Early UFC 182 ppv buys with source

Dana suggested that it's looking to do over 750k at the post fight press conference.

He doesn't usually speak on PPV buy estimates himself.

Yeah he will only speak of big ppv buys if he believes the numbers will be high. He won't talk about the estimate for ppv buys Mighty Mouse is the main event.

This again shows how pompous and borderline ridiculous Luke Thomas is. He makes these absolute statements and ridicules anyone who would even think about disagreeing with him. Then it turns out he is wrong. This guy needs to come down to earth. He is not the CEO of the UFC, he is an opinionist (In this case stating that anyone thinking of PPV numbers above 700.000 had to be dreaming).

Lol. Luke Thomas can have an opinion.

Besides. It's a random tweet about site traffic.

I had people texting me Saturday morning asking how they can watch the PPV.

That press conference definitely created interest.

Maybe. Or maybe they have it in their own best interests to inflate UFC numbers to appease DFW and/or keep MMA "growing" when everything points to its decline.

I dont think that was a particularly flattering number, Dana said he expected more than that

Well Dana himself said it was over 750k at the post fight presser.

No, Dana said early indicators look like it would be
It takes a few weeks to get a real estimate from cable/sat people (like Metlzer does)
Anything prior is based on calls to order (small %) & things like trends on the web & traffic to sites.
Those are indicators, but they have been way off too.
Meltzer actually SAID this ...

--Thanks to everyone, we had a great traffic day here. We did giant numbers for the UFC show. Bryan said it was the equivalent to a 750,000 buy show. Dana White said it would do that number as well but nobody really knows anything yet. Our middle of the night Tokyo Dome coverage beat any prime time PPV we have done with the exception of the biggest WWE shows in recent years and the monster UFC events. NXT also does unusually large for their live specials, but nothing like this show did.

--UFC 182 had more than 500,000 searches, which also indicates a good number, but most huge number shows hit 1 million.

He NEVER said it did that amt, just compared HIS traffic to other shows similar

No, Dana said early indicators look like it would be
It takes a few weeks to get a real estimate from cable/sat people (like Metlzer does)
Anything prior is based on calls to order (small %) & things like trends on the web & traffic to sites.
Those are indicators, but they have been way off too

Ah, fair enough.

You pulled a 750K estimate from that tweet? Web traffic counts Fightpass and ufc.com general access, or just to the PPV stream?

That tweet was moronic
Meltzer was talking about HIS website, not anything official

It also had a pretty weak undercard. This isnt boxing, people dont buy ppvs for a single fight

Besides mayweather and Anderson Silva, boxing or mma has done shitty. Either hasn't gone over a million since 2013. The ppv business is dying. Even though the wwe network is costing Vince McMahon millions he knows where the business is going. Damn I just read what I wrote, talk about bad gramar

Last edited:
750k is a bs figures

Just the same when the media give the approximate numbers

They like to add extra

"If" true that's great for the UFC. Jones has not been a great seller before and if he can draw that kind of numbers the UFC is in good shape.

"If" true that's great for the UFC. Jones has not been a great seller before and if he can draw that kind of numbers the UFC is in good shape.

True but I think it has more to do with who jones is fighting. Rivals like DC II and Gus II will do big numbers . Jones vs Phil Davis or OSP won't.

This again shows how pompous and borderline ridiculous Luke Thomas is. He makes these absolute statements and ridicules anyone who would even think about disagreeing with him. Then it turns out he is wrong. This guy needs to come down to earth. He is not the CEO of the UFC, he is an opinionist (In this case stating that anyone thinking of PPV numbers above 700.000 had to be dreaming).

I believe It did have better that 700k buys.

HOWEVER, the card was weak and it probably just turned off a bunch of potential fans.

Luke Thomas is just a barnacle on Dana's ass repeating Dana's misleading bullshit.

See this could have been a really good launching pad for 2015. Unfortunately those 750,000 purchasers tuned in to watch 4 seriously lacklustre fights before watching the main (which admittedly was very entertaining).

They could have a hooked a shedload of casuals if they'd put on four potential barnburners but it seems the UFC would rather use them to headline other cards with a load of no-names underneath.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
notnormal
Back