Dying your Gi blue...anyone do it?

MMAR15

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Looking to dye an off white and a white Gi blue. Saw a thread online for the "how-to" part but I couldn't find anywhere that someone mentioned which color blue they used.

I'd like to dye it the same/similar color blue you find most Jiu Jitsu Gi's.

I don't know much about dyeing clothes but just curious...if you self dye clothing, is it likely that the dye could bleed off onto other people's gi's even after time? Or is a home dye job just as safe as when professionally done?

Lol I dyed an old white gi gray one time and it just looked like it was dirty and covered in sweat, so I dyed it black and it turned out gray. Too much trouble for me.

My Gi already has some dye on it, left it on a table with those little solid chalk like bits of dye, got some sweat on it and well, can guess the rest, maybe some of these videos would help some lol.

Thanks for the link. I saw that and it looks like good instruction. I'm just looking for what specific color blue someone used to get the "BJJ blue" look.

Maybe you shouldn't bother much about it. Some of the coolest gis I have seen weren't quite the judo/jiu-jitsu blue.

go the thai dye style from the 70s... imagine seeing THAT at training.. would distract you for sure!!

I inadvertently died my gi baby blue when I washed it with a new blue belt. I look like a robin egg on the mat; it's awesome.

I think I remember reading in Best Judo (don't have the book around right now) that they used to dye their belts when they were promoted in Japan.

My guess would be azure blue. I'm planning on dyeing my gi (chemicals should arrive in the next few days), though it's going to be either charcoal or wedgewood blue (http://www.stevebjj.com/admin/uploads/BadBoyProSeriesLightweightJiuJitsuGiRevi_117A3/IMG_1165.jpg). I'll dye a couple t-shirts and decide which color I like more.

AWESOME. Thanks for the reply. This is exactly the type of answer I was looking for.

Please reply or shoot me an IM when you do it to let me know how it turns out.

Thanks

Be prepared to turn your skin blue when you sweat in it.
Why don't you just pay the extra $20 and buy a blue gi?

I just don't see this ending well. Lots of effort, dye that will bleed on everything else in your washing machine (and maybe other ppl's gis), and likely a disappointing final result. Why bother?

Be prepared to turn your skin blue when you sweat in it.
Why don't you just pay the extra $20 and buy a blue gi?

I just don't see this ending well. Lots of effort, dye that will bleed on everything else in your washing machine (and maybe other ppl's gis), and likely a disappointing final result. Why bother?

They won't bleed if you buy quality fiber reactive dyes and all the necessary chemicals. But if you buy the cheap $3 a bottle dye from the grocery store you'll have problems.

i'd also fix it with vinegar when you're done, then run it thru the wash a few times just to be extra safe. i'd feel awful if i stained someone elses gi.

that said, if i were you i'd embrace the imperfect nature of home dyeing. if you want it to look professionally done, buy a blue gi. but home dye jobs can look really cool! the slight variations and imperfections are what make it neat.

im thinking about using one of these products/ tutorials to dye my gi. but i have a few questions.
Has anyone tried any dying with a darkish crimson color or brown?

will it turn out a lot differently or badly if my gi is unbleached/ natural color?

would there be a safe/ easy way to bleach my gi, and if there is would it be worth it?

I dyed my white pants blue last week, because I don't have white top. Quite a lot of work, had to boil it while putting salt to make the color stick as per instructions on the dye sachet. still didn't get the color evenly, looked more like an old very used blue gi pants now, lol.

Back