Earnie Shavers passed away

He had a good run.

Just saw this and was really sad to hear it. I have met thousands of people in the world of boxing, and if he was not the nicest, I don't know who was/is. I had not seen him in a few years, but he used to come by the gym almost weekly and was always a great conversation. Probably the most humble person you could meet as well, and considering he might be the hardest puncher ever, that is saying something.

If I could pick 3 heavyweights from the past and bring them into today's era, Shavers would be one of them.

just saw this, super nice guy, ironic because of his power. Top fighter in the toughest era of heavyweights and very possibly the hardest puncher ever. Ali always answered differently when asked who hit him the hardest but Shavers' name would be one of the names.

The stories of Stallone wanting to give him the part of Mr. T were also pretty legendary. I've heard different versions, one with Ernie telling Sly he didn't want to hit him because he was a nice man and another where Earnie kinda hit sly with a body shot after which sly went to the toilet came out and sent Ernie on his way.

Correct me if I'm wrong but of the elite of that era, Big George is the only one left unless you count Chuvalo and Bugner. The rest are gone, Lyle, Frazier,Norton,Spinks, Young. It's a trip, I'm in my mid fifties now and those guys were fighting on tv when I was a baby.

Damn man, but at least he lived a long and fulfilling life.

RIP.

ODxZDS.gif

Back