Earning a Belt....

Where did they fly in from?

Also, bit of a douche move from your instructor. So he has affiliate schools, and people are forced to travel, and spend lots of extra money simply to get 'promoted' by your man. Then he doesn't promote them because they enjoyed their holiday a bit too much? So what if they didn't turn up to both privates? They guy probably got pressured into staying out on what might be his only holiday for a long time? He went to the first one, so might not have thought it's a big deal. Obviously showing up hungover is another matter, and disrespectful.

As for the skill testing, obviously its hard to promote someone you never actually trained with, so a skill test may seem like a good gauge, but because he got tapped? So what? Maybe the other people had more experience, stronger, or just better skilled than him. Does that mean they deserve a blue belt more than him? I don't. If the guy put in his dues, and then your instructor gave the impression he would promote him if he was ready, then expect the guy to travel all that way under the impression he was getting a promotion (which to me is a terrible way of promoting, as things like this shit happen), this impression given by your instructor should have also stated that he be better not get tapped, or have some fun on his trip and miss a lesson or two.

But if he was a complete dick head to you and your club then disregard that, but still a rejection after money like that has been spent under a certain impression given is not smart. If he just came over on a whim, for fun, no biggie. But if your club and his arranged a belt promotion, of course he will expect one. Hopefully the guy can find instruction where he lives.

I'm there every day and every night at this club and only saw them do two privates and one lesson, they weren't "forced" to travel down, they chose to. If they flew down for the soul purpose for the guy to be graded, they should have dedicated more time to training(the purple belt who came with the white belt couldn't even take down a white belt while we were throwing). They were here for a week and hardly showed up, now don't you think that is disrespectful to our instructor if some guys fly down to the main affiliate to be graded, doesn't bother training with the team and don't do anything else except get drunk and treat it as a luxury holiday instead of a great chance to train with a whole heap of awesome people and an amazing instructor and still expect to be graded even though he showed he is not blue belt material? I didn't see the ring of death and I have seen him roll but from what many of told me the guy was a rag doll and not ready for his blue belt at all

What would you rather; become a blue belt due to skill, or become a blue belt because you spent money? If my instructor handed him his blue belt that would be selling out and spitting on the art itself, you do not give up morals and turn yourself into a McDojo because someone spent money on there own accord to visit you and expect to be graded even if you prove that you are not ready for your blue belt. I look up highly to my instructor and if he graded him after proving he wasn't ready I would have been truly disappointed

My instructor did the right thing by not giving him his blue, he certainly wasn't ready and just because he decided to fly down to get his blue that does not warrant the belt itself, canceling an affiliation due to this just shows how disloyal they really were, I am glad they are gone.

What would you rather; become a blue belt due to skill, or become a blue belt because you spent money? If my instructor handed him his blue belt that would be selling out and spitting on the art itself, you do not give up morals and turn yourself into a McDojo because someone spent money on there own accord to visit you and expect to be graded even if you prove that you are not ready for your blue belt. I look up highly to my instructor and if he graded him after proving he wasn't ready I would have been truly disappointed

agreed.

sure it sucks to spend all that money to travel, but the fact that they canceled their affiliation truly shows their character. sure, some purple belts can make fairly accurate judgments on a student's progress, but now he is flat out refusing to accept the judgment of an experienced black belt. i can only assume the purple belt would do the same thing at his next affiliation if he himself doesn't get graded when he feels like he deserves his next belt.

Sounds like your instructor did the right thing.

If they were more worried about going out drinking that they missed training, then obviously they weren't really concerned about earning the belt as much as they were concerned with buying it.

Thankfully, your instructor has integrity and doesn't sell belts.

I think your instructor did the right thing.

lechien, why do you think that it was an unfair way for this guy to earn his belt? don't you think a blue belt should be able to bet blue belts or at least survive without getting tapped for 5min against a whitebelt..?

oh and i sh9ould mention that occasionally even if the guy loses his match for grading, but puts up a tough fight or shows something special over 2-3 matches he'll get belted anyway...

The only problem with this is that styles make fights. If you are matched up against someone who is really good at back control and thats not your strong point but the rest of your game is top notch you'll loose in a roll. So you wont be able to show anything "special". Its just like when I roll against some guys at the Academy, some give me a hard time but that same guy gets killed by a guy that I can kill. Its all about styles, body types and what you are good, better and great at vs the other guy. Sometimes your strengths play into their weaknesses and sometimes its the other way around.

Thats why its always better to train with the guy thats promoting you and not far away.

if he was given a black belt would he instantly have been better?

id rather be a good white belt than an undeserving blue belt (not saying your friend is either)

he could have won both of those matches and STILL not have gotten his blue belt. and he should have been happy about it.

if ur graded at a certain level then youre at that level. dont be mad at the instructors for not giving you the belt, be mad at yourself for not being at that standard.

maybe u should tell them to find their weakest points and improve them.

lechien, why do you think that it was an unfair way for this guy to earn his belt? don't you think a blue belt should be able to bet blue belts or at least survive without getting tapped for 5min against a whitebelt..?

oh and i sh9ould mention that occasionally even if the guy loses his match for grading, but puts up a tough fight or shows something special over 2-3 matches he'll get belted anyway...

There is no way for this white belt (training by himself in his little affiliate program) to win or even "survive" against your blue belt. Such topic has been covered in the Gracie online program.

There is no miracle in JJ, you just cannot expect some guys training in his garage to defeat a blue belt.

I am against such type of affiliation system anyway.

Well, it does not matter anyway. I already guess who they are going to affiliate next anyway.

The only problem with this is that styles make fights. If you are matched up against someone who is really good at back control and thats not your strong point but the rest of your game is top notch you'll loose in a roll. So you wont be able to show anything "special". Its just like when I roll against some guys at the Academy, some give me a hard time but that same guy gets killed by a guy that I can kill. Its all about styles, body types and what you are good, better and great at vs the other guy. Sometimes your strengths play into their weaknesses and sometimes its the other way around.

Thats why its always better to train with the guy thats promoting you and not far away.

well said.

There is no way for this white belt (training by himself in his little affiliate program) to win or even "survive" against your blue belt. Such topic has been covered in the Gracie online program.

There is no miracle in JJ, you just cannot expect some guys training in his garage to defeat a blue belt.

I am against such type of affiliation system anyway.

Well, it does not matter anyway. I already guess who they are going to affiliate next anyway.

sorry i should have mentioned this club already has several blues & 2 (i think, at least 1 I am sure) purples

So the leader rang Rob and told him that his club is no longer affiliated after his white belt "missed" on the promotion.

This is strange.

they apparently clearly said they thought that he deserved it after spending so much money to fly over and train :rolleyes:

they apparently clearly said they thought that he deserved it after spending so much money to fly over and train :rolleyes:

rule number 1: never ever query anything regarding promotion such as belt or even a stripe to your instructor.

You break rule 1 and you are OUT!

So the leader rang Rob and told him that his club is no longer affiliated after his white belt "missed" on the promotion.

This is strange.

so a purple belt is arguing with a black belt over a white belt?

its pretty black and white to me

and now that the purple belt has cut the ties is he still a 'xxxx xxxx purple' or what?

did he get his purple from the black belt?

why would you argue with the decision lol

Back