Early indications: The One over 2 million PPV buys

ZroC

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
Schaefer is saying he's positive the numbers are over 2 million.

Kevin Iole says he has no official numbers but based on trends and inside sources he would guess around 2.3 million so far.

UPDATE:

Dan Rafael ‏@danrafaelespn 15h
No official numbers yet on #theone but multiple sources in PPV industry & involved say fight is going well over 2M buys w/ shot at record

Whatever the PPV buy number for #theone it will shatter the money record set by Floyd-Oscar, meaning roughly more than $140M in PPV $

Last edited:
Schaefer is saying he's positive the numbers are over 2 million.

Kevin Iole says he has no official numbers but based on trends and inside sources he would guess around 2.3 million so far.

All the signs say this is record breaking.

I knew that shit would hit at least 2mil. I'm still holding out that hit makes a run for the record.

The record is 2.5 million though. They updated the buy rate recently enough.

If it does over 2m it should of already beaten the record comfortably.

The record is 2.5 million though. They updated the buy rate recently enough.

2.5 is heavyweights (and all time) and 2.4 is record for non-heavyweights?

I think they said they needed 1.8 or was it 1.9 to beat it financially

De La Hoya v Mayweather did $134.4 million gross.

2 million sales in this fight would probably generate $140 million at least.

Didn't think it would hit 2 million. Floyd's last ppv did about 800k, Canelo brought in an extra 1.4. Wow!

I think they said they needed 1.8 or was it 1.9 to beat it financially

1.6 I think. That was an unofficial figure about the flat fee. It doesn't cover income like advertising, subscriber increase and international Tv ratings and PPV buys. Good chance this did 500k buys in the UK based on trends (Boxnation subs to be specific.) Mexico showed it on free TV but there was also a PPV option. No numbers there yet but there's a chance the ratings could be bigger than JMM vs Pac. One of the highest rated events in Mexican history.

But yeah given the price it doesn't need to actually break 2.5 million to beat the financial record. It's already set the gate and closed circuit records. It also did so with a higher price tag and higher numbers. It's incredibly exploitive at this stage. People aren't even considering the cost when they buy now. They're just throwing money at them without thinking.

Didn't think it would hit 2 million. Floyd's last ppv did about 800k, Canelo brought in an extra 1.4. Wow!

It did 1 million according to Showtime. That's the source people always demand when they ask for PPV numbers. People are just switching the goal posts.

It did 1 million according to Showtime. That's the source people always demand when they ask for PPV numbers. People are just switching the goal posts.

Nah, I don't buy that bro. Think it did 800-850. Having a guy like Canelo and the Garcia Matthysse fight helped a lot.

Here's some fucking hypocrisy, for May-Ghost Dan already had his insider sources spilling the beans on PPV buys. Now he's asking Schaefer. Where the hell are his magic tarot cards this time? Funny how they seem to have insider sources sometimes but not other times. They seem to randomly decide when they'll believe Schaefer then other times outright ignore the guy.

Dan Rafael ‏@danrafaelespn 9h
Talked to Schaefer this afternoon and he said based on early returns he has no doubt that #TheOne will be over 2M PPV buys.

Dan Rafael ‏@danrafaelespn 15 Sep
Schaefer said he received updated closed circuit numbers for Las Vegas and it was a 26,355 sellout.

Schaefer is a known liar, as are most in his position.

Let's wait and see.

Would be good to see.

It would leave me skeptical tho if it just came from a promoter, imagine Dana White talking about a huge PPV number. Nobody would believe him.

I did think it would come in around 2 million tho.

No official numbers yet on #theone but multiple sources in PPV industry & involved say fight is going well over 2M buys w/ shot at record

Whatever the PPV buy number for #theone it will shatter the money record set by Floyd-Oscar, meaning roughly more than $140M in PPV $

Concidering how mostly meh the fights were, that is quite an achievement.

Back