Eating leg kicks

Deathstriker

I eat Simba and wear his skin
Reaction score
In sparring I find that I eat leg kicks sometimes (not intentional) and if it's a hard leg kick, I get stunned. Is there any exercises or things to do that allow me to eat a leg kick better besides blocking or catching the kick?

Perhaps be aware of your range a bit more. If you are more used to boxing sparring, your perceived safe zone extends much closer to your opponent, and kicks will continue to surprise you.

For immediate reduction in damage taken from kicks, experiment with maintaining your range slightly further out. Then it will be subtle back-steps that are your friend :icon_chee

Nope.

Bas recommends putting weight on the front leg with a 40' bend so the muscle is tensed and the shot scoots up the thigh. Works for me.

That and punch them straight in the face as soon as they do it. Make em pay for landing it, make it a losing proposition.

That or raise the knee into their shin.

Nope.

Bas recommends putting weight on the front leg with a 40' bend so the muscle is tensed and the shot scoots up the thigh. Works for me.

That and punch them straight in the face as soon as they do it. Make em pay for landing it, make it a losing proposition.
I'd take that all day long!
If oppo lets every leg kick land and counter punches, it means I can smash my kick with no fear of shin on shin. If I keep my head off centre when I kick, no problem.

I'd take that all day long!
If oppo lets every leg kick land and counter punches, it means I can smash my kick with no fear of shin on shin. If I keep my head off centre when I kick, no problem.

Heh yeah I ain't fought any nak muay's yet :) I will find your face off center though and one straight right from me can end it. Is it my inexperience leading me to this conclusion, a heavyweight thing or a bit of both?

As others have mentioned if you must eat the leg kick, put weight on the leg. Another easy technique to try is keeping your foot on the ground, turn your foot as if you were putting out a cigarette having your knee point outward. Basically mimic checking a kick but keeping your foot on the ground, hoping the kick hits your knee instead of the side of your thigh.

The ability to take a hit can be trained. I trade 10 kicks to the inner and outer aspect of my upper leg twice a week.

You can do it light for a couple months and slowly build up.

The mental part is to not lower your hand or move your foot during the hit. Make the target above the knee cap.

I usually am forced to recoil by the last one or two, but you shouldn't go harder than you want.

Honestly, this is kind of like asking "Is there a good way to get hit in the face?". Sure you can tuck your chin, but it would be better to work on learning to block/avoid the facepunch/leg kick.

If you have trouble recognizing them, then do some kick sparring. This will help you recognize them and practice avoiding and checking those kicks.

Heh yeah I ain't fought any nak muay's yet :) I will find your face off center though and one straight right from me can end it. Is it my inexperience leading me to this conclusion, a heavyweight thing or a bit of both?

Maybe you have thighs of steel?
Personally I think 3 good leg kicks, no shin pads and no fear of the check, I'm giving anybody a limp. Also if I've turned my shoulder properly, head off center and twisted my body, your not going to find my chin ;)

Seriously though, if you don't check a leg kick it just encourage them to be thrown harder. Bracing and counter punching should be if you mess up the check or you spot your oppo is standing straight up when he kicks.

Maybe you have thighs of steel?
Personally I think 3 good leg kicks, no shin pads and no fear of the check, I'm giving anybody a limp. Also if I've turned my shoulder properly, head off center and twisted my body, your not going to find my chin ;)

Seriously though, if you don't check a leg kick it just encourage them to be thrown harder. Bracing and counter punching should be if you mess up the check or you spot your oppo is standing straight up when he kicks.

In complete agreement with you there. Any good counter punches I have seen off low kicks have been a result of the kickers poor defence or really good preemptive counter striking where they jammed the kick and punched before the kick is even half done.

If you hide your chin properly behind your shoulder and angle off then you really don't have much to worry about in terms of a reactive counter punch attempt. It's different if they know where your head is going to be and they can move into a position to hit you properly but if that's the case then you lost before you even threw your kick anyway.

Thanks guys, looks like I either have to block it or condition my legs to take hits.

Frode, they have shin pads on and obviously you can't do it more than a couple of times but if you don't do it when sparring it ain't gonna be a weapon in a fight.

NAKMUAY18, I do have thighs of steel but yeah 3 inside leg kicks no pads and I'm avoiding them from then on.

TBH I dont have enough experience in the ring with low kicks to be a good judge so I bow to your wisdom. The people I've fought k1 have been less than excellent kickers doing the leg equivalent of arm punching.

I'm fighting a dude this Sat who may be better so we'll see if I learn.

Learn to check. Sorry to be harsh, but you've got to Learn to block and defend strikes, that's half of sparring right there.

If you get good at checking kicks then you won't have to check kicks anymore because checks HURT. It's circular, yay.

Back