a fight company, then it eventually turned a profit. The only real difference is Chatri also has an MBA from Harvard and, much like Vladimir Putin, has a legit martial arts background.

And I think he's better at getting money out of people than Dana, but doesn't have Dana's camerawork.

Factoring that in, their overall value does get risen, and while you can't really say how much it's worth, it raises the bar a good level above that $250,000,000 mark. It, more importantly, means ONE would have to go Way in the hole next year to go bankrupt, which means they're either Not gonna do that and make a profit for once (rumor has it they've already made a couple million dollars this year, which is nice since their investors have basically canceled out their debt), or they're gonna go bankrupt on $100,000,000 dollars worth of investments by 2020 and we're in for some crazy shit in the next year.

This easily puts them at At least 2016-Bellator level as far as overall value goes, I'd say. ONE has a higher potential for growth since they don't have to compete with a UFC-shaped monster for eyes on their product in a region that has 600,000,000 people.

I wouldn't be surprised-- at all-- if ONE signs Kyoji Horiguchi to challenge the Bibiano-Belingon II winner on the Japan event. No matter what, it's more interesting than anything Kyoji's got going on in RIZIN now aside from a fight with Otsuka or dropping down to 123 to fight Ochi. Or having some balls like his hero Kid Yamamoto did and fight lightweights.

We're also gonna be seeing a lot of Kondo-Renzo-type Royce-Shamrock-III matches thanks to the investors, so those kinda fights are gonna keep the company alive no matter what. Thankfully, Matt Hume, Chatri and Rich Franklin having total control over the matchmaking will keep it all in check.

Last edited:

Live events are free in very good quality steady stream via ONE FC official iOS app. There was a thread about this maybe two or three Shinya Aoki bouts ago. The hard part is staying awake long enough for the good bouts.

Back