Eddie Alvarez Losing His Cool Over UFC / Bellator Negotations

So you want fighters to get screwed so that the UFC gets screwed? No bias at all. Newsflash, the UFC is fine either way, the only one hurt is Eddie, nice to know how much you care about fighters.

Nope. I want fighters to not sign a contract in the first place if they aren't going to abide by it. Bellator is doing the right thing.

Hector Lombard is supposedly getting $250K per fight from the UFC after Bellator declined to match that offer. I'm sure the UFC learned its lesson and is offering Alvarez considerably less than that.

Hector Lombard is supposedly getting $250K per fight from the UFC after Bellator declined to match that offer. I'm sure the UFC learned its lesson and is offering Alvarez considerably less than that.

Actually the reports are Lombard got 400k signing bonus, he gets 300k a fight, I believe head to toe sponsorship from the UFC and PPV points.

So with the UFC sponsorship figure between 300-400k, I dont know how much the UFC sponsorship would pay him but it would put his purse in that range and add in PPV money and the 400k bonus when he signed.

Report is Eddie got a good deal but not great, not a Lombard type deal which is why it seems Bellator thinks they can match it.

If the UFC wanted Eddie bad enough, they could throw tons of money at him so that Bellator can't match.

Dana is just mad because he wants to pay peanuts to get Eddie and is blaming Bellator for his unwillingness to fork over the large contract.

A story someone posted a couple days seemed like Bellator matched the UFC offer but Eddie's lawyers were looking over the 2 contracts closely.

I was guessing the issue is Eddie 1. wants to go to the UFC now 2. Doesn't believe the offers are really equal because Bellator cannot guarantee ppv or something else the UFC is offering? Or having to fight in a tourney instead of big name match ups?

I would venture to say Eddie is missing out on huge sponsor money being signed with Bellator and not the UFC. Lots of fighters have come out and said that this sponsorship money matches or exceeds thier base pay rate for fighting.

Have not read much on Rebney but from what I have he comes across in interviews as very matter-of-fact about these negotiations. He doesn't strike me as vindictive or pissy. He wants to keep his best fighters but he either has the money to match or not. If not, like Nam and Lombard, he bids you farewell. Imagine, Alvarez is identical. If he gets Lombard money he'll be in the UFC.

So let me get this right. If you are a upcoming fighter you should never sign with Bellator otherwise you have the risk of being locked in it forever?

The same could be said for the ufc, if suddenly ufc is not the top organization anymore a fighter cant leave after his contract is ended?

Gosh, i hate unions and i hate the concept of unions but this business desperatly needs a fighter union.

No, smaller orgs need to realize that they are just feeder systems for the UFC.

This really would be best; and some actually have.

There's no shame in it either. Just like arena football people are always proud if they get people from the nfl, other orgs should play up their connection to the UFC (whether by sending fighters to the ufc or getting old fighters from the ufc)

bellator's NEVER going to be nearly as big as the UFC. Accept it

According to FRB this is what he said about it

"casposa summed up the situation well.

Bjorn knows he can't match the contract from UFC yet is claiming Bellator did.

UFC is offering tangible things. Things that can and will happen. Fight on FOX and fight on PPV.

Bellator is offering a PPV that they allege would draw 300,000 buys. Some UFC PPV's don't hit that mark anymore. This fantasy land stuff.

Bellator is claiming Spike is a legitimate match to FOX which is ridiculous.

Bjorn knows he can't legitimately match what UFC is offering so he's dragging this out and hoping Eddie says fuck it, I'll resign with Bellator so I can go on with my career. I can't continue to sit out and not get paid.

I wouldn't expect UFC to stand down. They want him. They're not about to lose a fight to Bjorn and Kevin Kay or Spike whom Dana hates.

This could be headed to a courtroom and the legal process moves very slowly."

So let me get this right. If you are a upcoming fighter you should never sign with Bellator otherwise you have the risk of being locked in it forever?

The same could be said for the ufc, if suddenly ufc is not the top organization anymore a fighter cant leave after his contract is ended?

Gosh, i hate unions and i hate the concept of unions but this business desperatly needs a fighter union.

UFC contracts are similar, you can leave but they have the right to match.

Difference is the UFC is the big show so when you are on top in the UFC there is nowhere else to go so guys really dont want to leave.

Bellator isnt on that level and never will be imo, you hit a ceiling in Bellator where you cant go any higher so fighters do want to leave but Bellator makes it tough on them.

If you are a prospect and your wish is to go to the UFC I would avoid Bellator because if you do well in Bellator they automatically extend your contract. If you win a tournament or even if you are just a tournament finalist and also a champ as your contract extends 3 fights or 18 months. So if you do well in Bellator they extend your contract which means if you sign with them you will be locked up for years. Then after 3/4 years they can match the offer and keep you from leaving.

UFC will get eddie. All they have to do is put a Fox fight and ppv in the deal....bellator simply has no way to match a network tv spot nor ppv since they have neither.

How is a Fox fight or being on pay per view unmatchable? A contract doesn't have to match the channel that your on wtf.

Thats like saying the lakers can match contracts by saying your gonna be playing at the staples center.

I see nothing wrong with Bellators model. Every Org is gonna want to keep their talent. Look at football/basketball. Noone wants to spend time developing talent just to have them jump ship once they get big. Bellator being around keeps things competitive and forces the UFC to shell out a couple more dollars. Also Bellators tournament models are better for fighters that dont have as much marketability or gimmicks. Your guaranteed a title shot if you win. How many fighters in the UFC had long win streaks and were clear contenders but got passed up over and over. You control your own destiny in Bellator.

Back