Early Crawford/Postol PPV estimates

Yeah, Canelo is a guy who can sell about 350k on his own, like he did against Lara and Angulo. That is enough to be profitable, which is unfortunate for us because it means he is going fight almost exclusively on PPV.

In my opinion, if your fight doesn't break 500k, that is a pretty good sign that it should have been on HBO or Showtime. They handled the Kirkland fight the right way and I wish they made the same decision with the upcoming Smith fight. It builds interest with casual fans when they actual have access to watching some fights now and then.

I'd like it to be this way, but Canelo's purses would likely shrink a lot if he was taken off PPV (even if he was only selling 300Kish). I can't see what would compel him to stop.

Crawford IMO is the future P4P champ in the champ. Sad his numbers are so low and even sadder some dummy thought to actually make it PPV instead of HBO. If you have Crawford fighting on PPV you MUST stack the card.

If it does that then it speaks volumes at the star power of Canelo and for sure Oscar will make Triple G jump throw hoops

I can't imagine this ppv doing anything over 150k

Uh oh.

Mike Coppinger saying rumors of 50k

I like this. I don't think every Canelo fight should be PPV either. Certainly not his next one. I'm tired of feeling FORCED to believe he's an elite mega star along the lines of Tyson, Oscar, Cotto, Pac, etc. While he's had moments of greatness, he hasn't been consistently great like those other fighters were in their prime. I know he can do big numbers with other big names, but his star power isn't so big as to have EVERY fight be PPV. The Smith fight, for example, will probably do like 250k buys.
If it does GGG vs Lemieux numbers I'd be surprised but then maybe these guys will get serious about making the fight happen.

The difference being that Canelo has sort of proven that enough people will pay for his fights to make it profitable, though I agree with the general idea you presented.
Yeah, I agree, that's why I think it's going to have to be GGG to do well on a PPV and not wait on Canelo to bomb on one. We'll see how much backlash he gets for ducking GGG.

If it does that then it speaks volumes at the star power of Canelo and for sure Oscar will make Triple G jump throw hoops

I can't imagine this ppv doing anything over 150k
He basically is a star, or at least a budding star. I think only the backlash would cause him to do less than 250-300k and that's against a guy nobody has heard of before. If he does less than 150 you'd really have to wonder if he wouldn't have been better off facing GGG even if he lost the fight.

You have to factor in gates,sponsors,etc. They made enough money.

Not sure how much the gate was considering there were only 7K people in attendance and who knows how many paid.
I'm really big on Crawford but that type of fight should be at least co-main for a PPV if not on the undercard...

I'm really big on Crawford but that type of fight should be at least co-main for a PPV if not on the undercard...
Agreed , Crawford if he continues his winning ways can be that big ppv star but first needs to be marketed right ?

People say he is anti media so maybe he will be that super talented guy but never a ppv star

Agreed , Crawford if he continues his winning ways can be that big ppv star but first needs to be marketed right ?

People say he is anti media so maybe he will be that super talented guy but never a ppv star

There's no reason Crawford couldn't be a decent level star, his promoter needs to get to work for him and get him out there.

He basically is a star, or at least a budding star. I think only the backlash would cause him to do less than 250-300k and that's against a guy nobody has heard of before. If he does less than 150 you'd really have to wonder if he wouldn't have been better off facing GGG even if he lost the fight.

I can tell you here in Mexico he is still loved by most but even the diehard fans question his choice of opponent .

I think his ppv will suffer . I spoke with my American business friends and they won't be buying it for thier bars so that's telling

If. Canelo wins in spectacular ko than his next fights will be about Canelo and won't matter who he picks because his fans will just go watch to see him ko fighters

Yeah I was thinking the same thing after some things were posted last week. I don't think he'll end up a Broner but if he plays it too aloof or anti social he'll miss out on being a main stream star.

There's no reason Crawford couldn't be a decent level star, his promoter needs to get to work for him and get him out there.
Yeah but it really starts with him. Guys like McGregor and Mayweather promote themselves and have the type of personality that brings fans in and makes it easy for the promoters.

Yeah but it really starts with him. Guys like McGregor and Mayweather promote themselves and have the type of personality that brings fans in and makes it easy for the promoters.

Robbie Lawler doesn't have much of a personality and doesn't really promote himself either and he is normally good for about 300K ppv buys. If Crawford could get to that level I would say that's pretty good.

Back