Early 1900's Judo footage of De La Riva sweep

http://www.bjjheroes.com/featured/the-de-la-riva-guard

Real interesting footage that is cited on this bjj heroes article. I checked out those old kosen judo comps and it shows some guys going from dlr to x guard sweeps. Fascinating stuff.

I do agree that the refinement of such moves happened in Brazil under the likes of Ricardo De La Riva.

The Valente brothers on their videos in regards to history even point to how moves in modern jiu jitsu also have their roots in the past of old jujutsu/judo ne waza. However the refinement of such techniques have occurred due to BJJ.

Another interesting link is the photos of Okano. Oswaldo Alves trained with Okano and Alves said he brought stuff back to the Gracies that they had yet seen. Through those techniques various sweeps and guards have been delevoped.

I think it's safe to assume that every possible grappling technique or position has existed long before we had an internet to argue about it, photos to capture it, or even ink and paper to write about it. The near 1:1 ratio of human cultures to folk grappling styles means that hominids were likely grappling each other since we ukemi'd out of the trees. Humanity is almost guaranteed to have found every possible grappling position by now; like the 'million monkeys on a million typewriters' thing, only with our meathead ancestors rolling around dirt circles for shits and giggles.

So, I think that these 'gotcha' arguments about who invented which move are kind of pointless. Grapplers and grappling styles can focus on certain movements and game plans, but any claim to original invention is about as accurate as me claiming to have invented the stick.

I think it's safe to assume that every possible grappling technique or position has existed long before we had an internet to argue about it, photos to capture it, or even ink and paper to write about it. The near 1:1 ratio of human cultures to folk grappling styles means that hominids were likely grappling each other since we ukemi'd out of the trees. Humanity is almost guaranteed to have found every possible grappling position by now; like the 'million monkeys on a million typewriters' thing, only with our meathead ancestors rolling around dirt circles for shits and giggles.

So, I think that these 'gotcha' arguments about who invented which move are kind of pointless. Grapplers and grappling styles can focus on certain movements and game plans, but any claim to original invention is about as accurate as me claiming to have invented the stick.

That's why I said the more things change the more they stay the same.

I said this in the heavies a while ago and got a load of shit from mostly Gracie fanboys who were like 'yeah but now we practise it as a hobby and discuss it on the internet', like that gives people more incentive to train and discuss techniques than survival.

Back