Early indications: The One over 2 million PPV buys

Would be good to see.

It would leave me skeptical tho if it just came from a promoter, imagine Dana White talking about a huge PPV number. Nobody would believe him.

I did think it would come in around 2 million tho.

Traditionally boxing fans like to hear numbers from the promoter, journalists and the network. Whenever there's a divide in opinion it leads to a lot of arguing. There's no one source for PPV numbers, no Dave Meltzer of boxing.

I wish Rafael wasn't the main journalist at espn. He's terrible. Presumably he tweeted that he hates the WBC again today.

I wish Porky fucking Piggy wasn't the main journalist at espn. He's terrible. Presumably he tweeted that he hates the WBC again today.

i agree

Crazy m'fers in this world. 70 bucks or whatever for a single event on TV! That's a lot of buys, unholy damn.

Somebody clarify what exactly the record is ?

Somebody clarify what exactly the record is ?

It's def 2.5 million. They updated it right before the May vs Ghost PPV just a while ago. Prior to that estimates were in the 2.2 to 2.4 million range, but after a long hiatus, like literally five years, they finally came out with 2.5 million. Problem is I'm gonna have trouble finding one of the articles that said it since all mention of PPV records on google have been flooded over with articles about May vs Canelo.

Nah, I don't buy that bro. Think it did 800-850. Having a guy like Canelo and the Garcia Matthysse fight helped a lot.

Garcia/Matthyse would not have added many buys onto that number. It may have swayed a view folk who were on the fence, but for the most part it was just a meaningful undercard bout.

And Canelo most certainly didn't "add 1.4 million" onto the buy rate - the increase is down to the fact a lot of folk seen it as Floyd's most challenging fight in years; a step up from fighting someone like Guerrero.

By the way, what makes hacks like Fat Dan and Iole reliable sources of information if you believe Showtime are lying about the Mayweather/Guerrero buy rate? Rafael and Iole are hacks who have been caught out "reporting" bullshit and contradicting themselves in the past.

Schaefer is a known liar, as are most in his position.

Let's wait and see.

Wait and see....for confirmation from who? Whatever figure Showtime report will be the buy rate, there or thereabouts.
Traditionally boxing fans like to hear numbers from the promoter, journalists and the network. Whenever there's a divide in opinion it leads to a lot of arguing. There's no one source for PPV numbers, no Dave Meltzer of boxing.

Dave Meltzer isn't always reliable; I take the UFC buy rates he reports with a pinch of salt. The WWE have to disclose their PPV buy rates to shareholders these days, so in terms of PPV figures the WO/F4W isn't the go to source it once was, imo.

Last edited:
Dave Meltzer isn't always reliable; I take the UFC buy rates he reports with a pinch of salt. The WWE have to disclose their PPV buy rates to shareholders these days, so in terms of PPV figures the WO/F4W isn't the go to source it once was, imo.

Oh I didn't mean he was reliable. I just meant that's the guy people go to for UFC ppv numbers. He's not reliable at all. He has never been able to guess what a boxing PPV has done and tends to just go along with the flow of whatever boxing media are saying. He's been outright caught trying to downgrade Wrestlemania PPV numbers. Vince has been pretty adamant in the past that Meltzer doesn't know what he's doing. So how come he continually fucks up on reporting boxing and WWE numbers which have to be released publicly yet somehow gets it 100% for the UFC which are allowed keep their numbers secret?

All that and the fact when the UFC does do undeniably horrible numbers the ever impartial Meltzer takes his sweet ass time to release them. Whenever they have done under 200k buys recently Dave keeps them under wraps until another event does much higher numbers in order to lessen the damage. That's not even mentioning the fact that he has often reported international PPV buys as if they were domestic numbers.

Oh I didn't mean he was reliable. I just meant that's the guy people go to for UFC ppv numbers. He's not reliable at all. He has never been able to guess what a boxing PPV has done and tends to just go along with the flow of whatever boxing media are saying. He's been outright caught trying to downgrade Wrestlemania PPV numbers. Vince has been pretty adamant in the past that Meltzer doesn't know what he's doing. So how come he continually fucks up on reporting boxing and WWE numbers which have to be released publicly yet somehow gets it 100% for the UFC which are allowed keep their numbers secret?

All that and the fact when the UFC does do undeniably horrible numbers the ever impartial Meltzer takes his sweet ass time to release them. Whenever they have done under 200k buys recently Dave keeps them under wraps until another event does much higher numbers in order to lessen the damage. That's not even mentioning the fact that he has often reported international PPV buys as if they were domestic numbers.

Meltzer's a relic from a bygone era. When he was first handing out "star ratings" for wrestling matches and "revealing" PPV buy rates, nobody else was really doing it. He carved out a bit of a niche, and somehow it's stuck. In some respects there are negative connotations - what Dave Meltzer considers to be a "great" wrestling match is nothing like what I consider to be a great wrestling match, and there's a generation of wrestlers that grew up reading the Wrestling Observer, and seem to think those sort of ratings actually matter - but for the most part all the WO/F4W guys really report on these days are house shows, signings & departures, and the news/gossip that gets leaked to them from the locker room.

Oh, and MMA. There have been times in the past when the WO/F4W was far more focused on that weeks UFC show than anything pro wrestling related, no matter the negative feedback it would get from subscribers. Boxing was only ever mentioned in passing when Floyd Mayweather or Manny Pacquiao were fighting, but of course they knew what they were writing about, obviously...

What the $80 million and counting!?
Floyd Mayweather Will Earn More Than $80 Million For Record Breaking Fight
Wow.

Thats the ce=razy thing about MMA, if someone can draw 2 million PPV buys at $75 dollars on PPV they will probs make 10 million max compare to boxing where they make around 80 million. I can see Jones being intrigued with making money in boxing, u got Mayweather making 60-80 million and jones making 1-5 million. The only problem wihs idea is Jones will get pummeled if he boxed with a decent boxer.

I just read in a newspaper that the fight did 2,2M buys and Floyd earned 80M. Insane numbers.

Thats the ce=razy thing about MMA, if someone can draw 2 million PPV buys at $75 dollars on PPV they will probs make 10 million max compare to boxing where they make around 80 million. I can see Jones being intrigued with making money in boxing, u got Mayweather making 60-80 million and jones making 1-5 million. The only problem wihs idea is Jones will get pummeled if he boxed with a decent boxer.

You are being generous. All fighters combined will get 10 million. But yea Jones would be stupid to go over to boxing, at least with his sponsorships he stands to make a lot more money in MMA in the coming years.

80 million is ridiculous though, i can't even wrap my mind around one fight making that much for one fighter.

Back