1. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

Economical Look At the ESPN+ Model Vs Old Model

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by Zebra Cheeks, Jan 19, 2020.

1. Zebra Cheeks 2 Cheeks And A Soda Staff Member Senior Moderator

So one of the previous ways fighter would make a lot of money was PPV points. They’d get a split of the profits and that was the only real source of income for the UFC, besides live gate.

Now, it seems that (from my understanding, espn pays the ufc or content on their main channel, and the UFC is likely getting some form of compensation for streaming service purchases (aka ESPN+). So what’s happened is the UFC has diverted their profits from a model that used to share the base of their income with fighters, to a new model, where there’s almost no real way for fighters to get significant bumps in $$ for selling the card, as PPV sales are widely thought to be much lower in the ESPN+ era. I don’t believe the UFC is doing worse, I think they’ve just found ways to divert their profit.

At the same time, I’m sure that fighters aren’t being compensated for the lost profit from PPV points. Just another way for Dana to snake fighters out of a pay day.

2. SKYNET Infrared Belt Platinum Member

damn, that is not a good sign. All the pomp and circumstance of that event last night, flaunting of celebrity and wealth, meanwhile the gladiators that fuel the fires are getting shafted