Dynamic Rows

Ayin

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
Apologies ahead of time if this has been covered and re-covered, my only excuse is that my google-fu is weak and I just can't figure it out.

I am looking for either an instructional on Dynamic Rows, or even just a Google video showing someone doing them correctly. I have found a few, but I don't even know what they are supposed to look like, and I would hate to emulate someone who is doing it wrong (or doing the wrong lift entirely).

Thanks for any help.

If you do them for your upper back, do chins. If you do them for the explosive movement, start practising powercleans.

That movement is the only part of the 5x5 routine in the faq I don't like.

I did these with the 5x5 & watched this video about several times for tips: YouTube - Dynamic Rows, Power Snatch, High Pulls

I treated it as a bent-over barbell row with some leg drive to help you move heavier weight. Kind of a "cheater row" I guess...

Same video I saw when I checked out Dynamic Rows. Made me realize I was doing the lift completely wrong. I don't know if that is correct but I have seen other videos doing the same form so.. its commonly done that way evidently.

If you do them for your upper back, do chins. If you do them for the explosive movement, start practising powercleans.

That movement is the only part of the 5x5 routine in the faq I don't like.

Just cause you don't like them doesn't mean they're not a good exercise.

Of course, I don't like doing snatches either, but they are a great exercise. Its just that they feel akward (mostly because of the grip I suppose), if I really wanted to do something like that I would do a BOR with a lot of hip drive.

Oh, and this is from the faq: Eclipse Gym :: View topic - Bill Starr 5x5 Primer - How to create your own 5x5 program , thats the first strength routine I ever did and included the dynamic rows (I started doing BORs anyways)

I think the whole point of dynamic rows is that you do use leg/hip drive allowing you to use more weight. I switch the grip up fairly often, sometimes within the same session. Just be sure to keep your back straight (neutral) and hit your belly with the bar on each rep.

I think the whole point of dynamic rows is that you do use leg/hip drive allowing you to use more weight. I switch the grip up fairly often, sometimes within the same session. Just be sure to keep your back straight (neutral) and hit your belly with the bar on each rep.

That's why I said I like more the power clean if you look after fast hip extension, since the upper back benefits are almost none when you go heavy and end up doing this:

YouTube - PatrioticHighlander's Channel

Well, that's a bit extreme. I don't extend nearly that much, maybe 30-45 degrees above parallel to the floor. I still consider it a BOR. That looked more like a high pull or power shrug

That's it right there, in my opinion. Rows, aka horizontal pulling exercises, are considered accessory exercises by almost everyone. So: Keep it fun, do what seems to work for you, experiment, try to move big weight sometimes, don't overthink things, don't mess up your back.

Back