Earnie Shavers passed away

He never got the credit for being old and boxing at a very high level. He beat Ray Mercer when he was in his 40s. Foreman in comparison was gifted a very soft run to a title shot against a blowed up cruiserweight and got very lucky.

Holmes to me is one of the most gifted heavyweights ever. He was very talented and fundamentally strong. In my opinion, he was better than any version of Ali, particularly the Ali that came back after his suspension. He got a lot of shit for a saying Marcino couldn't hold his jock but honestly, Holmes would have shut out Marcino without breaking a sweat. It wouldn't even be remotely close. You would have 12 rounds of Marcino flailing to try to land something and never ever being able to get anything going. .

George wasn't gifted anything... Moorer was coming off a win over Holyfield, he was the legit champion.
George was also willing to fight anyone... Fought Holyfield and would have taken chances on Tyson, Bowe and Lennox as well.

Arguably defeated Shannon Briggs at the age of 48.

Larry was not a popular champion and he always had his foot in his mouth. Him being mouthy and dissing the fans of Marciano ("couldn't carry my jockstrap") pissing off judges ("they go out and get drunk" before fights) and my personal reason, beating a shopworn Ali managed to make him a champion people hated.

I recall with lots of amusement how I'd sit with my stepdad and just hope like hell one of the Witherspoons or the Bonecrushcers or the David Bey's would beat his ass. My stepdad knew this and would rub it in when Holmes knocked his man out yet again, my stepdad would get up off the couch, clap loudly and say, "alright larry Holmes!" and then he'd grab my shoulder and say, "see, I told you he'd win!" I hated Holmes and the Spinks losses weren't punishing enough for my taste. Only the Tyson destruction would do for me.

How close was Witherspoon vs Holmes? I recall it being tight, but it's been so long. What was your take?

How close was Witherspoon vs Holmes? I recall it being tight, but it's been so long. What was your take?

It wasn't quite as close as it was said to be at the time. I watched it a few years ago and thought Holmes won it clearly. People were clamoring for Larry to lose because they didn't like him. He also had a gift decision against Carl Williams. That era got roasted by the press at the time but the truth is, there were a lot of talented guys running around who just couldn't manage to get their shit together long enough to win more than a couple big fights.

Stable diffusion has no censors so it is pretty off the hook.

https://booru.plus/+stablediffusion/photorealistic?c=azausmzqvyy8&o=top#pb96c94

+stablediffusion11353

+stablediffusion11353

Shavers was a monster in the ring and one of the nicest people outside. The fact holmes got up from that punch is so impressive on so many levels. people talk about tyson fury getting up from Wilder but fury or wilder would not have got up from that punch.

Not sure about that. If you can get up from Wilder's right hand, you can get up from any right hand.

Wow. Maybe the hardest puncher of all-time. He was one of the most fascinating subjects of discussion in boxing and a class-act with real humility. His interviews were always a joy. Rest in peace.

George wasn't gifted anything... Moorer was coming off a win over Holyfield, he was the legit champion.
George was also willing to fight anyone... Fought Holyfield and would have taken chances on Tyson, Bowe and Lennox as well.

Foreman was gifted a title shot against a guy who barely scraped by an injured Holyfield.

Plus, Foreman is on record saying he didnt want anything to do with Lennox Lewis, Lewis would have fucking murdered him

Foreman was gifted a title shot against a guy who barely scraped by an injured Holyfield.

Plus, Foreman is on record saying he didnt want anything to do with Lennox Lewis, Lewis would have fucking murdered him

So you think George wouldn't have taken a chance on Lennox Lewis if they had given him the decision over Shannon Briggs?

"No thanks, I just wanted to fight the up and comer Shannon Briggs, but I'll pass up the opportunity to win the heavyweight championship against Lennox Lewis".

George was just doing his usual humble thing. He also said that his knees were shaking when he stood in the ring with Joe Frazier, which I don't believe at all.

He's also on record saying that he didn't want any part of Mike Tyson. And certain MMA fanboy type of boxing fans
really believe that...

