Eddie Alvarez Losing His Cool Over UFC / Bellator Negotations

This article cut out the part of the conversation where Dana explains the King Mo situation and states what I mentioned above. If you watch the actual interview (and trust Dana at his word) he states once a fighter is cut they can go wherever they want.

Because that the way the ufc does business if they cut you that means they don't want you go do your thing somewhere else but Legally they still have the right to match offers

White, who has been extensively traveling over the last week, did not respond to MMA Fighting's attempts to reach him, but the UFC did make available its executive vice president and general counsel Lawrence Epstein, who oversees fighter contracts.

According to Epstein, there are subtle differences between what the UFC does and what Bellator does. He said that in the case of Hollett, for instance, he had been cut by Bellator, and when it was publicly announced that the UFC signed him, Bellator "asserted" their rights to match. That, he says, is very different than the Lawal situation. According to him, after Lawal signed with Bellator, Zuffa received unsolicited correspondence from his management inquiring about their interest in matching.

According to Lawal's manager Mike Kogan, that is true. He did reach out to Zuffa to determine if they would match his Bellator offer. But only because he felt he was shortening an inevitable process.

"Their contract asks me to submit material terms of the agreement," he told MMA Fighting. "If I would have sent them an email outlining it, that would have delayed [the deal] even longer. So, yeah, they don't specifically say 'bring us a contract,' but if you’ve ever been involved in first right of refusal conversations, when you submit the terms, they always come back and say, 'How do we know these are the material terms?' It drags on. So to avoid that, we just sent them the contract. So in all fairness, they didn't ask for the contract specifically. But the language specifically asks for material terms of the offer, otherwise what the f--- are they matching? In language, they're not asking for it, but they're asking for material terms of the contract, so how else would I submit it to them without any doubt?"

Bellator treats their fighters like absolute shit. plain and simple

Can you provide us with some links to Bjorn bashing his fighter's in the media or any and every form of social media under the sun, cause I can provide about 50 examples of Dana doing it just in 2012 alone.

Can you provide us with some links to Bjorn bashing his fighter's in the media or any and every form of social media under the sun, cause I can provide about 50 examples of Dana doing it just in 2012 alone.

No, but i can provided several examples of Rebney hurting fighters careers and preventing them from making money.

Tyson nam, Brookins, Daley, Alvarez, ect.

Smaller orgs have to play hardball or have all there fighters leave once they win and defend the championship a few times. Sucks for the fighters though

Smaller orgs should realize that's what they're for. There are many who do understand that they're a stepping stone to the UFC, while others let their egos get in the way and think that fighters should be happy being stuck in a relatively small-time org.

No, but i can provided several examples of Rebney hurting fighters careers and preventing them from making money.

Tyson nam, Brookins, Daley, Alvarez, ect.

I'll give you Tyson, not so sure about the other's though, especially Eddie, the kid isn't struggling to make end's meet, and if you mean that by them blocking these guy's from fighting in other orgs, then the same can be said for the UFC, you fight when they say you fight and if they decide they only have room for you on one or two cards a year then I guess you better find a job so you can feed your family between fight's.

Until the UFC decides to give there contract fighters a yearly salary it's no different then Bellator.

Play it cool Eddie, we're all hoping the best for you.

A story someone posted a couple days seemed like Bellator matched the UFC offer but Eddie's lawyers were looking over the 2 contracts closely.

I was guessing the issue is Eddie 1. wants to go to the UFC now 2. Doesn't believe the offers are really equal because Bellator cannot guarantee ppv or something else the UFC is offering? Or having to fight in a tourney instead of big name match ups?

Yea who knows hopefully Eddie loses his cool and lets us know whats going on. It would be in his best interest to do so. The last thing Bellator wants is to have the hardcore MMA fan base turn on them right before there spike TV deal.

I'll give you Tyson, not so sure about the other's though, especially Eddie, the kid isn't struggling to make end's meet, and if you mean that by them blocking these guy's from fighting in other orgs, then the same can be said for the UFC, you fight when they say you fight and if they decide they only have room for you on one or two cards a year then I guess you better find a job so you can feed your family between fight's.

Until the UFC decides to give there contract fighters a yearly salary it's no different then Bellator.

he actually was struggeling right before the Aoki fight

The last couple of months for me have been rough,"Alvarez told Ariel Helwani on Monday's The MMA Hour. "I have three kids and a wife at home and financially I've been struggling a little bit, to be honest with you. I had to make so many changes since the Chandler fight. They were necessary changes, but they were a lot to deal with. I left my home, I left my kids, I left my wife to move to south Florida and sleep on my friend's couch just so I can train properly and focus properly and make sure I win this fight

Don't give the UFC any ideas about yearly salary. Fighters already pull out of fights when they only get paid when they fight.

Read the contract before you sign, that's all i can say.. He probably signed some really deep shit that he can't get out of.

Read the contract before you sign, that's all i can say.. He probably signed some really deep shit that he can't get out of.

read the thread before you post Bellator has the right to match offers it's in every fighters contract it could happen to anybody

113.png

http://www.bjpenn.com/eddie-alvarez-losing-his-cool-over-ufc-bellatory-negotations-mma-news/

I guess Dana wasn't kidding when he said it's gonna get ugly..
I dont understand. What does he mean its not up to him? Is he forced to sign with Bellator again if they can match the UFC offer? I was under the impression the UFC makes an offer and Bellator can match but ultimately Eddie gets to choose.

I dont understand. What does he mean its not up to him? Is he forced to sign with Bellator again if they can match the UFC offer? I was under the impression the UFC makes an offer and Bellator can match but ultimately Eddie gets to choose.

If the org you're with matches the offer you have to stay with that org. Or at least that's the way it works in other sports they call guys like Eddie restricted free agents

The Alvarez case is very special, he could be a pretty decent LW in the UFC but Dana can't throw money at him to have him, he's not an immediate contender like Melendez or Nick Diaz or Jake Shields were.

For me, he could get beaten up by Miller, Maynard, Pettis and he's no way near Henderson or Diaz level.

But I know that this guy deserved alot more money for the career he's had and I hope that Dana will buy him out and give him a shit load of money just to piss Bjorn Rebney.

didn't Dana already say that Eddie was going back to Bellator??? I swear I saw something on Fight Network's ticker, or twitter...?

either way, there will be no shortage of interesting fights for him, and who doesn't want to see a rematch with Chandler? The only reason that fight wasn't talked about more was because it was overshadowed by Hendo-Shogun from the night before/after (I forget which was which day that weekend).

If the org you're with matches the offer you have to stay with that org. Or at least that's the way it works in other sports they call guys like Eddie restricted free agents

Can the UFC re-raise or is it a one and done type of scenario?

Back