Social E-Cig vapor may cause lung cancer (new study w/mice)

believe me I know.. the generation before me in my family is all but withered away - all smokers. I'm literally bedside by my dad right now in the hospital, a lifelong smoker. cigarette addiction has made its horrible mark upon my family tree, & I wouldn't wish it upon anyone in the world to go through the shit I've gone/continue to go through as a result of this bullshit.

I'm currently trying to get one of my all time best friends to quit. it hurts me thinking about what's to come if he doesn't.
Your dad will be in my thoughts, brother.

Who could have seen this coming? I was sure inhaling mystery chemicals would be super safe.

believe me I know.. the generation before me in my family is all but withered away - all smokers. I'm literally bedside by my dad right now in the hospital, a lifelong smoker. cigarette addiction has made its horrible mark upon my family tree, & I wouldn't wish it upon anyone in the world to go through the shit I've gone/continue to go through as a result of this bullshit.

I'm currently trying to get one of my all time best friends to quit. it hurts me thinking about what's to come if he doesn't.

My dad died of lung cancer in 2010. It never completely goes away but it gets better with time.

My dad hadn't smoked since the 1970s.

Your dad will be in my thoughts, brother.

giphy.gif

My dad died of lung cancer in 2010. It never completely goes away but it gets better with time.

My dad hadn't smoked since the 1970s.

my condolences. that, too is a worry of mine.

These f'n guys. I wanna smack'm so hard. I assume it's how cowboys who smoked cigs felt when some dandy would show up with one of those annoying metallic cig extenders, french inhaling and shit.
Have you seen the dorkiest fattest Filipino kids managing to look cool by blowing vapor up their asses? They hang out in groups doing nothing but that all day thinking they’ve arrived
. So much waste

22% of the mice were subjected to the same level of vaping in a 54 week period as a teen does in 5-6 YEARS of vaping.

Sounds an awefull lot like an old debunked MJ study

I prefer the word of actual researchers when it comes to these sorts of studies. Your layman suggestion that this is "bullshit" doesn't convince me that higher levels of exposure over a shorter period of time for the purpose of this study should make me unconcerned about its potential cancer-causing properties.

Another difference that was noted in the study is that this was done with full body exposure rather than inhalation, and for all I know inhalation is far more problematic (or is it less problematic?). I'll have to defer to experts on that, too.

Professional researchers in the 70's found that smoking weed could cause permanent brain damage after testing the effects of cannabis on chimps. Turned out that the chimps were given gas masks and fed concentrated smoke for over 5 minutes at a time and the damage was caused from hypoxia.

The mice were exposed to the vaping for 4 hours per day.

It was LOL all these nicotine addicts telling me that that vaping is 100% safe.. on something that's been out like a few years or a decade and not extensively scientifically studied. fucking lmao .

This wasn't a "yeah duh" for me. I knew of no specific way that vaping could potentially turn nicotine into a carcinogen.
Yeah, that's addict logic. I can't think of a way it can be harmful therefor it's not harmful and all studies telling me that my addiction might be harmful are bullshit. Alcoholics, whatever, always have a way of reasoning that *their* drug isn't hurting them or isn't hurting them as much.

Grandfather got lung cancer, holy shit that's a painful -- for your family and especially you --, humiliating (your body's gonna bloat up on your deathbed because you can't move for weeks in hospice while you whimper and cry to your family barely coherent on pain meds), and long way to die.. guys, don't smoke.

If you've gotten that far it shouldn't be much more difficult to go nicotine free, or if you're not ready change to the gum for a month and then go n-free. Assuming you did it for your health, why put it at any further unnecessary risk?

Cuz when you're doing art it's weirdly hard to remove an oral fixation.

Well no shit.

VG = Vegetable Glycerin which is commonly derived from Corn aka High Fructose Corn Syrup.

Eatting too many fucking pancakes can give you cancer.

Eatting too many Starburst can give you cancer.

Eatting too many Pop-Tarts can give you cancer.

Eatting too much fake ass Chinese Take Out can damn sure give you cancer

Go to your fridge and see how much High Fructose Corn Syrup you are unknowingly injesting.

Calculate that shit up and ask yourself if you are ready to turn 35.

That article is not the actual research. It's just an opinion piece ABOUT the actual NYU study.

