Earnie Shavers passed away

It wasn't quite as close as it was said to be at the time. I watched it a few years ago and thought Holmes won it clearly. People were clamoring for Larry to lose because they didn't like him. He also had a gift decision against Carl Williams. That era got roasted by the press at the time but the truth is, there were a lot of talented guys running around who just couldn't manage to get their shit together long enough to win more than a couple big fights.
I think most people see Holmes as edging Witherspoon, based on his early lead and the fact that Witherspoon blew a couple of the later rounds. But either way, it was an epic fight that is really a credit to both men.

I think most people see Holmes as edging Witherspoon, based on his early lead and the fact that Witherspoon blew a couple of the later rounds. But either way, it was an epic fight that is really a credit to both men.

the press was screaming that Holmes was old, even his own men were saying he lost something. Who the hell knew he'd fight for another 20 years and not do too bad. In watching it recently, I thought it was a clear Holmes win, I don't think it was even as close as the Williams fight which was another that people said he got robbed in. People didn't like larry, i have to reiterate, and they wanted to see him lose, i was in that group. What a great fighter though.

the press was screaming that Holmes was old, even his own men were saying he lost something. Who the hell knew he'd fight for another 20 years and not do too bad. In watching it recently, I thought it was a clear Holmes win, I don't think it was even as close as the Williams fight which was another that people said he got robbed in. People didn't like larry, i have to reiterate, and they wanted to see him lose, i was in that group. What a great fighter though.
I definitely agree that Holmes won, but it was a terrific performance from both men.

i think some people are getting a bit rose tinted here, the comeback Foreman was garbage, he lost to a novice at the weight Holyfield, he got outboxed by Moorer and Morrison(hardly championship boxers) and he should have lost to Schultz(up there with one of the worst decisions ive seen).

Lennox Lewis would have absolutely battered him, and Foreman knew this
I don't think you're giving him enough credit. Moorer was a beast, an extremely talented fighter and one of the best things to come out of the Kronk gym. And Morrison was very, very good himself and he fought a smart, disciplined fight against George. As far as Holyfield, even at cruiserweight, people were talking about him as the next big challenge to Tyson. Giving a great fight to a guy who was already an undisputed cruiserweight and heavyweight champion seems to me an undeniably impressive feat by George. And the fact that George hurt Holyfield but was never hurt himself, even when Holyfield landed something like 20 or so consecutive punches to him, says a lot. Foreman had his limitations in his comeback, but he also had incredible strengths.

I don't think you're giving him enough credit. Moorer was a beast, an extremely talented fighter and one of the best things to come out of the Kronk gym. And Morrison was very, very good himself and he fought a smart, disciplined fight against George. As far as Holyfield, even at cruiserweight, people were talking about him as the next big challenge to Tyson. Giving a great fight to a guy who was already an undisputed cruiserweight and heavyweight champion seems to me an undeniably impressive feat by George. And the fact that George hurt Holyfield but was never hurt himself, even when Holyfield landed something like 20 or so consecutive punches to him, says a lot. Foreman had his limitations in his comeback, but he also had incredible strengths.

the Holyfield fight George was in every single round, he was just not as active (the main problem with older fighters) as Holyfield was. Holy still claims that George hit him the hardest while he says qawi gave him his toughest fight. When asked about Tyson, he says that Tyson really didn't catch him that cleanly. It's true, Tyson mighta had Holyfield in a bit of trouble once or twice but the kinds of punches he was used to landing against big, stiff, immobile guys wasn't going to land on Holyfield the same way.

I definitely agree that Holmes won, but it was a terrific performance from both men.
Those types of decision fights are the reason they say you have to really beat a long time champion, Ali had a few, Joe Louis had Walcott. It's probably less true in modern times but if you're trying to earn a title you have to do a lot more than what's being done to you. It's one problem I always had with the Hagler Leonard fight, which was close, but Hagler was the longtime champ, he should have kept his title if we're going with protocol.

Don't know if you guys are aware, but Shavers put out an autobiography about 20 years ago. Guy was always working an angle, but in a good way. Really interesting read and insight into the boxing world of the 70's and 80's.

s-l1600.jpg

Don't know if you guys are aware, but Shavers put out an autobiography about 20 years ago. Guy was always working an angle, but in a good way. Really interesting read and insight into the boxing world of the 70's and 80's.

s-l1600.jpg
Read the intro years ago, great intro. Doesnt seem that long ago.

Back