EBI 4 Countdown

dmwalking

Sapateiro Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
[YT]CStl99-X7VI[/YT]

Anyone watch this yet? I wasn't too amped about this event until I saw this video. Eddie Cummings sounds like he's taking this pretty seriously. He also sounds like Danaher's American son.

Geo's my boy so I'm rooting for him. This is going to be a huge test for him. There are 4 adcc players in this tourney. That's a pretty big deal. It's a shame that that kid from Marcelos went with Metamoris. I would've loved to see him play in this format.

Overall, I really appreciate what Eddie Bravo and Co. are doing with sub only. Making it a spectacle makes it more viewer friendly. Putting a big pot of money is a great incentive to attract bigger names. And bringing on high level black belts makes the trophy more significant. Like you didn't get it just for beating up purple belts. You got it for fighting through real dangerous players.

I'm looking forward to this and future EBI events.

I'm buying this shit for sure.

Bravo is doing well with all this...

Last edited:
I enjoy watching Cummings.

Eddie hypin up Geo reminds me of Jonathan Pearce talking about Chaos 2

Also, is the Reversal-Baret partnership the longest running sponsorship in Jiu Jitsu?

Eddie hypin up Geo reminds me of Jonathan Pearce talking about Chaos 2

Also, is the Reversal-Baret partnership the longest running sponsorship in Jiu Jitsu?

I didn't catch that reference but I imagine Chaos 2 is related to Pearce? lol. I'm sort of a Geo apologist. I don't think he's all hype, and I think the hype that he has so far I definitely warranted. He also seems like a pretty cool dude. I'm sure if he loses at ADCC or EBI 4 people will say he was all just hype but I think he'll continue to do well and has a bright future. I'm not saying you'll say that btw. Just in general.

And Baret's been wearing it for a long ass time that's for sure.

I think it's hard for people to believe in Geo because we haven't really seen him at the big name tourney's. It's either EBI (which people understandably feel is biased) or his ADCC wins (which had no big names). So I get that people doubt him. But I think he will surprise people. And even if he doesn't win all the upcoming tourneys, in time, he will. He hasn't even been a black belt that long. Give him time. And once the IBJJF lets him play, he'll get even better.

I didn't catch that reference but I imagine Chaos 2 is related to Pearce? lol. I'm sort of a Geo apologist. I don't think he's all hype, and I think the hype that he has so far I definitely warranted. He also seems like a pretty cool dude. I'm sure if he loses at ADCC or EBI 4 people will say he was all just hype but I think he'll continue to do well and has a bright future. I'm not saying you'll say that btw. Just in general.

Ah, it's a reference to Robot Wars (British Battlebots from a decade ago).

I think so far Geo has been built up well and has achieved enough where the praise isn't unwarranted. Eddie is really good at making people interested in whatever he is talking about. EBI seem to be forming themselves around a stable of reliably exciting guys with whom the 'EBI' name will be associated with, a bit like a fairly big indie pro wrestling organisation or something. This preview package was well produced enough and had good enough pacing that I felt happy watching the whole twelve minutes, even though it was essentially reiterations of stuff we have heard before.

Ah, it's a reference to Robot Wars (British Battlebots from a decade ago).

I think so far Geo has been built up well and has achieved enough where the praise isn't unwarranted. Eddie is really good at making people interested in whatever he is talking about. EBI seem to be forming themselves around a stable of reliably exciting guys with whom the 'EBI' name will be associated with, a bit like a fairly big indie pro wrestling organisation or something. This preview package was well produced enough and had good enough pacing that I felt happy watching the whole twelve minutes, even though it was essentially reiterations of stuff we have heard before.

I agree entirely. Eddie is always very passionate about whatever he's talking about, and it's true that energy is contagious like that. I've enjoyed every EBI. They may not have as many big names as Metamoris but there hasn't been a single EBI event that I didn't enjoy pretty much top to bottom. I also like the energy, the vibe, and the kids superfights, everything. I'm definitely going to support and watch EBI 4.

Very excited for this.

I think it's hard for people to believe in Geo because we haven't really seen him at the big name tourney's. It's either EBI (which people understandably feel is biased) or his ADCC wins (which had no big names). So I get that people doubt him. But I think he will surprise people. And even if he doesn't win all the upcoming tourneys, in time, he will. He hasn't even been a black belt that long. Give him time. And once the IBJJF lets him play, he'll get even better.

Honestly, this is my gripe with 10th Planet in general. They really hype their competitors by citing tournaments but never their actual opponents. When you look up the opponents, its B level talent. Its unfair to put them on the same level as the guys that have been battling against A level talent.

Can't wait to see this.

Watching it with guys from the gym.

Honestly, this is my gripe with 10th Planet in general. They really hype their competitors by citing tournaments but never their actual opponents. When you look up the opponents, its B level talent. Its unfair to put them on the same level as the guys that have been battling against A level talent.

I don't disagree with your sentiment there. But as far as his actual opposition, his biggest win would definitely be Jeff Glover, who is an ADCC medalist and a NoGi Worlds champ. He's not a super young and healthy competitor anymore but Glover can still beat most people nogi at his weight on any given day.

I think a lot of people are giving some hype to Geo based on the potential they see. I saw Weidman vs Galvao and knew Weidman would be special. I say Jones vs Bonnar and knew called that Jones would be a champion. I'm not comparing Geo to those guys, but I do see the way he grapples and I just think that he is very good and will be successful.

I mean, other people have gotten praise for winning the ADCC Trials with all submissions. Keenan Cornelius, Jeff Glover, Ryan Hall, and Eddie Cummings all come to mind. I'm pretty sure. All of those names (besides Cummings obviously) went on to medal at the actual ADCC. So there's a pattern there of people subbing everyone at the trials going on to be successful at the event. So I do think that's a cool accomplishment.

I don't think you're being super unfair. Quality of opposition in tournaments matters. I'm just thinking out loud.

Last edited:
Back