Early MIKE TYSON: Amazing!

Mike had all the talent in the world, but didn't have the intelligence to utilize it to his full potential.

I think you hit the nail on the head, but I also think you can add not having the support system, especially after he hooked up with Don King.

mike was easily one of the best boxers ever. put him up against any fighter in history, both in prime, and he'd have a good chance of beating them. a lot of people only see his punching power, but they don't recognize the defense he had and his ability to jab and weave to get close to an opponent.

the only problems that held mike back were his personal and legal problems. his jail sentence took a good amount of his prime and he was trouble when he got released.

Imagine a Tyson that lived the disciplined healthy lifestyle of a Bernard Hopkins...I believe he would have been the GOAT. (this assumes he has the right people around him and honed his skills rather than letting them atrophy)
Even when he was still considered in his "prime", he was doing drugs/drinking. Man still accomplished a lot just on pure talent.

mike was easily one of the best boxers ever. put him up against any fighter in history, both in prime, and he'd have a good chance of beating them. a lot of people only see his punching power, but they don't recognize the defense he had and his ability to jab and weave to get close to an opponent.

i AGREE 100%, I cant imagine any fighter in history in their prime watching his tapes preparing to fight tyson in his prime, not think "damn If I drop my hands once, the fight could be over".

Thats the thing about him in his prime, he would be so exausting to fight because you would have to fight the perfect fight, and god forbid you attempt to trade or lose track of a hook or uppercut its over. Him bobbing in you face, throwing those brutal hooks and uppercuts.

I think people could have beat him, but on the same token I cant imagine anyone could completely dismiss him in a fight, due to his explosiveness.

Back