EA UFC v5 discussion "Does anyone still play anymore?"

I seem to dominate with Dominick Cruz. Any suggestions for similar fighters or strategies at other weight classes?

Gus at LHW

Thanks, but I just had a fight using Machida where Jon Jones got an immediate takedown after not moving and making me come to him, then I literally couldn't do anything to get up after he immediately gets full mount, every transition and escape attempt was blocked despite him throwing nonstop punches, he just didn't posture up but I was already totally red. It was completely broken, I refuse to call that skill. I think I'm just staying out of MW and LHW, it's just zero fun trying to fight against that.

I did keep my belt and was two wins away from Red Belt. Lost one to a flash KO against McGregor in what may have been my first loss with Cruz after dominating for 2 rounds. I feel like I'm on the edge of Red. Feels good for being so late to the game.

I actually just played online today for the first time in awhile. Went 3-0

Jacare UD vs Gus
My BW CAF via RD2 KO vs Bruce Lee
Rashad RD1 KO vs Shogun

4-1 in Black Belt right now and I'm feeling confident. Wish me luck!

Wow 5-1, secured the rank and I very well may make it to Red. :eek:

YES!!! 7-1! I did it! Knocked out McGregor in the first with Cruz, avenged some questionable losses. I'm so psyched.

YES!!! 7-1! I did it! Knocked out McGregor in the first with Cruz, avenged some questionable losses. I'm so psyched.

Haha, glad you're enjoying the game. You made it to the shark tank!

Haha, glad you're enjoying the game. You made it to the shark tank!

I was proud until I saw everyone's profiles on here, I'm still a noob even at red lmao.

I may sound like I'm bitching about the game in here, but honestly I think it's easily the best MMA game to date and the problems I have are pretty much the only things keeping it from perfect.

I'm trying to get this submission mini game down. fucking hell. I'm doing the tutorial thing w/ Penn and somebody and I've only been able to do it once in 30 tries.

tips?

I refuse to call that skill. I think I'm just staying out of MW and LHW, it's just zero fun trying to fight against that.

So what is that if not skill? Are you able to hold people in mount like that? With that attitude you are not going to get any better. Mount is powerful but it should be. If you get mounted you should roll to your back to minimize the damage they can do and fake transitions*. That is pretty much the only way to escape a good mount/back control. Just try to avoid getting mounted since if its a good player on top of you getting out is going to be really hard. If your opponent gets to side control just worry about denying the mount transition. In general avoid being on your back at all costs.

*Transition faking is when you flick the right stick to the opposite side where you want to transition. By doing that your fighter starts the transition animation then you quickly need to do the other transition. If your opponent denies the fake they are unable to block the real transition. It can be a bit tricky to find the sweet spot where you need to flick to start the fake but with a little bit of practice its not that hard. Hopefully my explanation makes atleast some sense.

I'm trying to get this submission mini game down. fucking hell. I'm doing the tutorial thing w/ Penn and somebody and I've only been able to do it once in 30 tries.

tips?

Defensively, try to keep them guessing. Switch it up and go a little bit one way and little bit the other. Only switch around between three directions at the most though, otherwise you'll run out of time and it will move into the next stage. Use flicks, and don't make it painfully obvious which way you're trying to go. Flick to the left, flick down, then take a hard right etc. OR go rapidly in two different directions.

Offensively, I usually get them in a sub without really trying too hard to sub them (just to test the waters). As long as you don't make it to the later stages, they won't advance position upon escaping the sub. During that first "sub attempt", see which directions they are going for and look for a pattern. Other than that, you just have to be johnny on the spot when they move left, up, down, etc.

It took me a LONG time to get used to it. At one point before the leaderboards were reset I had over 900 KO's before I got my first sub lol. I'm still no submission artist by any means, but I probably get 1 sub out of every 8 or 9 fights (mostly from rocking someone, then immediately subbing them once they dive for TD in desperation). You'll get the hang of it eventually.

So what is that if not skill? Are you able to hold people in mount like that? With that attitude you are not going to get any better. Mount is powerful but it should be. If you get mounted you should roll to your back to minimize the damage they can do and fake transitions*. That is pretty much the only way to escape a good mount/back control. Just try to avoid getting mounted since if its a good player on top of you getting out is going to be really hard. If your opponent gets to side control just worry about denying the mount transition. In general avoid being on your back at all costs.

*Transition faking is when you flick the right stick to the opposite side where you want to transition. By doing that your fighter starts the transition animation then you quickly need to do the other transition. If your opponent denies the fake they are unable to block the real transition. It can be a bit tricky to find the sweet spot where you need to flick to start the fake but with a little bit of practice its not that hard. Hopefully my explanation makes atleast some sense.

