EBI 4 Discussion Thread

No hate on Cummings, but he's definitely the epitome of sport BJJ.

Does he ever attempt a takedown?

Besides EBI and that portland in-house tourney I haven't seen Cummings grapple.
I need to watch his ADCC matches but here's adcc rules:

Penalties (Negative Points):

He is the epitome? The one doing heel hooks nonstop is the epitome of IBJJF athletes?

The Miyaos are the epitome, if anyone is.

He is the epitome? The one doing heel hooks nonstop is the epitome of IBJJF athletes?

I think when people say sport bjj, they are referring to competition grappling as opposed to self defense.

He's been working on his wrestling a lot. Specifically because of ADCC. With that said, he's playing to his strengths and finishing people.

Im also curious as to your definition of sport bjj.

I think when people say sport bjj, they are referring to competition grappling as opposed to self defense.

I really hate the term self-defense, mostly the mcdojo cats uses that term. I rather call it street fighting situation.

It's a sport jiu jitsu vs lame jiu jitsu split.
The sport jiu jitsu want to win matches and the lame jiu jitsu guys want to avoid getting tapped in the gym (see Ryron vs Galvao match and the looser bullshit spewed after that).
Eddie Cummins is a sport jiu jitsu practitioner as he's goal is to heel hook people rather then preserve his ego in the gym.

It's a sport jiu jitsu vs lame jiu jitsu split.
The sport jiu jitsu want to win matches and the lame jiu jitsu guys want to avoid getting tapped in the gym (see Ryron vs Galvao match and the looser bullshit spewed after that).
Eddie Cummins is a sport jiu jitsu practitioner as he's goal is to heel hook people rather then preserve his ego in the gym.

I don't think of Cummings as a sport style player at all. He's a guy who constantly hunts the submission. He's not content to just gain an advantage and hold it. He's always looking for a way to submit his opponent.

People criticizing him because he pulls butterfly guard is absurb. Because of his leg attacks, he may have the most intimidating guard in Nogi grappling. Yeah, but let's criticize him because he doesn't try to shoot a double leg.

Polaris cummings interview:
Your game is geared towards submission and your game really starts at your guard. What lead to you becoming a guard puller?

When I was a white belt, like all white belts, I watched the Eddie Bravo documentary detailing his quest to ADCC, read his books and all that. I admit it, I read all the 10th Planet books. And he actually did make a really good point about pulling half guard. In tournaments you look to pull half guard just to get the jiu jitsu going right away. And you

I don't think of Cummings as a sport style player at all.

Does Cummings plan to get into mma? He seems smart enough not to get into a street fights so I don't think he cares much about self defense.

I don't think of Cummings as a sport style player at all. He's a guy who constantly hunts the submission. He's not content to just gain an advantage and hold it. He's always looking for a way to submit his opponent.

People criticizing him because he pulls butterfly guard is absurb. Because of his leg attacks, he may have the most intimidating guard in Nogi grappling. Yeah, but let's criticize him because he doesn't try to shoot a double leg.

when did sport jiu jitsu become equivalent with victories by an advantage and stalling?

why do people always say that shit? the best guys in the sport are killing everyone with finishes.

This might help answer your questions on his guard pulling. Here's him speaking on guard pulling to his guard and heel hook game, from an interview here: http://www.flograppling.com/article/32871-on-guard-eddie-cummings-talks-grappling-philosophy

Q: Your game is geared towards submission and your game really starts at your guard. What lead to you becoming a guard puller?

A: When I was a white belt, like all white belts, I watched the Eddie Bravo documentary detailing his quest to ADCC, read his books and all that. I admit it, I read all the 10th Planet books. And he actually did make a really good point about pulling half guard. In tournaments you look to pull half guard just to get the jiu jitsu going right away. And you’ll see this in tournaments time and time again guys circle each other for six minutes. It’s not even good wrestling, and people are always saying ‘we need to see more wrestling, we want to see wrestling’. I love wrestling, it is a beautiful sport to watch, but their stalling calls are so much more aggressive than they are in jiu jitsu. And jiu jitsu people circle each other and stall, sometimes for a whole match on the feet. I just want to get the jiu jitsu going in the most efficient way possible. And I actually think the guard player has a disadvantage but I’m willing to take that bottom position. I’ll take that disadvantage to get some jiu jitsu going; let’s grapple, let’s engage. And just prefer to spend the tournament time doing that rather than circling against people trying to look active but who aren’t actually being active. If we instituted very strong stalling calls on the feet as well, I think the art would change a lot for the better. I think it would be really interesting to see people be forced to engage on the feet, but once I sit down it forces my opponent to come and engage in some way. I can scoot towards them and chase them around the mat and it's clear who is stalling there. As opposed if we are both on the feet with neutral ties, you can really stall someone out for a while. So that is why I like playing guard more than anything else.

Q: What drew you to the butterfly, shin-on-shin, and other sitting guards?

A: Honestly I didn’t play butterfly guard until I came to Renzo’s. My first instructor was certainly an advocate of butterfly guard and open guard in general, but I was actually a fun of De La Riva and Knee Shield Guard initially when I came to Renzo’s, however when you walk into a room full of people attacking your legs you learn quickly that this a recipe for disaster. And being a smaller guy I couldn’t really stop anyone’s leg entrances from those positions on me. So it forced me to adapt a more conservative guard where my feet are on the inside of their legs to prevent them from easily attacking my feet, and it evolved from there.

Q: Now you have a well-rounded game, but why did leg locks become the centerpiece of your offense?

A: The first off leg locks, the heel hook in particular, is the strongest joint lock we have. In the sense that allows me to apply maximum breaking leverage to the weakest joint, relative to the other joints we know joint locks for. For instance an armbar, I’m bridging and yes I’m applying that to the elbow but I’m not applying it to one or two elbow ligaments in a twisting fashion, I’m applying it in a straight fashion. The elbow is a lot more resistant there. And it also scales in size, you get a really big guy, his arm and ligaments there are going to scale appropriately, where a lot of the ligaments in the knee, or the ankle for that matter, do not scale with size. So [leg locks] enable the smaller person to really embody the jiu jitsu philosophy of using leverage on weak points in your opponent’s body. So I do feel like [the heel hook] is the strongest joint lock, I can apply very strong bridging forces, if it is done correctly, to weak ligaments in my opponent's body. So I think that is why I gravitate towards it more than anything else, it really embodies the beauty of jiu jitsu for me.

Back