Here is the ACTUAL ORIGINAL study by Moon Sung Tang. Have a read - your article conveniently left out a few parts and misrepresented what was found.

https://www.pnas.org/content/115/24/E5439

And accompanying article from that same research paper site.

https://www.pnas.org/content/115/24/E5439

"Shedding some light on this matter, side-by-side experiments have shown that oral and lung cells exposed to electronic cigarette aerosol have significantly lower levels of DNA damage than those exposed to tobacco smoke."

"Altogether, these data support the notion that electronic cigarette use increases cancer risk but is still safer than combustible tobacco."

So basically it's the nicotine over prolonged period that's bad - in both vapor and cigarettes. Yea obviously vapor or smoking are not great for health. However, cigarettes are still FAR WORSE.

And this is coming from a Cig smoker who has been for over 20 years.
I'm aware that press release coverage isn't the actual research. I also touch on e-cigs being less harmful regardless. Thanks for the info- I'll throw those two links in the OP just in case there is anybody who understands nicotine metabolite genomic adduction, but is unable to find the study.

Yeah, that's addict logic. I can't think of a way it can be harmful therefor it's not harmful and all studies telling me that my addiction might be harmful are bullshit. Alcoholics, whatever, always have a way of reasoning that *their* drug isn't hurting them or isn't hurting them as much.
That's not logic I've heard from a vape user before. There have been lots of lies, misinfo, and scare tactics about e-cigs over the years, which have turned out to be untrue. However, this research touches on something more concerning, which is the carcinogenic properties of nicotine itself, which has been a long-debated unknown.

Professional researchers in the 70's found that smoking weed could cause permanent brain damage after testing the effects of cannabis on chimps. Turned out that the chimps were given gas masks and fed concentrated smoke for over 5 minutes at a time and the damage was caused from hypoxia.

The mice were exposed to the vaping for 4 hours per day.
Since hypoxia doesn't cause lung cancer and bladder cell growth, I'm not concerned at the overexposure leading to such a similar false conclusion. People have noted that the exposure the mice got was 5-6 times heavier than an average vape user. That doesn't seem ridiculously excessive to me.

Vaping is the most ghetto shit ever. I always lol when I see dudes vaping.
I'm a cigar guy but I'm stuck living with a 3 year old (roommate's kid) and the only time I really have to get nicotine is on the drive to work. I don't want my truck (or my suit) to smell like cigar so I use a vape.

22% of the mice were subjected to the same level of vaping in a 54 week period as a teen does in 5-6 YEARS of vaping.

Sounds an awefull lot like an old debunked MJ study

It feels like most government funded vaping studies are the equivalent of the above now....

@Falsedawn

I'm a cigar guy but I'm stuck living with a 3 year old (roommate's kid) and the only time I really have to get nicotine is on the drive to work. I don't want my truck (or my suit) to smell like cigar so I use a vape.
The vast majority of the time I see somebody vaping, they're just being a normal person like that. I've seen some people being rude with their "clouds" but not often.

Since hypoxia doesn't cause lung cancer and bladder cell growth, I'm not concerned at the overexposure leading to such a similar false conclusion. People have noted that the exposure the mice got was 5-6 times heavier than an average vape user. That doesn't seem ridiculously excessive to me.
I don't think it's 5-6 times heavier.

What it is, is the mice were exposed in like the span of a year what MOST people are exposed to in the span of 5-6. It doesn't give the body a chance to recover.

It's why alcoholics are susceptible to cerrosis and other shit. Their livers never get the chance to recover unlike recreational once every other week type drinkers have.

The vast majority of the time I see somebody vaping, they're just being a normal person like that. I've seen some people being rude with their "clouds" but not often.
I'll be rude as fuck with my clouds when I was a bouncer with a cigar. Some stuck up ass going "ew that stinks" while smoking a cigarette... IN THE FACE goes the next puff of exhaust.

It's also not like vape clouds, from regular non cloud chasing set ups, smells bad either. I'll have a puff or two in my room playing video games and my room consistently smells like cookies or Fruit Gusher berries now.

I don't think it's 5-6 times heavier.

What it is, is the mice were exposed in like the span of a year what MOST people are exposed to in the span of 5-6. It doesn't give the body a chance to recover.

It's why alcoholics are susceptible to cerrosis and other shit. Their livers never get the chance to recover unlike recreational once every other week type drinkers have.
How do we know that "recovery" makes a difference on the cellular/gene level for this, and how do we know the mice didn't "recover?" There may be an analogy to alcohol abuse that makes some sense, but I don't see it. Cirrhosis is scarring and recovery time helps a lot and prolongs the health of the drinker's liver, but this doesn't sound like the same thing to me.

Back