Eddie Alvarez being sued

Eddie isn't even worth all this noise imo

And there's the truth that's getting lost in all this mess. I'm no Zuffa/Dana hater, but this honestly just feels like they're trying to buy him simply to keep Bellator from having him.

Almost the same strategy used by the UFC to Randy back when he wanted to fight Fedor in Affliction.

Bellator will just drag this on and on to prevent Alvarez from making it to the big leagues. I doubt if they care at all whether they lose him or not. They just want to give him problems.

Then when he comes to the UFC, with all the problems he went through, he might just lose.

Almost the same, yet totally different. Randy had fights remaining on a valid UFC contract. You can't "retire" to get out a contract and then go fight somewhere else. :rolleyes:

...and a contract he eagerly signed. Let's not break out the violins for Eddie just yet

See, here's the problem. Eddie's not upset because he wants to leave Bellator and go to the UFC, he's upset because Bellator's trying to screw him out of money. He seems like he's saying he'd be happy to fight for either org and that he'll go to whoever makes the best offer.

He's saying the UFC made an offer that's better than the contract Bellator offered as a "match." If Bellator's offer did honestly come to as close a match of the UFC's offer as possible, I don't think he'd have a problem. But according to him, it's not a match so he refused to sign it. That's the problem - not that he can't leave, but that they're sticking him on pay.

Or so I think.

Rand had fights left on his contract didnt he? Wasnt he trying to retire to get out of the contract so he could fight Fedor?

Thats not exactly the same thing as this.

It's not. Not at all. I was just responding to the guy who suggested that Bellator sues its fighters and the UFC doesn't.

Bellator is funny.

Im all for the growth of MMA. I dont want UFC to be the only big show out there, but ive never been able to get into Bellator.

i cant get into the whole tournament format. bellator know that the ufc will now destroy them while taking their decent fighters and leaving them with the scraps.

So Bellator literally sue their fighters, but the UFC are supposed to be the bad guys?

Pro tip: Neither are " bad guys. " They're both doing what is best for their company. The UFC would sue a fighter to if it was best for their company.

I don't know. There seemed to be a dumber than usual influx of white belts last December. It was like TUF all over again.

Probably a bunch of kids on Christmas break from school with nothing better to do.

Bellator may have something in the original matching clause within the contract with Eddie that states they only have to match offers "within reasonable terms to base pay or salary" so on and so forth, determining any PPV revenue or additional monies beyond that salary as having no measurable proven value. Since the UFC can't say they guarantee any PPV pay since Eddie may not be on a PPV or since the amount paid cannot be set ahead of time, so maybe bonuses don't count and Eddie and his lawyer are hoping the other way.

If they had some smart people and lawyers writing up this contract and reviewing it then the clause should cover this kind of situation. I believe Bellator got the template fighter contracts from Zuffa so it may be covered. If this is the case, Eddie is going back to Bellator unless there is a wait out period (like 1 year) that was mentioned.

Last edited:
Pro tip: Neither are " bad guys. " They're both doing what is best for their company. The UFC would sue a fighter to if it was best for their company.

Bellator are just being ungracious in losing Alvarez, they didn't match the offer that the UFC put on the table and instead of bowing out, they're suing the man that helped make their company.

Almost the same strategy used by the UFC to Randy back when he wanted to fight Fedor in Affliction.

Bellator will just drag this on and on to prevent Alvarez from making it to the big leagues. I doubt if they care at all whether they lose him or not. They just want to give him problems.

Then when he comes to the UFC, with all the problems he went through, he might just lose.

This pretty much. Sad...

It's not. Not at all. I was just responding to the guy who suggested that Bellator sues its fighters and the UFC doesn't.

If Bellator actually had a reason to sue Alvarez, then fair enough. They're just suing him to make the whole process as ugly as possible.

Bellator is funny.

Im all for the growth of MMA. I dont want UFC to be the only big show out there, but ive never been able to get into Bellator.

the one awsome thing about having one big show around is that we know who is the best at each weight, back when pride and ufc were around it was guessed who was the best in mma, now we know who is the best.

Bellator are just being ungracious in losing Alvarez, they didn't match the offer that the UFC put on the table and instead of bowing out, they're suing the man that helped make their company.

No, they're trying to keep one of their biggest stars through legal means. If you don't think the UFC would do the same thing you cray cray.

No, they're trying to keep one of their biggest stars through legal means. If you don't think the UFC would do the same thing you cray cray.

To be technical, the UFC only sued fighters were still under contract (Couture, BJ Penn.)

When other fighters whose contracts were up and wanted to seek employment elsewhere (Werdum, Arlovski, Sylvia, Henderson), they let them.

If they had some smart people and lawyers writing up this contract and reviewing it then the clause should cover this kind of situation. I believe Bellator got the template fighter contracts from Zuffa so it may be covered. If this is the case, Eddie is going back to Bellator unless there is a wait out period (like 1 year) that was mentioned.

It depends even if bellator doesn't have to match cause the contract says so a judge might not consider that legal.

Back