... Fair enough. But George sounded very different while he was still active and didn't put his humble mask on:

Last edited:
he was commentating on one of Lewis' fights and said he didnt want any part of him, i believe George Foreman before i believe you fella

this is one time he said it, he has gone into detail on one of the HBO broadcasts about not fighting Lewis

Last edited:
he was commentating on one of Lewis' fights and said he didnt want any part of him, i believe George Foreman before i believe you fella

this is one time he said it, he has gone into detail on one of the HBO broadcasts about not fighting Lewis

George said absolutely nothing in regards to himself vs. Lennox Lewis. You just hear what you want to hear.

Fact of the matter is that George was gunning for Lennox Lewis three years later with the title eliminator bout against Shannon Briggs.

Nonetheless, George's dream fight has always been Mike Tyson. That's where the most money was, and that's also where the most prestige was.

did you watch the clip, he says he would advise all heavyweights to stay well away from Lewis, to which the other guy said "you included"..his reply "YEP"

your talking shit, i'll try and find the other clip where he says he wouldnt ever fight Lewis, its on a HBO broadcast

did you watch the clip, he says he would advise all heavyweights to stay well away from Lewis, to which the other guy said "you included"..his reply "YEP"

your talking shit, i'll try and find the other clip where he says he wouldnt ever fight Lewis, its on a HBO broadcast

So you think that George advised all contenders to retire from the sport? Lol, it's called sarcasm. George wasn't being serious.

Lennox got knocked out by Oliver McCall just four months after that dead serious statement by George Foreman.

Last edited:

Arguably defeated Shannon Briggs at the age of 48.

Agree... Moorer was also undefeated, 35-0.

I tend to agree, George was just being humble when he said he wouldn’t fight Lennox. The guy was a prize fighter, he would have fought King-Kong if the money was right,

now, would it have been a good idea? I don’t think so given his age

Foreman was so far away from fighting Lewis, stop being silly.

He got a shot at one of the worst champions ever, and even then, he got a bit lucky after being outboxed for 10 rounds. And even after his win, he was totally outboxed by Shultz.

Lewis would have killed him, and he knew it. I dont know why people pretend the comback Foreman was any good, he was a media darling...and nothing else

It's so hard to tell with Big George. He says he didn't want any part of Mike Tyson in recent years, yet, I watched as he dragged himself out of retirement and called Mike Tyson out on many occasions. He likewise gave props to Joe Frazier and Kenny Norton, two guys who he completely dominated.

The one guy I'm sure he wanted no parts of was Larry Holmes who called him out but didn't really have anything to offer but a real tough fight which he'd have probably lost. Gil Clancy said that George was smarter than all of us and I think he was right. George was his own manager and he did a great job of weighing things out that would maximize what was left of his abilities.

Stylewise, a Lewis fight would have been hard. A rangy, bigger guy who could think on his feet, had some great power of his own and wouldn't slug with him.

i think some people are getting a bit rose tinted here, the comeback Foreman was garbage, he lost to a novice at the weight Holyfield, he got outboxed by Moorer and Morrison(hardly championship boxers) and he should have lost to Schultz(up there with one of the worst decisions ive seen).

Lennox Lewis would have absolutely battered him, and Foreman knew this

i think some people are getting a bit rose tinted here, the comeback Foreman was garbage, he lost to a novice at the weight Holyfield, he got outboxed by Moorer and Morrison(hardly championship boxers) and he should have lost to Schultz(up there with one of the worst decisions ive seen).

Lennox Lewis would have absolutely battered him, and Foreman knew this
he wasn't garbage but he was limited. The extra weight and his age made him a sitting duck for anyone that could halfway move. tommy Morrison did that, Schulz did it, Holyfield did it, if any of those guys just came to him they'd have had a tougher night. The reason why the Tyson fight is so intriguing today is that Mike wouldn't have done any boxing. He used angles but not in the same way a long range boxer did. At the time, like most everyone else, I thought George was a joke. His determination, his power, his jab and his intelligence got him the championship again. Moorer got lulled to sleep and then he got a ten count.

He might have won a decision over George, maybe even a wide decision. But he definitely wouldn't have murdered him. George Foreman's chin was undentable. And honestly, given Lennox's chin, he would have been in danger whenever he was within Foreman's punching range.

Back