Hanri! I might jump online in a few if you wanna have a couple matches.

Last edited:

Thanks, I will continue to work on it. I've just never had any issue getting out of mount. Minor and major transitions were useless, it just really seemed broken to me. I could definitely be wrong but it just felt like they picked an OP guy and figured out the cheapest way to win. If rolling to your stomach is the way out of that though, it just means I'm still learning the mechanics. It still isn't a lot of fun to me, the grappling game feels really weak in some respect, so I'm not excited to spend time mastering that spot. Which I'm probably just overly critical of the spot since I'm a grappler in real life.

Defensively, try to keep them guessing. Switch it up and go a little bit one way and little bit the other. Only switch around between three directions at the most though, otherwise you'll run out of time and it will move into the next stage. Use flicks, and don't make it painfully obvious which way you're trying to go. Flick to the left, flick down, then take a hard right etc. OR go rapidly in two different directions.

Offensively, I usually get them in a sub without really trying too hard to sub them (just to test the waters). As long as you don't make it to the later stages, they won't advance position upon escaping the sub. During that first "sub attempt", see which directions they are going for and look for a pattern. Other than that, you just have to be johnny on the spot when they move left, up, down, etc.

It took me a LONG time to get used to it. At one point before the leaderboards were reset I had over 900 KO's before I got my first sub lol. I'm still no submission artist by any means, but I probably get a 1 sub out of every 8 or 9 fights (mostly from rocking someone, then immediately subbing them once they dive for TD in desperation). You'll get the hang of it eventually.

Hanri! I might jump online in a few if you wanna have a couple matches.

my problem is when the left and right stick indicators pop up at the same time. I can't really read them in time and I flick for the wrong one. If they had made the them different colours it would be fucking easy.

my problem is when the left and right stick indicators pop up at the same time. I can't really read them in time and I flick for the wrong one. If they had made the them different colours it would be fucking easy.

Right, I know what you mean. It really takes some getting used to; other than that you just have to be patient and not jump the gun on the advancement cue.

WalkenWouldOwn said it best a few posts ago. The game is pretty much about managing your stamina and waiting for the opportune time for your opponent to blow his then you pounce. I smell a tournament in the near future. Last one we did we did a draft based on the weakest players selecting their fighters first. The weightclass was LHW.....I believe the finals were WWO vs Hanri. And naturally, Hanri won. What weight class should the next tourney be in? Should we do a draft based on weakest players selecting first again?

Here are my rankings......feel free to bitch and complain this is Sherdog

1 Hanri-(Henkkake)
2 Fzubek-(Fero405)
3 BJPenn2012(Yougotsonnened)
4 SportKillerGreg (MarshallLawWins)
5 Warmaster(itchy_tasty_1996)
6 Albe (Galdi777)
7 WalkenWouldOwn(wombatPr1de)
8 Paladin985(Paladin985)
9 Tankkam(Tankkam)
10 Mooninite54(Mrbananatrousers)
11 Garnett Silk(BxTilikum)
12 Frank28(xtortedQc)
13 maxtheripper (max__rip13)
14 dooze(ekajwxm)
15 Tcekilla (TceKilla)
16 murlik (wrexmex)

Feel free to add players I left out......any newbs I have to fight you before I can seed you

http://forums.sherdog.com/forums/f88/official-ps4-lhw-tournament-2955945/

Wow the previous tourney thread went 82 pages......that SCREAMS of epicness

reverse-1244710040_funny_face_zoom_in.gif

Last edited:

3701576-3678305461-gif18.gif

One is blue the other is red

WalkenWouldOwn said it best a few posts ago. The game is pretty much about managing your stamina and waiting for the opportune time for your opponent to blow his then you pounce. I smell a tournament in the near future. Last one we did we did a draft based on the weakest players selecting their fighters first. The weightclass was LHW.....I believe the finals were WWO vs Hanri. And naturally, Hanri won. What weight class should the next tourney be in? Should we do a draft based on weakest players selecting first again?

Here are my rankings......feel free to bitch and complain this is Sherdog

Feel free to add players I left out......any newbs I have to fight you before I can seed you

http://forums.sherdog.com/forums/f88/official-ps4-lhw-tournament-2955945/

Wow the previous tourney thread went 82 pages......that SCREAMS of epicness

reverse-1244710040_funny_face_zoom_in.gif

slick3663

Let's fight as soon as we can. I'm itching to see where I stand lol.

Back