Eating and College

carlsonbjj

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I am in college now and am on a meal plan, which means that I have to eat in the cafeteria and am not technically allowed to take much with me other than an apple. I have recently started to take food with me because I can only eat there 2 times a day. Usually I stick a chicken wrap in my back pack or make a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. I have some protein powder in my room which I take with milk. I am losing some weight from not eating at will so I have to start taking a fair amount of food back to my dorm. Any suggestions or creative ideas?

what meal are you missing out on? breakfast?

you get 3 meals a day right? stuff your lil face for those 3 meals. i'd kill to have good food like that. once you get into the real world you have to make your own

I usually get by myself on just 2 large meals a day with some (not always) snacking in between. Its a buffet so just load up on meats and greens. You have the right idea by smuggling food out, but Id advise you to stock your dorm with some snack foods that you can buy at the grocery like peanut butter, almonds, baby carrots, milk, yogurt etc.

I try to cook everything myself and get by on 15 bucks a week worth of food, breakfast, lunch and dinner

I try to cook everything myself and get by on 15 bucks a week worth of food, breakfast, lunch and dinner

Wow. Is food really that much cheaper in the US?

I struggle to bulk on less than

I used to take tupperware in my back pack and fill shit up with food from the cafeteria in college.

Most colleges I have been to offered a to go box. I would often choose this over eating in the cafe because I could fill it full of whatever and leave the cafe and eat it all or save the left overs etc. Do this 2-3x a day and you can have a solid amount of food.

If that is not an option either eat more in the cafe or get creative and find ways to sneak it out.

I went to a college with a similar cafeteria system. Why the heck are you unable to get your 3rd meal? Are you on a cheaper meal plan (i.e. you DON'T get 3 meals/day) or are you so unbelievably busy you can't squeeze the 3rd meal in?

See if your university has a to-go dining hall (URI had 2) if not, figure out why you can't fit that 3rd meal in. You most likely have a 2-3 hour window for meals. If your class schedule is like 10-4 then I guess you're screwed, but that's a fail at scheduling on your part if that's the case*.

Another option, buy a jar of peanut butter (a big ass jar of skippy is TOPS 5 bucks) a jar of Jelly (or go advanced and get flavored peanut butter) and a loaf of bread (GOOD bread is 5 bucks a loaf) and behold over a week's worth of snacks to help you get through your day.

If you're slightly better off snacks that store well:
Jerky
Canned Fish
Peanut Butter
Nuts
Seeds
Dried Fruits

But honestly, my gut feeling is that you need to find a crack in your schedule and get that 3rd meal in, if for no other reason than you're PAYING for it and not using it and that is lame.

*disclaimer - I worked 20 hours a week (6-10pm EVERY M-F), handled a full course load (16-20 credits/sem), worked out everyday, founded and managed a club, held down a social life and graduated summa cum laude in applied mathematics so I feel like I've got a decent grasp at how to manage a schedule while in college.

I know exactly where you're coming from. Freshman year of college last year was near impossible for me to gain weight. Not only was there an issue of not having enough time to get 3 meals in per day (work/class from 8-5), they also do not let you take out food here. To make matters worse, the food in the cafeteria was not good at all. Unless I wanted to only eat salads for every meal every day, everything else was wayyyy too fatty, greasy, and just plain unhealthy. I had worse stomach pains eating there than when I attempted the gallon of milk a day plan for the first time.

Then you have the wrong food choices my friend...

I'm always open to criticism on my diet, but it's basically:

Beef (burgers, mince)
Chicken (breast)
Tuna
Salmon (tinned)
Spinach
Sweet potatoes
Bell Peppers/tomatoes
Pasta
Brown rice
Wholemeal pitta (or similar)
Milk
Eggs
Peanut butter

Then creatine, whey, fish oil, multivit.

Eating this kinda food 3/4 times a day in the UK is

You shouldn't have any problem then as long as your quantity is enough.

Mind breaking that down for me? I almost eat that in chicken every week.

I usually go to bulk food store so food is a lot cheaper, a 3 pound bag of chicken breasts is about 5 bucks, 2 lbs of oatmeal is about a dollar, 18 ct carton of eggs is around 2, turkey ham about 2 dollars, bread 1 dollar, then about 3 or 4 dollars worth of fruits and veggies

its nothing extravagant, but I get by

I usually go to bulk food store so food is a lot cheaper, a 3 pound bag of chicken breasts is about 5 bucks, 2 lbs of oatmeal is about a dollar, 18 ct carton of eggs is around 2, turkey ham about 2 dollars, bread 1 dollar, then about 3 or 4 dollars worth of fruits and veggies

You have to remember if he's living in a dorm room he only has a mini fridge and probably shares it with a roommate

So that's one day out of the way, what about the rest of the week???

I am in college now and am on a meal plan, which means that I have to eat in the cafeteria and am not technically allowed to take much with me other than an apple. I have recently started to take food with me because I can only eat there 2 times a day. Usually I stick a chicken wrap in my back pack or make a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. I have some protein powder in my room which I take with milk. I am losing some weight from not eating at will so I have to start taking a fair amount of food back to my dorm. Any suggestions or creative ideas?

Bring your backpack at lunch, bring a few tupperware containers, stuff food in the tupperware containers when nobody is looking, and place them in your backpack. Unload at your dorm, put the food in your fridge, and repeat at dinner for nighttime snacks. I've been doing it for 2 years, and nothing bad has happened to me.

Bring your backpack at lunch, bring a few tupperware containers, stuff food in the tupperware containers when nobody is looking, and place them in your backpack. Unload at your dorm, put the food in your fridge, and repeat at dinner for nighttime snacks. I've been doing it for 2 years, and nothing bad has happened to me.

i only have 1 meal a day at the dining hall and i do this. i get a tupperware with like 4 chicken breasts, and another tupperware with like 3 turkey wraps. That feeds me for the whole day. The school makes you pay ridiculous tuition and then they rip you off at the dining hall to the tune of $15 a meal.. so you shouldn't feel bad at all.

Back